Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Some odds and ends

Add topic

Here's some stuff I heard around campus yesterday… hopefully I'm getting all the details right:

- In its recent Legislative session, FAU lobbied to get money to build its own medical facility/hospital since the BRCH situation is a little cloudy right now. It's not intended to be a replacement of the Schmidt Medical Center, just a small medical facility that would likely be built first, see patients, and eventually serve as an eventual adjunct to the Schmidt Medical Center.

- There was some extra money in the CITF pool that will be funding a "Phase II" (or Phase 1.5) for the Campus Recreation Center (which is currently under construction on-campus). The prominent aspect of this would be leisure pool project. It would function as a separate construction project, not be part of the current Rec Center project. They don't want it to just be a boring rectangular pool with chairs around it; they're looking at models from the
University of Texas
(http://www.utrecsports.org/aquatic/aquatic-Pages/Image57.html)
Mizzou
(http://www.mizzourec.org/facilities/beach_club/gallery.asp?Type=facility_gallery&ID=12)
and a couple of others. I asked if they considered UCF and they said they looked at it but it's not very efficient from a lifeguard standpoint so they want to build a better one.

- Also, Campus Rec is looking into building a facility that would include volleyball courts, raquet ball courts, basketball courts and… a skating rink. It may even just be a skating rink with the other stuff added later. Not sure when it would go up but it's an idea out there right now.

- I was told Greek housing is "three years away", "right after the stadium" and that the recent Greek Life Assessment has been very influential on the administration. I know you guys were all told they would build housing within your tenure here and this may be more of that but at least you know the latest word on it from someone who is currently on the Greek Housing Committee.

- The Student Union is getting a gaming theater, where people can play games, probably LAN, maybe rent some board games, etc. I'm pitching a two lane version of the Highway 66 mini-bowling game
(http://www.bmigaming.com/highway66-brochure.htm) as an alternative to a full-on bowling alley (like UF has).

- Student Government wants to make up shirts for students for the football games next year but it will likely be a single shirt that you wear to all home games, not game-specific shirts. And yes, they will be FAU Blue.

- The FAU Foundation is offering the Honors College kids (and the rest of us, maybe?) a trip to Egypt for Spring Break 2009. Nearly three grand though. You can read about it here: http://fauf.fau.edu/NetCommunity/Document.Doc?&id=849

Anyway, thought you guys might be interested in that.
Back to the top

Re: Some odds and ends

owlcountry said

Here's some stuff I heard around campus yesterday… hopefully I'm getting all the details right:

- In its recent Legislative session, FAU lobbied to get money to build its own medical facility/hospital since the BRCH situation is a little cloudy right now. It's not intended to be a replacement of the Schmidt Medical Center, just a small medical facility that would likely be built first, see patients, and eventually serve as an eventual adjunct to the Schmidt Medical Center.

What "body" conducted this lobby?

Also, campus rec may want another building, but it has no budget…can only be "talk", and nothing more…

If Brogan, or University Development makes a statement, then ears definitely need to perk up…

What is in the new Campus Rec building they already have going up? I though some of the above was already in the plans…
Back to the top

Damn,

I want to go back to school now.  Think a 4 hour commute is reasonable?  If any of this actually becomes reality, I wonder if alumni would have access to any of this?

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

owlcountry said

- Student Government wants to make up shirts for students for the football games next year but it will likely be a single shirt that you wear to all home games, not game-specific shirts. And yes, they will be FAU Blue.

Perfect!

I dont think FAU students need more then 1 shirt (Although it would be nice). Make it FAU Blue, on the front have the logo and "To belive is to be strong" and on the back the 2008 Schedule.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

What "body" conducted this lobby?
Don't know. I think it traditionally consists of BOT members, SGA members and FAU lobbyists.

Florida_Owl said

Also, campus rec may want another building, but it has no budget…can only be "talk", and nothing more…
Agreed. If it is to be drawn from CITF money, I was told that it may take another 3-4 years before that would be approved. However, I don't know all the sources of money that FAU has available to them…

Florida_Owl said

What is in the new Campus Rec building they already have going up? I though some of the above was already in the plans…
It's a recreation center with weight-lifting, indoor basketball courts, areas for yoga/spinning classes, etc. Plus, consider the basketball recreation available in the Burrow for Campus Rec. That's why I'm not convinced we need more basketball courts – I would much rather have a skating rink than more volleyball/basketball – but when it comes down to making decisions that spend dollars and cents, they look to see potential for mass interest. They're not going to create a special room for pogo or unicycling, for instance.
Back to the top

I'll believe it when I see it.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Yeah no offense to you owl country but I agree. When I see it, I'll start to believe it

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Fledgling said

Yeah no offense to you owl country but I agree. When I see it, I'll start to believe it

Then it's time to believe it (at least what has been published regarding the current project's slating)…

If you drive by Fleming Hall, the walls are already up on the new Recreation Facility…

I was just inquiring about what was actually going to be in this phase…the above sounds like a possible "future wish list" (not included in current plans)…
Back to the top

Some odds and ends

owlcountry said

It's a recreation center with weight-lifting, indoor basketball courts, areas for yoga/spinning classes, etc. Plus, consider the basketball recreation available in the Burrow for Campus Rec. That's why I'm not convinced we need more basketball courts – I would much rather have a skating rink than more volleyball/basketball – but when it comes down to making decisions that spend dollars and cents, they look to see potential for mass interest. They're not going to create a special room for pogo or unicycling, for instance.

lol @ unicycling…

I heard that they will not be having open rec in the Arena any more after the new courts go in??
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

lol @ unicycling…

I heard that they will not be having open rec in the Arena any more after the new courts go in??

It's possible that the Burrow would become for Athletes only (like the gym over there) and they would divert everyone to the new center.
Back to the top
Control functions: