Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Out of curiosity

Out of curiosity

Some have suggested that once Coach Schnellenberger leaves, Gary Nord could become head coach at FAU. I'm looking at Gary Nord's bio here and seeing

Coaching Experience
20+ years of coaching experience

2005 Florida Atlantic (Offensive Coordinator)
2004 Florida Atlantic (Quarterbacks)
2000-2003 Head Coach UTEP

So he knows what it takes to be a Head Coach. Does anyone know why he stepped down from a Head Coach job at UTEP to become QB Coach at FAU? I wonder if that means he didn't care for the Head Coach position responsibilities and would turn it down if the opportunity arose at FAU…
Back to the top

Re: Out of curiosity

owlcountry said

Does anyone know why he stepped down from a Head Coach job at UTEP to become QB Coach at FAU? I wonder if that means he didn't care for the Head Coach position responsibilities and would turn it down if the opportunity arose at FAU…

he was a in a very difficult situation at UTEP…without getting into great detail, it is a very hard place to recruit and he did not have enough time to do his own thing - which is Howard's thing of waiting until you have all four year players and having them mature…he did well his first year then had three bad seasons - and was released…

DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER:

College Football's hot seat list grows (Wizbang Sports)

I like Nord alot, and still think he is a great choice!

Back to the top

I had a friend from highschool that was a 4 year starter under Nord at UTEP.  I asked him this exact question, and he said that Nord is too much of a players friend not a coach.  They won the WAC his freshman season and then were brutal the next few seasons.  He doesn't know how to discipline his players.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Gotcha. Thanks for responding guys. Doesn't look like he'd be an ideal choice then.

I wonder if we could snag an Assistant Coach from Florida/FSU/Auburn/etc to replace Schnellenberger. It would have to be someone who played on a proven team at the next level, who had high goals for FAU and not just maintaining the status quo, who would accept our paycheck (which is not the same paycheck they would get at, say, Auburn) and have good connections in the Florida/south-east for recruting purposes.
Back to the top

Interseting perspective Walty…not to "argue", but rather look into their statement i have a couple of observations to offer:

How did the team do the following two years after Nord?

Next year 2004 (when all of Nords guys were Juniors) they went to 8-4…

The year after in 2005 (when all of Nords guys were seniors)  they went 8-4 again…

So, the new coach won with Nord's players…i think that is a fair statement…

How did the new coach do with his players?

In 2006, the first year with the new coaches team, 5-7…

Last year, they went 4-8…

A fair question from the above would be:

Was it discipline, or maturity that kept them from winning under Nord??

Back to the top

i shall be the next head coach at FAU and the world will bow before us!

-juggernaut
Back to the top

Juggernaut said

i shall be the next head coach at FAU and the world will bow before us!

Whoah?!

Did anyone just see that flying pig sail by??
Back to the top

If this is at all an accurate representation of what his former players think about him, then he gets mixed reviews at best, and scores generally lower than other football coaches:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.coachratings.com/rating_result.jsp?cID=11

Not really sure what to make of this.
Back to the top

The said

Nothing??

HS isn't even on there.
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

The said

Nothing??

HS isn't even on there.

I noticed that, along with a lot of other coaches.  My guess is that whoever is running the site is just sampling coaches each year.  Whatever the case, it doesn't look like they're making up the data, although it's pretty obvious that haven't been around long, and it looks like they are on an indefinite hiatus.
Back to the top
Control functions: