Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NCAA Selection Comittee - how it's done

Add topic

Hey all. In ONE OF THE BEST SPORTS ARTICLES I HAVE EVER READ, a San Antonio Express News writer breaks down how the NCAA Selection Committee picks the 65 teams to enter into March Madness.

A few things you should know before reading this:
  1. San Antonio Express News is a local paper. He is writing for fans of the Big 12…hence the continued mention of Texas, Texas A & M, Baylor, etc.
  2. Lynn Hickey is the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) Athletics Director. She has been selected to have a seat on the selection committee this spring.
  3. The NCAA Final Four will be in San Antonio this year, with UTSA (my place of employment. yay!) is the "host school."
It takes a while to read it, but it's OUTSTANDING.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/college/stories/MYSA021008_MockSelectionSunday.en.a8a94daa.html

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: NCAA Selection Comittee - how it's done

OK great know I know how the at large bids are determined call me crazy but I dont think FAU will be getting an at large bid
Back to the top

wpierso3 said

OK great know I know how the at large bids are determined call me crazy but I dont think FAU will be getting an at large bid

Nope, not this year!

Back to the top

NCAA Selection Comittee - how it's done

If the SunBelt doesn't get two teams into the "Dance' this year, it mght never do it.

With both South Alabama (RPI of 30?) and Western Kentucky at 20-something-and-little, should one win the tourney and the other one place high, it would appear they would both be in.

But then that's what Troy thought two months ago. :(

It would get interesting if, say, FAU stormed through the tourney and won it. Both USA and WKU would also deserve spots in the Dance, but chances would be that at least one would be $#%^& out of luck, despite the fact that either could reach the Sweet 16.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

If the SunBelt doesn't get two teams into the "Dance' this year, it mght never do it.

yeah, not enough OOC wins that are considered "quality"…

i mena let's face it, TBE is stacked in and out…so when they play each other 18 times, you have a hard case to make…

SEC is on the major rise too last two years…
Back to the top

A second place 'Belt team with 25 or so wins has to get in.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

A second place 'Belt team with 25 or so wins has to get in.

I know it doesn't mean much and it's too early to tell but on Espn.com bracketology they have So. Alabama as an 11 seed but one of their bubble teams is WKU. I hope they both make it because it would make the belt look better

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: