Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Just how much is $250K really worth?

Add topic

Here's just a select amount of the programs that offered at or bellow $250k last season…Btw, ALL were TOURNAMENT schools in 2007:

Kent State $250k
Belmont $228k
Winthrop $206k
NC Wilmington $170k
Albany $165k
Murray State $155k
Norther Iowa $152k
Southern $125k
Oral Roberts $115k
Montana $115k
Northwesten State $99k

Rex made more than 8 of them…

Is Mercer worth the $250k risk with what he has coming back at FAU - and the possibility of taking a step later that is much better timed?

No.  And it wont get him to the tournament quicker either…….

Back to the top

Re: Just how much is $250K really worth?

Eeek.  I don't know man, Mercer has a better shot of an automatic bid every year than FAU does.  Hate to break some hearts, but that's my opinion.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Ok, ill go there…and add this:

He saw his former boss "take the money and run" to the Private Christian (Methodist) School…….

Fast forward and what is Doherty's percentage in conference play at SM-pew?  TERRIBLE.  Like 15%…

Garbage.

Sooo, here's Rex's "offer" to bail for the *Bling*:

MUCH smaller Private Baptist school in *gulp* Macon, GA?
Lesser Facilities
More rural and less desirable that Dallas
Harder to recruit
Not the top of the A-Sun by any means
RPI 9 spots lower than where he is now

Leaving would be the WORST mistake he could possibly make…

Sit tight…have another solid year or two in the SBC and let a bigger player make an offer…

Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Sit tight…have another solid year or two in the SBC and let a bigger player make an offer…

Maybe he has less confidence that he can have another solid year or two than you do.

Back to the top

Fledgling said

Maybe he has less confidence that he can have another solid year or two than you do.

Fledge, have you seen you seen the talent we have coming in here at FAU??

Back to the top

No, has coach?  ;D

Back to the top

Fledgling said

No, has coach?  ;D

:D

:-\

:'(

Back to the top

Just how much is $250K really worth?

Florida_Owl said

Lesser Facilities
More rural and less desirable that Dallas

From what i have seen of their facilities, they look nice…..well nicer than the inside of the Burrow atleast.  As for more Rural, thats a good thing to raise a family….i mean dont get me wrong i love all the gangs we have around here but i wouldnt want to raise a family in south florida…….

and ok so look foward…..he sits tight and then in 2 years he interviews and goes some place else…..that isnt going to change the reactions of the fans…..we will feel like he has left this team that he has built……
Back to the top

if he got a better offer to say coach a team in the Missouri Valley Conference and they were paying him like $500,000 a year and he took it, I think people would be upset but they'd understand. In the MVC he has more of a chance to get into the tournament and from there if successful he can make the jump to a major conference.

The problem I have is that we get these coaches who say they're going to stay here for a while and do what it takes then after 2 years they leave. Now I understand thus is the nature of the business but don't preach about how you're going to stay here and do what it takes to win, in fact don't say anything at all. If Doherty and Rex didn't say anything about wanting to stay here and loving it here and not wanting to leave then I'd have no problems if he left for something better.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I doubt this is about the money.  $250k is not huge money in college basketball,  It may be about principles and family values, don't know.  I will say that it is most likely easier to live on $250k in Macon than it is to live on $175k in Boca Raton.
Back to the top
Control functions: