Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Big East Rumblins?

Big East Rumblins?

Not to stir THIS pot again but i will.

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9643

Apparently ESPN is rumbling about Big East looking for expansion of a 9th Team.

Does FAU Fit, Deserve, or have what it takes to make it as a Big East school?

In My mind

Pluses:

New Basketball arena, Hot up and coming Football team, Top Rated baseball, Softball, Swimming teams, Frank Brogan, THE VOICE, Large market in the sought after Florida area.

Minus-

Lack of Support, lack of fans, Poor Image (commuter School), Not centralized, Budget issues, no track record, basketball teams are iffy.

Do you think that Brogan, Angelo's, and Coach are calling in favors and making the connections?

Discuss.

;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: Big East Rumblins?

i dont think so this early on.....i believe we have to repeat atleast another 2 years in football and build more of a following nationaly........just my thoughts.......but would love to get to the big east, but then again we could run the belt for a good few years.....
Back to the top

I think we are 5-6 years away from even being considered.  Facilities are a big minus, they are not even up to par with the Belt more or less the BE - Basketball will get there and will have to get better in order for this to happen.

Facilities are top priority, support will follow & should be strong enough in 5-6 years.  There are a few schools that are in better shape right now - yes, UCF & Troy are ahead of us in both of these categories.
Just how soon will the BE expand will determine if we even have a chance, if it's within three year we might be left out of any consideration - we just won't be ready. We need our on-campus stadium for football, upgraded baseball & convocation center.  With the Innovation Village being part of future expansion, school spirit should rise and support will follow.
Back to the top

Bytor said

I think we are 5-6 years away from even being considered.  Facilities are a big minus, they are not even up to par with the Belt more or less the BE - Basketball will get there and will have to get better in order for this to happen.

Facilities are top priority, support will follow & should be strong enough in 5-6 years.  There are a few schools that are in better shape right now - yes, UCF & Troy are ahead of us in both of these categories.
Just how soon will the BE expand will determine if we even have a chance, if it's within three year we might be left out of any consideration - we just won't be ready. We need our on-campus stadium for football, upgraded baseball & convocation center.  With the Innovation Village being part of future expansion, school spirit should rise and support will follow.

I think we can all acknowledge that we're not ready for the BE yet. As pointed out, we need better facilities, better attendance and more on-campus housing to really make it worth it to the Big East. UCF will probably clench it before us unless they take a serious downturn in ability to win games (not likely since their new facilities should boost recruiting and better recruiting usually leads to more wins). So the question is, if UCF gets the Big East spot, would they still consider us later on (since they'll already have UCF and USF) and if they won't, what non-SBC conference would? ACC has Miami and FSU… SEC wouldn't touch us with a fifty foot pole…

I imagine we'll likely be in CUSA around 2010, for better or worse. I'm not too impressed with the CUSA teams, honestly, and if Troy/MTSU/even FIU continue to get better (better rankings, better crowds, etc) then – as weird as it may sound to say this – we might be better off in the Sun Belt.

But again, I think we'll likely join the CUSA next and BE talk is premature. Now, if BE expands in 2015 and doesn't take UCF before that, we'd have a better shot. The later, the better for us I think.
Back to the top

The SunBelt is better than CUSA now, but the perception is that is is worse off. The 'Belt leadership is dropping the ball.

USF was no better off than FAU and other mentioned a few years ago. Lobbying by its president got it into the Big East. It was a very lucky situation.

Moving up in conference affiliation grew the school in perception and spurred fan and monetary support.

UCF is not a lock because USF does not want it in the same league (or to play it in any sports). The Big East would be better off with a South Florida team (much bigger markets, combined) than two Central Florida programs.

Back to the top

I agree with everyone else as much as I'd like to move to the big east it just won't happen for us right now. I don't like it anymore then the rest of you but I don't think the BE is even considering us at this time. I'm sure UCF is on their list as is a team like Memphis. Yes they're football team got destroyed but they did make a bowl game and their BBall team is # 1 in the country right now.

Who knows what the future will hold but even though right now the Sunbelt is better then C-USA when we are ready for a move up if it happens to be C-USA that may not be the case anymore and even if it is we need to get to better bowls. As of right now C-USA gets a lot more respect from everyone around the country then the Sun Belt does.

I'd like to get the campus on stadium first and pack the house for a year or two and then worry about the rest of our facilities before we move to another conference. Basically as long as we play at Lockhart we won't be considered for anything

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Basically as long as we play at Lockhart we won't be considered for anything

And the Burrow, really.

As long as we play at the Burrow we won't be considered for a jump upwards. It's just not a BE-level facility (this from Walters himself)

We need a Mitchell Center-type facility but in order to justify that we have to pack the Burrow first. And we're not going to pack the Burrow until we get more students on campus, we have better local marketing to get the community involved, we let staff in for free, and we do away with the parking fee (so, essentially reduce a large part of our revenue… revenue versus attendance… that's the call they have to make it seems)
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Jab979 said

Basically as long as we play at Lockhart we won't be considered for anything

And the Burrow, really.

As long as we play at the Burrow we won't be considered for a jump upwards. It's just not a BE-level facility (this from Walters himself)

We need a Mitchell Center-type facility but in order to justify that we have to pack the Burrow first. And we're not going to pack the Burrow until we get more students on campus, we have better local marketing to get the community involved, we let staff in for free, and we do away with the parking fee (so, essentially reduce a large part of our revenue… revenue versus attendance… that's the call they have to make it seems)

Unfortunately the Burrow won't be rebuilt anytime soon. Had we gotten the dome we could make an argument that we can play inside the dome kind of like 'cuse does with the Carrier dome, but no such luck.

They just spent a lot of money to refurbish it, they won't knock it down and start all over not until they at least have a reason for doing so. If we were drawing over 1,000 people a game then it would be different. We won't draw big crowds at the burrow either another reason the BE won't consider us right now. If you were a big time team would you want to play in a H.S. gym even it has been refurbished

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Let's just worry about getting the football stadium built before anything else.  Once that is done, everything else will take care of itself.  I don't know when the next round of conference shuffling will be, but I'd imagine we'd be part of it.  I highly doubt our next step will be into the Big East, but a move to CUSA is much more possible(especially if UCF goes to the BE, leaving no Florida teams).  I know, you can say that the Belt is currently a better football conference, but public perception counts for a lot…not to mention 4 additional bowl bids.  Unless the Belt finds a way to increase it's number of bowls and TV coverage, CUSA is still the preferred conference. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Let's just worry about getting the football stadium built before anything else.  Once that is done, everything else will take care of itself.

Exactly! Although it doesn't hurt to speculate on the exciting future we have in front of us.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top
Control functions: