Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU's football stadium starting to look pretty impressive

Back to the top

Re: FIU's football stadium starting to look pretty impressive

BMarkey said

Indeed. They're also going to be building some student housing around the stadium in a "new urbanism" style that will include retail… sound familiar? Guess you got to do what you got to do to compete for students.

A winning team in a new stadium would surely help. I'm still a little confused where the funding for FIU's stadium came from, since I never heard anything about donors…. and why couldn't we go with that same route to fund our stadium?
Back to the top

FIU's football stadium starting to look pretty impressive

owlcountry said

I'm still a little confused where the funding for FIU's stadium came from, since I never heard anything about donors…. and why couldn't we go with that same route to fund our stadium?

i big chunk came from reserves…

our BOT is not going to do that…and i dont blame them…
Back to the top

Honestly i think it looks pretty ugly! dont know if its just me but figured i would say it
Back to the top

Does anyone know if stadiums need to meet same hurricane standards as new homes do?

This stadium looks like its pure aluminum.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Does anyone know if stadiums need to meet same hurricane standards as new homes do?

They're building the Panther Club (on the south side), a 5-story athletics center (on the west side) and something else on the east side, not quite sure. The athletics center will be under construction throughout the season, but the Panther Club is already rising as well as what ever is going under the east stands. Then eventually, they'll building the Student Center on the north side (where the old stands are) and add the second layer of stands.
Back to the top

FIUpanther said

They're building the Panther Club (on the south side), a 5-story athletics center (on the west side) and something else on the east side, not quite sure. The athletics center will be under construction throughout the season, but the Panther Club is already rising as well as what ever is going under the east stands. Then eventually, they'll building the Student Center on the north side (where the old stands are) and add the second layer of stands.

How does that answer my question?

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

FIUpanther said

How does that answer my question?

:D
Back to the top

Fledgling said

I don't know the answer to your question, but it must meet the regulations necessary for a stadium.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Fledgling said

I don't know the answer to your question, but it must meet the regulations necessary for a stadium.

GO OWLS!!!

I don't know the answer…heck, I've never thought about that question….however, I would say owlfan1 has the right answer…whatever regulations are in order would have to be met…..also, aren't most window shutters made out of aluminum? :D  BTW

As for the stadium construction funding, I've never seen, or heard where "big chunks" for the construction of the stadium are coming from reserves…From what I've read..and heard..,there is a $35 million bond already floated for the construction of the stadium, with the majority of repayment monies already in place.  Phase II is already approved for its student activities center ($24 million), with funds allocated also a part of it, but to be built for the 2010 or 2011 season.  However, I'm not clear on how (or if it's included…partially or totally) the state of the art new fieldhouse embedded underneath the west endzone bleachers,  for which cost have been estimated at $12.5 million on some numbers released, will be paid or if it's part of the total cost of construction of Phase I, ….Maybe there would some sort of reserves be used to build that, but once again, I have never read, or heard… not even from some inside sources close to the financing of the stadium…of that sort of thing.

However,  what I have read, and heard is that the operating budget for athletics has grown substantially the last year or so, and that perhaps even with an increase in athletics' fee there is a deficit in the budget, thus the very likely scenario of tapping into some reserves to 'balance' the budget.

Here are several links to stories depiciting funding for FIU's stadium…

Story on FIU Alumni Newsletter

FIU Student Newspaper Story on Stadium Financing

Miami Herald Story on Construction

Back to the top
Control functions: