Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Louisiana-Lafayette Series Preview

Add topic

The Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette stroll into Boca Raton for a 3-game series and will look to get on track after a disappointing early going.

The once Top 25 ranked team and defending Sun Belt Champs, sit with a record of 4-9 which includes a 3-game sweep Arkansas State handed them at home last week.

Don't let this record fool you, the Cajuns are definitely a formidable team and this is a series that I have looked forward to all season as I believe it will be a tell tale series for FAU as far as what kind of team they will be this season.

The Cajuns are fresh off a blow out win on the road versus La. Tech 11-2, and will come into this series hungry and desperate to get back on track.  They also will be carrying a lot of confidence know that just a year ago this team swept FAU in a 3-game series.

Here's a breakdown on the series:

RECORDS LAST 10 GAMES:
Florida Atlantic - 8-2   La- Lafayette -   2-8

PROBABLE PITCHERS
Friday Night
FAU: Mickey Storey (0-1 2.19 ERA 9 K's)    LAF: Danny Farquhar (1-2 2.50 ERA 26 K's)

Saturday
FAU: Jell Beliveau (1-0 4.11 ERA 17 K's)    LAF: Hunter Moody (2-1 2.50 ERA 21 K's)

Sunday
FAU: Adam Morrison (1-1 4.11 ERA 17 K's)    LAF: Brent Solich (0-2 5.40 ERA 14 K's)

PLAYERS TO WATCH:
Danny Farquhar - RHP, Friday's starter
Without question the most hyped up player this weekend on the field will be Farquhar who was one of 75 players named to the Golden Spikes Award Watch List. Danny is also one of 40 players named by writers to the Stopper of the Year Watch List, even though Lafayette has converted him from a closer to a starter.

Last year he ranked 27th in all NCAA D-1 baseball in strikeouts, and 9th in K's per 9 innings (nearly 12 k's per game!)

This year Farquhar has struggled significantly posting a 1-2 record and losing two consecutive games.  He is a hard thrower and gets a lot of strikeouts, 21 in 18 innings so far this year.

Hunter Moody - LHP, starter for Saturday's game
He has been a solid pitcher this year with a 2-1 record and a 2.50 ERA.  Was named to preseason Sun Belt team, last year was on the Wallace Watch for Player of the Year award.

Scott Hawkins - DH
Although none of the Cajuns hitters are posting an impressive batting average, Hawkins leads team with hits, RBI's and is one of two batters with 2 HR.

Justin Robichaux - 1B
Tied a career high with 3 hits versus La. Tech. Has played in all 14 games and has a great eye, only struck out 6 times in 48 ABs.

PLAYERS TO WATCH FOR FAU

William Block - 2b (bats third typically)
Block struggled to begin the season but has put it together as of late batting .316 with six hits in 19 AB's and has scored 5 runs in last three games.  It's a welcomed sight!

Mike McKenna - LF (bats cleanup)
Knocked out his fifth HR of the season against Monmouth Wednesday night. Has cooled off a bit with the bat, but can you really say that when the guy is still hitting .429 and leads the team with 19 RBI?

Mickey Storey - Friday Night's pitcher
After sitting out his last start with a sore arm, Storey takes the rubber Friday night.  Only allowed 3 ER all year, two of those coming via the long ball which Lafayette has a hard time finding. Come out and see why he's our ace.

Jeff Belliveau - Saturday's pitcher
Has really picked it up lately.  Versus Little Rock, Beliveau went six innings for FAU, gave up seven hits, three earned runs, walked four batters and struck out seven. We need a repeat performance Saturday.

MY DARK HORSE PLAYER TO WATCH

Jeremy Griffiths - He can flat out hit the ball and it appears Cooney likes him hitting in front of Block and McKenna in the two hole.  Batting .371 with 5 SB's this year in limited action.  I really enjoy watching him play.

MY TAKE ON THE SERIES

Lafayette is really doing a lot of soul searching which is evident by starting Freshman and those who haven't seen much playing time in the lineups so far this season.  With 7 pitchers returning, everyone expected bigger and better things from them.

Last year Cajuns went 45-17, so far this year they are more than half way to their total losses a year ago.

Farquhar will showcase his fast ball and the bottom of our order could struggle with him.   Putting a lot of pressure on Cook, Block and McKenna.  I think FAU will do all they can to get an early lead for Storey.

FAU can't afford to have a monmouth type of performance against this team, they are streaky and have yet to hit their stride.  Give a team this good any confidence and it could be a long weekend.

Lafayette does not strike out a lot and are very patient and picky hitters.  FAU pitchers have struggled mightily with the walks all year, we need to work ahead and keep the pressure on the defense with our bats.

The Cajuns committed 28 errors in 14 games this year, 6 of which game in one game and 4 in another in the series versus ASU. So we really need to get some good swings and put the ball in play and not let their pitchers get any kind of 1-2-3 innings or allow them to frustrate us.

Should be a great series, and as I said, I really think this will paint a better picture of what this FAU team will be this season.  Our hitters will face tough pitchers that know how to get batters out. While our pitchers, who have struggled throwing strikes all year,will face a team with a ton of plate discipline.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Re: Louisiana-Lafayette Series Preview

More interesting notes….

Batting Averages:

FAU - .328

LAF - .231

Home Runs:

FAU - 23

LAF - 5

RBI's:

FAU - 103

LAF - 41

Runs:

FAU - 118 (9.07 runs per game)

LAF - 46 (3.28 runs per game)

Walks Issued:

FAU - 74

LAF - 35

Strikeouts Pitching:

FAU - 106

LAF - 128

Errors:

FAU - 20

LAF - 28

Back to the top

It will be interesting to see how we handle UL's good pitching.  Personally i dont think we've faced good pitching since the Carolina series.  It will be refreshing to see if we are able to conitinue to put up the numbers we have lately against guys like Furqhar.  However, man our pitching scares the crap out of me, especially the relievers.  You never really know what your gonna get game to game.  Sometimes our guys look very impressive and then their next outing im wondering how that guy is playing D1 ball.  With this new condensed schedule we're already in our second week of conference action.  We gotta start getting some consistency from our pitching and quick.  Like Fledge says,Even though Ul's been a little shaky out of the gate this year this series should tell us a lot about where we stand. 
Back to the top

nice preview fledge….as always hats off

Looks like we match up well, shoudl turn out to be a great series…..with some good pitching.

i agree #2-4 in our batting lineup are the most exciting….who can complain when meKenna has been playing the way he is.

I hope Storey arm holds up well since he was sat up in Ark. Crack Rock

Getting out early and gonna carry the tailgate on into the game….See yah THERE!!!
Back to the top

Louisiana-Lafayette Series Preview

Nunzio42 said

nice preview fledge….as always hats off

ditto!
Back to the top

Yeah, agree Roscoe.

It would be one thing if our pitchers were giving up solid line drives or home runs, but we aren't.  We hit people, get into 3-0, 2-0 counts and walk people.  Then, when a hit does come it's usually driving in some runs.

We've given up 22 runs in the 8th and 9th innings this year.  That needs to stop!

Back to the top

Hey Fledge did you get my PM?
Back to the top

I did now... wrote back.

Back to the top
Control functions: