Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fearless UNC Series predictions?

Add topic

Almost time to play ball.  Here is the pitching matchups along with a few notes about the game that I callaborated and my FEARLESS PREDICTION

Feb. 22 6:30 p.m.
Alex White (So., RHP) 2007: 6-7, 4.94
Mickey Storey (Sr., RHP) 2007: 3-0, 3.07

Feb. 23 4 p.m.
Adam Warren (Jr., RHP) 2007: 12-0, 2.17
Brandon Kloess (RHP, Sr) OR Adam Morrison (LHP, Jr.)

Feb. 24 Noon
Rob Catapano (So., LHP) 2007: 1-1, 4.50
Brandon Kloess (RHP, Sr.) OR Jeff Beliveau (LHP, Jr.)

INTERESTING TO NOTE: UNC will not feature their Freshman pitching stars in this series:  Matt Harvey and Nate Striz, who are listed among the ACC's top five newcomers by Baseball America. They are expected to be in the MLB draft this year.

Rob Catapano will make his first career start Sunday.

OWLS OF YESTER YEAR: FAU was 36-22 last year and 15-15 in the Sun Belt Conference. The Owls hit .341 as a team and posted a 4.89 staff ERA on the mound. Preseason All-America right fielder Mike McKenna (.413-16-60) and second baseman William Block (.344-18-59) return to lead the offense, while Mickey Storey (3-0, 3.07 ERA) returns as the top starter after missing much of last season due to injury. Mike Obradovich (9-5, 5.40 ERA) moves to the closer role after making 13 starts a year ago.

ABOUT THE TAR HEELS OF UNC

SENIOR HEELS: The Tar Heels opening day starting lineup will feature seven position starters back in the fold from 2007. All eight position starters have made at last 41 career starts and they have each been very productive players. The lowest career average among the eight players is .291.

FEDEX HAS BACKING: Starting catcher Tim Federowicz, nicknamed FedEx, is rated as the No. 3 backstop and No. 42 overall prospect for the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft by Baseball America. The Apex native was also ranked as the No. 8 prospect in the ACC for June's draft. He is a career .327 hitter with 127 career RBI.

ALL-AMERICAN THREATS: Five Tar Heels have earned preseason All-America honors from at least one media outlet heading into the 2008 campaign: OF/1B Dustin Ackley, C Tim Federowicz, RHP Adam Warren, RHP Alex White and RHP Rob Wooten. Ackley is a consensus preseason All-America pick, while Federowicz was honored by three outlets.

WOOTEN'S NO JOKE: Senior Rob Wooten, who led the NCAA and set an ACC record with 47 appearances a year ago, will move to the closer role this season. He will replace All-America Andrew Carignan, who saved a school-record 18 games in 2007. Wooten pitched in only 19 games over his first two seasons but dropped his arm slot with great success a year ago. He went 6-1 with a 2.35 ERA and 58 strikeouts in 53 2/3 innings a year ago.

(notes taken from www.tarheelblue.com)

After researching about this series, it appears it means far less to UNC than it does to FAU.  But, that doesn't mean UNC won't want to win to kick off their season which features 10 of 12 on the road to open the year.

Having said that, I think FAU has the fire power to match UNC while our pitching is suspect. But, I don't think Sun Belt baseball gets nearly enough credit.

Here are my predictions:

GAME 1: FAU 6, UNC 3
UNC deciding to forego their ace for game 1 and does anyone on the FAU squad have more to prove than Mikey Storey.  I like some small ball in this game.

GAME 2: UNC 5, FAU 2
We'll be lucky to not get laced this game.  Their ace's track record speaks for itself, and who knows what Kloess can bring.  Let's hope 5 innings and not over exposing our questionable bullpen.  I think a gutty performance from middle relievers keep UNC from blowing us out.  If you're looking to see one of the top pitchers in college baseball, this is it.

GAME 3: FAU 11, UNC 9
This one is up for grabs and could be the best offensive game of the series.  FAU should waste no time jumping on the jittery Tar Heel starter making his first career start.  In the end, our bats prevail.

FAU wins series 2-1. Call me crazy and I'll thank you.

Time for your fearless predictions!

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Re: Fearless UNC Series predictions?

So this is my first time at a FAU baseball game and Im pretty excited. How many people usually show up to these games? I would assume alot since it is against a pretty good team.... GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Fledge, this is awesome!  You are like the Baseball version of me on Basketball!

Ok, on to the prediction…

FAU 0 - UNC 3  :'(

Call me crazy as well, but i am a realist…

Hope i am WRONG!
Back to the top

GAME 1:
FAU 4, UNC 2

Mickey Storey 7.2 IP, 7 SO, 1 ER, 1 R

GAME 2:
UNC 11, FAU 5

GAME 3:
UNC 6, FAU 4

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Fearless UNC Series predictions?

Finally some baseball.  This whole starting everyone on the same date for baseball this year is garbage.  Anyways for my prediction, I say we may steal one out of the series.
Back to the top

fauowl09 said

GAME 1:
FAU 4, UNC 2

I like this score, but Mickey's not going to go 7 innings.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

fauowl09 said

GAME 1:
FAU 4, UNC 2

I like this score, but Mickey's not going to go 7 innings.

No chance of him going that long, I agree with Canadian.  Its way too early for all that.

Back to the top

MrMiggs200 said

So this is my first time at a FAU baseball game and Im pretty excited. How many people usually show up to these games? I would assume alot since it is against a pretty good team…. GO OWLS!

Welcome Mr. Miggs, typically FAU draws smaller baseball crowds, but unlike some sports the fans there are definitely into the games.  Friday night vs. UNC will be a huge turnout.  This weekend should draw great crowds, but overall Friday nights are the usual big draws.

Back to the top

we will take sunday.......i dont think we have a chance tomm, and tonight.....well yah....
Back to the top

FAU's 13 runs Saturday marked the most runs allowed by the Tar Heels in a victory since a 17-13 win at UCLA Feb. 18, 2000.

That's impressive.

Back to the top
Control functions: