Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Good news: UCF vs. FAU?

Good news: UCF vs. FAU?

I talked to someone fairly credible tonight at my brief stint at the baseball game (rain).  I asked them about future football schedules.  He said UCF HATES having to schedule a BC or Rutgers at the last minute like we had to this year, due to a MAC team backing out of a deal in fear of being waxed.

He did say that at least while O'Leary is here, he wants 2 in state games a year.  He feels like there are enough teams in state and they should promote in state football.  USF is backing out next year.  FSU and UF won't give us return games (and O'Leary said he's done with 2-1's)  Miami is on the schedule, but that leaves one more……and I was told FAU is a definite possibility.  Although- I did hear FIU has been talking with UCF more lately, so who knows.

Just for a reference about the MAC team:  According to our beat writer, EMU was basically a "done deal" to play UCF in a 1-1 deal since UCF wanted 7 home games next year.  However, after the CUSA Championship game in which UCF tore up Tulsa, apparently EMU called back saying "no thanks" to the deal offer.  It then left UCF in a huge bind needing a game.  We had to pickup BC @BC which isn't bad, but we wanted the 7th home game.
Back to the top

Re: Good news: UCF vs. FAU?

I for one would love to see that become a reality
Back to the top

… in fear of being waxed.

I guarantee you, no SunBelt team will walk away from any offer from UCF (assuming it's a home-and-home). If UCF wants some good competition and doesn't mind a chance for a loss, ring up FAU, Troy, MTSU, etc.

I won't hang while I'm waiting for that to happen, but it would be great to see.
Back to the top

ucf won't play us. its a lose/lose situation for them. they won't get any money and they have a good chance of losing. there's zero reason for them to play us.  if they lose to UF by fourty it would be better for them to take the chance of playing us.

insiders of college bball have tought me the ins and outs of it and it makes a lot of sense. were both up and coming programs, after we kill uab, its going to set them back big time.
Back to the top

i can see them setting something up with FIU like a 2-1 favoring them, but not with us.  We would have too much of a shot to beat them, and i dont see us agreeing to a 2-1 with them.

Keep in mind, we have played them b4 within the 1st few seasons and we played them well even then….almost won….@ their old stadium.

Cant see it happening unless they want to start a rivarly in state between the tow of us, and hope we make it into their conference or a larger conference in the future to get more money from the situation.

Just my 2 cents
Back to the top

Well, I can only report what I heard.  I was given no indication that a deal wouldn't happen for "fear" of losing.  The only reason I mentioned FIU first was that they apparently have been the one's pursuing a game the most. 
Back to the top

I think UCF is at the point where they can start expecting 1-and-1 series with other schools, but expecting that with FSU and UF is kind of ridiculous.  For starters, unless you have most of your stadium sold with season tickets, their fans would overrun you in your own stadium.  How many season tix have you sold?  They would be better off just paying you to come to Gainesville or Tally.  Even if they gave you a 2-and-1, I fear that one game would be neutral at best.

They might go for a 1-and-1 if you agreed to move the game back to the Citrus Bowl because it's a bigger stadium, they have lots of fans and alumni around Orlando, and they could get more of them in there.  But you're probably still a few more years of continued success away from being able to demand a return game on your terms.

Back to the top

The said

I think UCF is at the point where they can start expecting 1-and-1 series with other schools, but expecting that with FSU and UF is kind of ridiculous.  For starters, unless you have most of your stadium sold with season tickets, their fans would overrun you in your own stadium.  How many season tix have you sold?  They would be better off just paying you to come to Gainesville or Tally.  Even if they gave you a 2-and-1, I fear that one game would be neutral at best.

They might go for a 1-and-1 if you agreed to move the game back to the Citrus Bowl because it's a bigger stadium, they have lots of fans and alumni around Orlando, and they could get more of them in there.  But you're probably still a few more years of continued success away from being able to demand a return game on your terms.

Actually, I don't think UCF would be nearly close to outnumbered.  UF would surely have a huge section at the game, but nowhere near UCF fans.  Last year UCF sold 24,000 season tickets and had 12,000 solid every game in the student section totaling 36K right there.  Our stadium only seats 45,000 fans and I really doubt UF fans would account for every bit of the remaining 9,000.  Texas had about 8K at the game and they have one of the biggest Orlando alumni chapters of any school in the nation.

I also don't think O'Leary's plan is to demand UF schedule 1-1's.  He just does NOT want "pay games".  If UF even offered a 2-1 deal we might take it, but UF will NEVER do that.  Plus it'd be better to bring another quality team into Brighthouse where UCF can collect revenue and provide another home game.

I also doubt UCF would EVER schedule a game in the Citrus Dump.
Back to the top

UCFKnight85 said

The said

Actually, I don't think UCF would be nearly close to outnumbered.  UF would surely have a huge section at the game, but nowhere near UCF fans.  Last year UCF sold 24,000 season tickets and had 12,000 solid every game in the student section totaling 36K right there.  Our stadium only seats 45,000 fans and I really doubt UF fans would account for every bit of the remaining 9,000.   Texas had about 8K at the game and they have one of the biggest Orlando alumni chapters of any school in the nation.

UF come to UCF? One reason it wouldn't happen is because, as one Gator fan put it, "They would have to find a way to fill a several million dollar hole in its budget every other year when UF loses a home game (by playing away)."

But if they did, UF would certainly sell out any piece of the stadium you give to them. You could give them 40,000 seats at BHNS and they'd fill it. They're only an hour and a half away (I made the trip yesterday) and those fans would certainly travel.

Back to the top

Exit39 said

ucf won't play us. its a lose/lose situation for them. they won't get any money and they have a good chance of losing. there's zero reason for them to play us. 

Well, I was reading somewhere that their conference games at UCF only draw about 1,000 fans from some of those CUSA schools… and we could certainly match that. So in terms of them making any money, it would be like playing a CUSA school.

Our schools are only three hours away from each other and a LOT of people either have friends at the other's school or have attended both schools. I know we don't travel much to FIU but (with all due respect to FIU) at this point UCF has a better team than FIU and that would draw people to the game.

If there's any other school in Florida that could potentially turn into a rivalry, it would be UCF. There's not going to be any FAU/UM or FAU/UF heat going on there. The UF fans were mostly apathetic about playing us and then, during the second quarter, they just became curious about our team (I was asked a million questions during that quarter) rather than angry. So yeah.
Back to the top
Control functions: