Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Angelos weighs in on Color War

Add topic

From the "Ask the AD" page …

February 28, 2008

Question from Tim
Craig:
Why does the athletic program keep promoting red with the red shirt give away? Didn't the university spend a lot money for a branding initiative? It seems to dilute the brand that the University paid so much to have done. Thank you for your hard work and time in answering this question.

Response from Athletics Director Craig Angelos
Tim:
Thanks for the email. As you may remember I was the one who brought forth the thought of branding the athletic department and chaired the committee for the university to do so. We ended up keeping our same colors, navy blue and red. Navy blue is our primary color and red is our trim color. As with any university (e.g.: Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, Miami Hurricanes), their secondary color is often used in promoting their program. Although all of our uniforms have blue jerseys, I don't believe there is anything wrong with using our secondary color of red when doing certain promotions that seem to come with some type of theme like "burry the burrow in red". It is all part of marketing the program without compromising our standards. We are hoping that it works but I appreciate your position because I have heard that before. Nevertheless, we appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Craig

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Re: Angelos weighs in on Color War

CanadianOwl said

From the "Ask the AD" page …

February 28, 2008

Question from Tim
Craig:
Why does the athletic program keep promoting red with the red shirt give away? Didn't the university spend a lot money for a branding initiative? It seems to dilute the brand that the University paid so much to have done. Thank you for your hard work and time in answering this question.

Response from Athletics Director Craig Angelos
Tim:
Thanks for the email. As you may remember I was the one who brought forth the thought of branding the athletic department and chaired the committee for the university to do so. We ended up keeping our same colors, navy blue and red. Navy blue is our primary color and red is our trim color. As with any university (e.g.: Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, Miami Hurricanes), their secondary color is often used in promoting their program. Although all of our uniforms have blue jerseys, I don't believe there is anything wrong with using our secondary color of red when doing certain promotions that seem to come with some type of theme like "burry the burrow in red". It is all part of marketing the program without compromising our standards. We are hoping that it works but I appreciate your position because I have heard that before. Nevertheless, we appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Craig

It's "Bury", not "Burry." I know a couple of you want to talk about "Burry the Burrow in Red" but there is no such event.
Back to the top

Wow, I guess no one around here really cares what a school official has to say on this topic.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Angelos weighs in on Color War

CanadianOwl said

Wow, I guess no one around here really cares what a school official has to say on this topic.

cant speak for others, but actually, i do care!

just that i HATE administrative behavior that is not aligned with goal congruance…the University spent a ton of money and time on branding, etc…if they want to be that wishey washey, and let thier assocites "do as they please" then let them…

I gurantee you would never see a red publix logo…or a pink Office Depot shirt…

Public sector is a night and day contrast from this cluster of leadership…

given this perogative, and after having talked this into the ground, for me personally it is just better to let people do what they want and be quiet about it! lol
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

I don't care about the topic and I am so sick of seeing the the "right color" crap come up in just about every damn thread posted here.  I am sure there are others that agree.  Just show up!
Back to the top

Since I too, am SO sick of hearing about which is the right color to wear to a game, I came up with this slogan: "real fans wear red, silver and blue" That'll make everyone happy, since blue and red is the dominating color, you can't forget that silver is a trim color. So, now let's all bury this issue once and for all!
Back to the top

Silver?

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Silver?

Yeah…silver…green…purple…who cares!  The more the merrier!

Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Fledgling said

Silver?

I think he meant silver, as in silver is one of our colors? I thought it was Red, White & Blue? Blue being the main color, Red & Blue being the trim

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Florida_Owl said

Fledgling said

Silver?

I think he meant silver, as in silver is one of our colors? I thought it was Red, White & Blue? Blue being the main color, Red & Blue being the trim

Pssst…i was being sarcastic………………

Silver is a trim color…

I love Angelos' quote:

"It is all part of marketing the program without compromising our standards."

Ummm, EXCUSE ME??

Here they are:

"Primary Identity Colors
Color is one of the most important elements of the FAU visual identity.
FAU Blue is the dominant color in all University communications. FAU
Red is to be used as a complement to FAU Blue and should never be the
dominant color
. FAU Silver (and its nonmetallic alternative FAU Gray)
may be used with FAU Blue and FAU Red as an accent only. Black (or
white, when reversed out) may be used as a substitute on FAU logos if
none of the official colors is available."

***cricket sounds***

http://www.fau.edu/branding/FAU_VSQkGuide.pdf

Back to the top
Control functions: