Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sunday hitting clinic

Add topic

Re: Sunday hitting clinic

Jab979 said

Florida_Owl said

roscoeowl said

I left in the bottom of the seventh and it was 20 to 1.  Fau had two consecutive 9 run inning in the 4th and 5th with 2 grand slams in the 5th.

is there no mercy rule in College baseball??

(i think softball has one, no?)

Almost positive softball has one but no such rule in baseball. I think it was last season we beat Mississippi Valley State 33-3 (It was only 7 innings because it was a double header)

Hey Jab, Not trying to be a smartass or anything but there is a mercy rule in college baseball.  It must be agreed upon before the game by the head coaches, Also, and i may be mistaken about this part but but i think it is also regulated by individual conferences as wether to inforce the rule or not.  I know from when i used to plqy that the rule is usually only used on sundays when the visiting team had to travel the same day,  Also, the rule is not inforced in playoff games. 
Back to the top

Sunday hitting clinic

Here is the rule:

A mercy rule may be in use, which terminates play when one team is ahead by 10 or more runs after seven innings (6½ innings if the home team is winning). In games that are scheduled for seven innings the rule takes effect in the fifth. This rule is not used in NCAA tournament games. Several conferences institute this rule only on Sundays or the final day of a conference series, so that the visiting team can travel on time.

Interesting note: The first ever baseball game in 1859 between Amherst College and Williams College. Amherst won, 73-32

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Jab979 said

Florida_Owl said

roscoeowl said

I left in the bottom of the seventh and it was 20 to 1.  Fau had two consecutive 9 run inning in the 4th and 5th with 2 grand slams in the 5th.

is there no mercy rule in College baseball??

(i think softball has one, no?)

Almost positive softball has one but no such rule in baseball. I think it was last season we beat Mississippi Valley State 33-3 (It was only 7 innings because it was a double header)

Hey Jab, Not trying to be a smartass or anything but there is a mercy rule in college baseball.  It must be agreed upon before the game by the head coaches, Also, and i may be mistaken about this part but but i think it is also regulated by individual conferences as wether to inforce the rule or not.  I know from when i used to plqy that the rule is usually only used on sundays when the visiting team had to travel the same day,  Also, the rule is not inforced in playoff games.

You're not being a smart ass at all. Thanks for clearing it up I was under the impression there was no such thing. Thanks for the info though. Why would they agree to it before the game, no coach is going to say yeah well my team sucks and you're really good so if it gets out of hand we can call it lol.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Yeah you're prettty much right, coaches never say yeah lets use the ten run rule tonight. However i was once in a game at georgia southern where we were leading something like 17-1 and the opposing coach got so fed up with his team he came and talked to our coach and the umps and they ended up calling the game in the 8th inning.  We then preceded to watch the opposing team run poles for an hour and a half on our home field.  Man that was funny. 
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Yeah you're prettty much right, coaches never say yeah lets use the ten run rule tonight. However i was once in a game at georgia southern where we were leading something like 17-1 and the opposing coach got so fed up with his team he came and talked to our coach and the umps and they ended up calling the game in the 8th inning.  We then preceded to watch the opposing team run poles for an hour and a half on our home field.  Man that was funny.

LOL. That's embarassing…but funny.

Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Did you play baseball for FAU?

Back to the top

Jab979 said

roscoeowl said

Did you play baseball for FAU?

No i played at a small college in Charlotte NC called Wingate and at Georgia Southern.  I graduated then came to FAU for a 2nd now 3rd bachelors degree.  Still addicted to the game.  Wish i played down here though, Ive heard nothing but great things about coach Cooney. 
Back to the top

Cooney is definitely one of the best. He exploded on the ump after EMU pitcher was trying to hit whoever was at bat. First ball goes way over his head, 2nd ball hit him but the umpire says no. Cooney flipped and for good reason glad to see he sticks up for his players, rather then the player arguing with the ump. I thought for sure he would toss him, coach's face was bright red he was pissed and you can't blame him it was a little ridiculous finally on the 3rd pitch, he hit him but of course no warning was given

Back to the top

Hopefully we get to hear him and his crazy ways.

I remember a few years ago the umpire called one of our guys out at home and it wasn't even close.  Cooney stormed out there and said to the umpire "Ray Charles even saw that!"

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Cooney is definitely one of the best. He exploded on the ump after EMU pitcher was trying to hit whoever was at bat. First ball goes way over his head, 2nd ball hit him but the umpire says no. Cooney flipped and for good reason glad to see he sticks up for his players, rather then the player arguing with the ump. I thought for sure he would toss him, coach's face was bright red he was pissed and you can't blame him it was a little ridiculous finally on the 3rd pitch, he hit him but of course no warning was given

yeah i couldnt believe Cooney didnt get tossed after his friendly :D convo with the ump.  I was actually standing over on the berm talking with that pitchers father the entire game.  After he threw those three pitches his father was like "man ive never seen him throw this bad his entire life , This things bout to get ugly."  The EMU people were really nice though.  The father was telling me about the former EMU coach that was forced to retire this year.  Apparently he was having some extra marital affairs with one of the players mother, and word got out.   :o
Back to the top
Control functions: