Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Troy-FAU game moving to weekday?

I heard rumors that the Troy-FAU game (now scheduled for Oct. 11) is going to be moved to a weekday. Please tell me that's not true!

That is FAU's chance to blow a great crowd of visitors (Troy will travel for this one), keep the Troy band from coming and probably hurt home attendance (traffic, late workers, visitors unable to get to Boca on a Thursday), no tailgating, as well.

Troy can't even fill the stadium for a bigtime opponent on a weekday. I don't expect any better for FAU for what could be its best home game of the year.

If it happens, I certainly hope it's not for some lame "network" like ESPNU, CSS or CSTV, which between them have 67 viewers.

See: http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=82149&posted=1#post82149
Back to the top

Re: Troy-FAU game moving to weekday?

BMarkey said

I heard rumors that the Troy-FAU game (now scheduled for Oct. 11) is going to be moved to a weekday. Please tell me that's not true!

That is FAU's chance to blow a great crowd of visitors (Troy will travel for this one), keep the Troy band from coming and probably hurt home attendance (traffic, late workers, visitors unable to get to Boca on a Thursday), no tailgating, as well.

Troy can't even fill the stadium for a bigtime opponent on a weekday. I don't expect any better for FAU for what could be its best home game of the year.

If it happens, I certainly hope it's not for some lame "network" like ESPNU, CSS or CSTV, which between them have 67 viewers.

See: http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=82149&posted=1#post82149

Well, if its actually ESPN or ESPN2 it would be worth it. I agree about the other networks though. National exposure is critical for both FAU and Troy. If they can get us the game on a Thursday AND on the "big" Network it would be ok in my book, although I HATE weekday games with a passion.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Troy-FAU game moving to weekday?

If you can get on either ESPN or ESPN2, you have to take that opportunity. You cannot buy that kind of publicity. You're talking about stations that are probably in about 200 million homes.  As a university and a fanbase, we need to get past the excuse that a game is not at a convenient time and just get out to the games, no matter when or where.
Back to the top

if it moves to a weekday, it is certainly for TV...no doubt!
Back to the top

These networks really have a very small share of the audience, very small - especially on a big TV (ER, etc.) night. Many fans miss the game.

In return, the college football gameday experience is ruined. There is no real tailgating or pre-game fun. In many communities, businesses lose revenue from visitors who would buy motel rooms, dinners, booze sand the like. Out-of-town fans drop in for the night or do not come at all because of the one-night nature of the event. The weekend visit to your college is ruined and students do not stay around either.

Attendance suffers because only people an hour away or less come and some of those people do not come because of career demands and in this area, traffic.

All of this is allegedly for "exposure". But I contend that many college football fans do not watch because they are doing something else or just forget about there being a game on TV. Sure, the barflies and airport travelers see it (but don't hear it).

Fridays are the worst because the people to whom th exposure means the most - recruits and high school students - are busy with their own games. They not only do not come to th game but also do not see it. And parents who have kids in high school do not come either.

The visiting team's fans - in this case, a very motivated Troy fan base that is likely to circle this game on the travel calendar, for destination/weather as well as game reasons - decide not to travel 500-plus miles for a one-night affair. The famous marching band stays away (although maybe a long shot at being on TV sways the decision).

All of this for a couple (maybe) of percentage points in the ratings? 'Not worth it.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

These networks really have a very small share of the audience, very small - especially on a big TV (ER, etc.) night. Many fans miss the game.

agree…but they do it for the advertising revenue (which only benefits the networks)

although it's masked in "hey we want to help you out and air your game!"
Back to the top

If it makes ESPN or ESPN2 on Thursday night that would be good for the program even though attendance will be hurt by the move. Hopefully if it is nationally televised enough people will still attend to celebrate FAU's first ever nationally televised regular season game at home.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I have also heard about advertising revenue, but have never seen reports of how much a school makes from an ESPN game. By the quality and business size of the commercials aired, it can't be much. And considering the relatively small percentage of viewers tuning in (maybe 1 percent), the schools can't get much - probably not even enough to offset to loss of ticket revenue.

One final issue: attendance.

Many people comment on the "exposure" a school gets from a Thursday night game. ESPN/2 is not the only Thursday night football game any more, and how good is exposure of ghostly empty stands. How does that look to recruits?
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

If it makes ESPN or ESPN2 on Thursday night that would be good for the program even though attendance will be hurt by the move. Hopefully if it is nationally televised enough people will still attend to celebrate FAU's first ever nationally televised regular season game at home.

GO OWLS!!!

Wasn't the Oklahoma State game a few years back on ESPN2?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Wasn't the Oklahoma State game a few years back on ESPN2?

yes…and that actually had a decent turnout…like 12k…only problem was it was at Joe Robby…

Lockhart is aweful because the vistors sideline is the main projection all game long…the home side cant be seen…

Back to the top
Control functions: