Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FYI: New bowl game in St. Pete

Add topic

First off- thank you for the messages about Ereck Plancher.  UCF fans appreciate that.

Next, according to the sptimes.com there is a new bowl game awaiting approval for St. Pete.  The bowl game will match the Big East vs. CUSA and will be played at Tropicana Field (indoors-yuck).  I like this idea because if UCF doesn't win the conference, it's possible we could have a nice local bowl that our fans can travel to easilly.

Just thought it'd be interesting to pass along that FL is getting another bowl game.
Back to the top

Re: FYI: New bowl game in St. Pete

Whoa... good bowl match up too. So Big East and CUSA would get another bowl bid?

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Seriously,

Our SunBelt Commsioner needs to get off his duff and secure a second bowl for his confrence. Its INCONCIEVABLE that CUSA gets ANOTHER bowl tie in.

I agree that it would be a GREAT bowl for UCF to get into. Homefield advantage almost. Not to mention you could have a USF vs UCF in it. But seriously the Belt needs some love, is it no wonder that EVERYONE wants out of it? It never gets ANY attention even with nice wins in football and 2 teams in the dance.

>:(

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Seriously,
Our SunBelt Commsioner needs to get off his duff and secure a second bowl for his confrence. Its INCONCIEVABLE that CUSA gets ANOTHER bowl tie in.

CUSA vs BE? They already have this – it's called the PapaJohns.com bowl.

What positions within the CUSA/BE conferences would qualify for the new bowl game?

CUSA already has six bowl affiliations:

Liberty Bowl – CUSA vs SEC
PapaJohns.com Bowl – CUSA vs BE
GMAC Bowl - CUSA vs MAC
New Orleans Bowl – CUSA vs SBC
Hawai'i Bowl – CUSA vs WAC

…and Armed Forces Bowl on alternating years with the Pac-10

Back to the top

Give us the GMAC or the Papajohns!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

The Hawaii Bowl is replacing CUSA with the Pac-10.  And I'm glad- it's a trip that is totally unaffordable for 95% of fans.

I do believe the Armed Forces Bowl will be a CUSA bowl every other year in D.C.

Back to the top

FYI: New bowl game in St. Pete

SeminOWL2006 said

Give us the GMAC or the Papajohns!

Exactly. CUSA doesn't really need another BE tie-in because they already have one.

I think if Troy, MTSU and FAU continue to be strong… and WKU makes a big splash… I think there will be more serious consideration about an SBC/BE bowl.

Top SBC team vs bottom BE team even… how do you think that would that have matched up this year?
Back to the top

I hope this gets final approval, the "trop" is 5 miles from my place.  I wish we could tie in their somehow, but for the location I will take what I can get.  It would be real cool to have a USF UCF matchup there, but I would think tickets would be hard to get, that trop ain't that big.  I guess St. Pete needs to find ways to raise some money out of that place, since the D-rays can't do it.  It's a cool place to see an event though, if any of you guys have been to it since they remodeled it, you know what I'm talkin about. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder - is the Trop a nice place?  I heard it was kind of run down…

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Good for the CUSA, maybe they won't have enough eligible teams to fill their bowl tie ins.  That would be about the only way we will get a second bowl with our shitty conference commisioner.
Back to the top
Control functions: