Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Another FAU scandal?

Add topic

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/opinion/epaper/2008/02/19/m20a_leadedit_FAU_0219.html

Florida Atlantic University is offering an intriguing new class: Damage Control. Students, though, will have to wait. Administrators have filled all the slots.

For the second time in less than a year, The Post has caught FAU denying, and then back-filling. Ten months ago, it was the departure of fund-raiser Lawrence Davenport. This time, it's the hiring of foreign teachers at what the federal government considers slave wages.
Back to the top

Re: Another FAU scandal?

Im goinmg to take a hit for this statement but so be it:

This is what the capitol system is based upon - free market labor rates…There are millions of other teachers of Indian decent who would love the job(s)…

actually i think FAU did a good job of looking to fill its needs the cheapest way possible…

""They understood the rules," he said of the teachers and their salaries. FAU, though, will suspend the program until it can be "reconfigured" to reduce the university's time and money for "mentoring" the foreign teachers until they are prepared to teach in the United States."
Back to the top

im with you Florida Owl, FAU is a business, just like any other school.  The equation is simple:

Growing school needs teachers
+Budget cuts reducing available salaries

= Find the teachers that will work for lower salaries.

From that article, I don't really see where something wrong was done, you gonna tell me that UF or FSU does not "tweak" certain programs to make things work.  Yes, it sucks that local/american teachers did not get the jobs, but if I need "X" dollars to cover bills every month, and FAU offers me half that, I'm not working for them.  I am sure that there is more to this story, but right now the major problem with this that I see is that students will not understand what their professor is saying, therefore not understanding whatever concept is being taught. And if you can't understand your teacher, then you are not gonna to their office and ask about it later.  I know I had that problem in physics.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

It's not really a scandal but the whole thing is ridiculous.

They needed teachers. They found them. The teachers agreed to the wages.

If the state thinks they are abnormally low wages, then either supplement the program with funding or halt it completely and fund a different program. It's lose-lose for them to complain but they get ethical points for it.

FAU did not make any money off the program. Brogan was quoted saying they LOST money. As a result, they're going to discontinue the program.

Anyway, it underscores once again the need for FAU to hire a competent PR person who can see these things coming instead of having administrative officials react to it after the fact.
Back to the top

duder said

The equation is simple:

Growing school needs teachers
+Budget cuts reducing available salaries

= Find the teachers that will work for lower salaries.

Print that, Palm Beach Post!

Back to the top

What was the Sun-Sentinel's take on the story?

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

What was the Sun-Sentinel's take on the story?

it was an editorial…havent seen one from the sun sentinel (yet)
Back to the top

Sorry, but FAU is wrong on this one.  It is exploitation.  Plain and simple.

Teachers are already underpaid, and a full-time instructor who is American wouldn't work for assitant pay (they work for peanuts already)—much less agree to have part of their salary siphoned off for god knows was bureucratic extravagances/duplicites.  I wouldn't, and I teach.  But maybe, just maybe Indians with no direct understanding of the cost of living, labor policies, etc. would.

FAU's actions are a twisted version of outsourcing: instead of exporting the job, they import cheaper foreign labor.  Sure, there are programs for critical needs areas and for those with specialized skill sets.  But this ain't it.  It's cheap in every sense of the word.

The capitalist system is only too correct.  Why do people form unions?  Because of disreputable practices like this and, of course, worse.  (Read The Jungle) Unfortunately, right-to-work policies grind out any attempt to organize.  Although, the apathetic workforce deserves its share of blame.

As for budget cuts, that no excuse.  Every four years the citizenry can vote in those who cut funding for higher education based on unsound and ideologically motivated economic policy or they can vote for those who value education enough to actually pay for it with—-oh no—tax revenue.  (The parties shall remain nameless).  This is what my Mom would call "Robbing Peter to pay Paul."  Pay the teachers.  Raise tuition.  Curtail enrollment.  Stop cutting taxes.  These poor friggin' "coolies" (I use the term with appropriate historic irony) are merely the tip of the iceberg. 
Back to the top

El said

Sorry, but FAU is wrong on this one.  It is exploitation.  Plain and simple.

Teachers are already underpaid, and a full-time instructor who is American wouldn't work for assitant pay (they work for peanuts already)—much less agree to have part of their salary siphoned off for god knows was bureucratic extravagances/duplicites.  I wouldn't, and I teach.  But maybe, just maybe Indians with no direct understanding of the cost of living, labor policies, etc. would.

FAU's actions are a twisted version of outsourcing: instead of exporting the job, they import cheaper foreign labor.  Sure, there are programs for critical needs areas and for those with specialized skill sets.  But this ain't it.  It's cheap in every sense of the word.

The capitalist system is only too correct.   Why do people form unions?  Because of disreputable practices like this and, of course, worse.  (Read The Jungle) Unfortunately, right-to-work policies grind out any attempt to organize.  Although, the apathetic workforce deserves its share of blame.

As for budget cuts, that no excuse.  Every four years the citizenry can vote in those who cut funding for higher education based on unsound and ideologically motivated economic policy or they can vote for those who value education enough to actually pay for it with—-oh no—tax revenue.  (The parties shall remain nameless).  This is what my Mom would call "Robbing Peter to pay Paul."  Pay the teachers.  Raise tuition.  Curtail enrollment.  Stop cutting taxes.   These poor friggin' "coolies" (I use the term with appropriate historic irony) are merely the tip of the iceberg.

Please………………………………. :'(

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Another FAU scandal?

El said

Teachers are already underpaid

who isn't??
Back to the top
Control functions: