Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2008 look ahead for the sunbelt...

2008 look ahead for the sunbelt...

Courtesy of a Link I found on the Troy Boards…

Scout.com: 2008 Early Sun Belt Lookaheads

Florida Atlantic
Why to get excited: Last year was good, really, really good, winning the Sun Belt title and soundly beating Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl. Last year was supposed to be a stepping stone to this season. Ten starters return to the league's second best offense, led by QB Rusty Smith, while eight players are back on defense. If this isn't the preseason Sun Belt favorite, it'll be a close No. 2.

Why to be grouchy: As always, the Owls have to survive a brutal early schedule going on the road for five of the first seven games. There are only four true home games with the season ender against FIU played on a neutral site in Miami. Making things tougher is the timing of the showdown against Troy as the first home game coming after three straight road trips. Defensively, the team should be loaded except in the secondary where safeties Taheem Acevedo and Kris Bartels have to be replaced.

The number one thing to work on is: Everything about the punting game. The Owls were terrific on kickoff returns but were among the worst in the nation on punt returns averaging a mere 4.12 yards per try. Considering most Sun Belt teams need good field position to do much of anything, the punting has to be better after finishing 112th in the nation, and last in the Sun Belt, averaging a mere 31.61 yards per kick.

Biggest offensive loss: OG Jarrid Smith
Biggest defensive loss: LB Cergile Sincere
Best returning offensive player: QB Rusty Smith, Jr.
Best returning defensive player: LB Frantz Joseph, Sr.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: 2008 look ahead for the sunbelt...

Biggest defensive gain:

All signed linebackers.

We signed the best LB core hands down…BUT, they do have to show up to School, and do thier part obviously…

And, i'd rather be picked last than first….so let's Hope for second, or third, or whatever!
Back to the top

BEAT TEXAS!
Back to the top

great write up
Back to the top
Control functions: