Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kimberly Miller, Hooters, and a Stadium?

Add topic

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/south/epaper/2008/02/27/0227hootowls.html

;D

All for this, We need a Hooters BACK in Boca and this is a natural fit.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: Kimberly Miller, Hooters, and a Stadium?

Congratulations, you actually wrote a nuetral article...
Back to the top

Kimberly Miller, Hooters, and a Stadium?

Despite student enthusiasm though, Hooters itself may not be up for the idea of buying stadium naming rights.

A South Florida spokesman said the price tag was a little pricey for the restaurant chain.

"It would be a neat thought though to have the naming rights," said Hooters representative Jim Upchurch.

How can you see this article as neutral? This is horrible!! Shot down before it's even proposed. How could she ever write an article with this negative slant. It's all just more spin.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

It's all just more spin.

*** cricket sounds***

;)
Back to the top

I don't read it as negative. One thing that we have to remember is just because 350 or even 3500 students petition Hooters to support FAU by purchasing naming rights to the stadium that doesn't mean that Hooters is going to throw down millions of dollars. However, I can imagine having nice coeds in Hooters uniforms working all of the concession stands while dishing out wings with a smile.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I don't read it as negative. One thing that we have to remember is just because 350 or even 3500 students petition Hooters to support FAU by purchasing naming rights to the stadium that doesn't mean that Hooters is going to throw down millions of dollars. However, I can imagine having nice coeds in Hooters uniforms working all of the concession stands while dishing out wings with a smile.

Yeah, I usually hate Kimberly Miller's stories and I have no issue with it other than the fact that this is now the SECOND story in two days that has arisen out of a Facebook group…. and I'm not sure alerting people to "just for fun" Facebook groups qualifies as professional journalism.

On the other hand, she did contact Hooters and that's something we as students probably wouldn't have accomplished. Maybe if FAU lowered their price tag from $20 million to $10 million…

And even though I'm a supporter of the Hooters Stadium movement, in reality I don't think Boca wants that publicity… "Oh, the city with the stadium named after boobs." You know?
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I don't read it as negative.

Neither did CanadianOwl…

he's being sarcastic and stirring the pot with me…
Back to the top

Bottom line is it's two positive stories about FAU on the front page of the PB Post this week. People can complain about the Post taking shots at FAU, but that's mostly been its editorial board. And as the beloved Uncle Teddy has stated, the Sun-Sentinel's editorial board is also against the stadium. At least Miller is writing about FAU and keeping us on the front page. That's more than can be said about the other papers.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

At least Miller is writing about FAU and keeping us on the front page. That's more than can be said about the other papers.

Good point…i can see it that way as well…….
Back to the top

What I continue to wonder is why any newspaper would be against one legitimate football stadium for county of 1.5 (or more) million people?

What does it take to get one decent sports venue?

Maybe they should editorialize for West Palm to take back the Auditorium (Leaky Tepee) now that the Jehovah's Witnesses have made it into a showplace.
Back to the top
Control functions: