Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stores/entertainment catering to FAU students = bad business venture?

Add topic

I have a buddy who hopes to open up a small bar near campus five years or so down the line to cater to college students (primarily FAU but also Lynn and PBCC). Do you guys think this is a bad idea… there doesn't seem to be any places near campus that specifically cater to FAU students.

Why do you think this is – not enough residential students, Boca blocking that sort of development, etc – and do you think it will change much when the stadium/Innovation Village comes to campus?
Back to the top

Re: Stores/entertainment catering to FAU students = bad business venture?

I think he better be making bank to pay that rent!

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

I have a buddy who hopes to open up a small bar near campus five years or so down the line to cater to college students (primarily FAU but also Lynn and PBCC). Do you guys think this is a bad idea… there doesn't seem to be any places near campus that specifically cater to FAU students.

Why do you think this is – not enough residential students, Boca blocking that sort of development, etc – and do you think it will change much when the stadium/Innovation Village comes to campus?

You can only legally sell to the over 21 students, I dont know how many of those live on campus.  Plus, there are bars that serve that cleintele already..i.e. The Wishing Well, Daniel O'Connels, Murphys, etc. 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

no FAU needs more places like that he should really make it an fau bar like hang pictrues and other FAU around the bar it can be place everyone goes to watch away games a remeber FAU will be a diffrent school in 5 years
Back to the top

Isn't that what Duffy's is now?

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

owlcountry said

no FAU needs more places like that he should really make it an fau bar like hang pictrues and other FAU around the bar it can be place everyone goes to watch away games a remeber FAU will be a diffrent school in 5 years

Right. It would be a bar and grill… so even if he can't sell alcohol to under-21's (obviously) he can still serve them food. It would be like a small, very-FAU version of Duffy's. He was eyeing places by NW 2nd and 20th Street… places you could walk to from campus. That's the key element, I think… being able to walk there from campus.
Back to the top

like Fledge said he must be making some serious dough to open up a place in Boca. Rent is going to be really high which can be why you don't see any bars right near campus, I'm sure people have thought about it in the past.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Wait Jab you stated this in the other thread:

"Think of it this way, you can go to the bar on campus legally drink and stumble back to your room all the while not have to worry about driving."

Is there no bar on campus, just wondering?
Back to the top

The said

Wait Jab you stated this in the other thread:

"Think of it this way, you can go to the bar on campus legally drink and stumble back to your room all the while not have to worry about driving."

Is there no bar on campus, just wondering?

There is, but it only serves beer, and wine, plus the atmosphere isn't very good. I think it'd be a really cool idea, especially being so close to campus, it could be THE place to watch FAU football, basketball and other sports. I know Duffy's is where we watch football, but another place wouldn't hurt either, plus FAU will be a much different place in 5 years.
Back to the top

Stores/entertainment catering to FAU students = bad business venture?

owlcountry said

there used to be…but Boca is just plain old too trendy of a location…and bars in SF in general are cyclical, except for Cheers on Cypress Creek, whcih seems to be have been around since 1857…
Back to the top
Control functions: