Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

baseball and the band

Add topic

IS THERE ANYBODY ALIVE OUT THERE?????????

Hey…this is Kevin Cooney and that line is from Springsteen's Radio Nowhere. I'm using it so you'll all believe this is really me.

I just want to thank all of you for coming out in such numbers throughout the weekend. The atmosphere Friday night was like nothing our kids had ever experienced at a home game.

Sorry we couldn't hold those two leads, but I'm pretty encouraged by our guys overall performance. That team was a big challenge, and our hitters really made great adjustments by late in Friday's game, and it carried over the rest of the way. OB has had an injury to his leg all spring which affected his velocity, but he'll be better.

Here is my take on the band, cheerleaders, and dance team appearance…
THANK YOU!

Yes, it is not a baseball tradition to have a band there in the modern era, but old Brooklyn Dodger fans surely remember the band that would stroll through the stands at Ebbets Field and play between innings.

My neighbor George approached me at our Christmas block party and complained that FAU pretty much ignores Baseball when it comes to marketing and promotions. He argued that the band, cheerleaders, and dancers should be part of the opening night program, and vowed to approach Dexter Lamont, the band director, and anyone else who could be persuaded. I had enough bottles of Blue Moon beer in me that I didn't try to stop him!

My take is that anything which shows our players that their games actually matter to someone besides their friends, families, and a few die-hards is a good thing.

Not traditional? Corny? Logistically challenging?

Who cares?

It was fun, different, and an indication that someone outside the baseball community was interested in us.

I'm old school, but times change. I've let our guys wear those ugly Manny Ramirez style uniforms this year because tha's what the Big Leaguers wear.
We had dancers and cheerleaders there Friday, just like the Marlins and many other Big league teams do today.

If I can accept their presence, I think any of our fans can adjust their thinking. As we left the locker room Friday night, Coach Lopez asked me if we could get the band and cheerleaders and dancers for all the Friday night games. He said it was a great college environment. My son who played here and his fellow alums thought it was great to see the crowds and the tailgating and, yes the band and cheerleaders, and the dancers.

Please keep coming to games. To hear the ovation y'all gave Mickey as we walked off the mound hgave chills to both of us.

Thank you all.

KC(AKA- Slider)
Back to the top

Re: baseball and the band

slider said

IS THERE ANYBODY ALIVE OUT THERE?????????

Hey…this is Kevin Cooney and that line is from Springsteen's Radio Nowhere. I'm using it so you'll all believe this is really me.

I just want to thank all of you for coming out in such numbers throughout the weekend. The atmosphere Friday night was like nothing our kids had ever experienced at a home game.

Sorry we couldn't hold those two leads, but I'm pretty encouraged by our guys overall performance. That team was a big challenge, and our hitters really made great adjustments by late in Friday's game, and it carried over the rest of the way. OB has had an injury to his leg all spring which affected his velocity, but he'll be better.

Here is my take on the band, cheerleaders, and dance team appearance…
THANK YOU!

Yes, it is not a baseball tradition to have a band there in the modern era, but old Brooklyn Dodger fans surely remember the band that would stroll through the stands at Ebbets Field and play between innings.

My neighbor George approached me at our Christmas block party and complained that FAU pretty much ignores Baseball when it comes to marketing and promotions. He argued that the band, cheerleaders, and dancers should be part of the opening night program, and vowed to approach Dexter Lamont, the band director, and anyone else who could be persuaded. I had enough bottles of Blue Moon beer in me that I didn't try to stop him!

My take is that anything which shows our players that their games actually matter to someone besides their friends, families, and a few die-hards is a good thing.

Not traditional? Corny? Logistically challenging?

Who cares?

It was fun, different, and an indication that someone outside the baseball community was interested in us.

I'm old school, but times change. I've let our guys wear those ugly Manny Ramirez style uniforms this year because tha's what the Big Leaguers wear.
We had dancers and cheerleaders there Friday, just like the Marlins and many other Big league teams do today.

If I can accept their presence, I think any of our fans can adjust their thinking. As we left the locker room Friday night, Coach Lopez asked me if we could get the band and cheerleaders and dancers for all the Friday night games. He said it was a great college environment. My son who played here and his fellow alums thought it was great to see the crowds and the tailgating and, yes the band and cheerleaders, and the dancers.

Please keep coming to games. To hear the ovation y'all gave Mickey as we walked off the mound hgave chills to both of us.

Thank you all.

KC(AKA- Slider)

Do you really think we believe that you are KC?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

"Slider"…question for you:

What was the last name of the Game Operations Director for the year 1992?
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Jab979 said

"Slider"…question for you:

Can't he just look that up?

I don't think Cooney would come on here and choose the name "Slider" and I don't think he would ever apologize to fans for blowing a lead. Can you see Joe Girardi coming out and saying "Sorry Yankee fans that we blew leads in 2 of those games but HEY I'm encouraged by the way they played" lol. I don't think I have ever heard a coach apologize like that

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

He didn't hide his email in his profile, it is Cooney's FAU email account so I do believe it is him.  It doesn't change my opinion though but I do respect his.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Hey…I just wanted to thank you guys and get some heat off Markey. As to is it really me? Ask Markey if he got an email from me asking to take pictures this year and praising his daughter's political activism and school spirit.

Yeah…it's weird, a coach replying, but I'm a little different.

Later today or tomorrow check the Diamond Diary for the as yet unwritten entry titled "Long Walk Home" about FAU Baseball"s effort to return to post season ("home") and my take on this weekend.

And if you've never heard the song w/ that title on Bruce's new album you need to. It's an allegory about someone returning to his hometown (or country)  and not recognizing the changes to all the things once familiar. (habeus corpus, waterboarding, unwarranted wiretaps) But it ends w/ the optimism of a father reminding his son "what that flag over the courthouse" stands for.
Its a great song.

KC
Back to the top

slider said

As to is it really me?

You didnt answer my question…

If you can answer it, that validates who you are…

Back to the top

Oh man…
I actually answered it but the post got lost somewhere in Al Gore's internet, so I had to redo it and forgot to answer you.
My guess is Rick Henderson, but I can hardly remember my players' names during games. If you know me, you know that's true.
KC
Back to the top

baseball and the band

slider said

Oh man…
I actually answered it but the post got lost somewhere in Al Gore's internet, so I had to redo it and forgot to answer you.
My guess is Rick Henderson, but I can hardly remember my players' names during games. If you know me, you know that's true.
KC

that's 1996…one more try…and ill give you a big hint…

First name was Steve…black curly hair…what's the last name?
Back to the top

FEINLAND!!!!!!
Saw him and his family in New Orleans last year.
Thanks for the hint.
He also umpired some of our games when we had a JV team. The girl that worked with him was named Brooke…she married Rich Freebourne former player and coach. She passed away about 10 years ago.
Anything else you need to know?
KC
Back to the top
Control functions: