Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Previewing La-Monroe Series

Add topic

Well, here we are…one full month into the baseball season with two more to go.

This weekend, we are in perfect position to get a little seperation between us and the rest of the Belt in the standings.  However, it won't be easy.

It seems like every Sun Belt series is huge, but with Lafayette having a down year this is the biggest series we've had to date.  FAU travels to Monroe to play its first road series of the year and the Warhawks are ready.

ULM (14-8, 7-2 Sun Belt) enters the weekend just behind FAU (16-6, 6-1) in the conference standings due to winning percentage.  The series features two of the best Sun Belt offenses with the FAU leading the SBC in home runs, second in batting average and runs scored. ULM ranks fourth in homers, batting average and runs scored respectively.

This series is somewhat scary in my eyes.  It would have been hard to find a hotter team than FAU last week, as they won 7 straight.  So a 5-game layoff, while nice enough, could end up being a bad thing for our momentum.

COMPARING THE TEAMS
Team Batting Average:

ULM - .317
FAU - .335

Runs:

ULM - 177 (142 by opposition)
FAU - 221 (144 by opposition)

Pitching Statistics:

Team ERA:

ULM - 5.56
FAU - 5.61

PROBABLE PITCHERS

Friday:
Mickey Storey (2-1 2.22 ERA) vs. Jared Jennings (2-2 2.27 ERA)

Saturday:
Mike Gipson (2-0 5.02 ERA) vs. TBA

Sunday:
Mike Obradovich (1-1 11.32 ERA) vs. Josh Lett (4-1 2.16)

PLAYERS TO WATCH FROM MONROE

Batting Average Leaders

1.  Soignier, Ben   .402
2.  Fontenot, Dexter   .387
3.  Suire, Kyle   .372
4.  Collins, Matt   .346
5.  Siggers, A.J.   .333

RBI Producers

1.  Suire, Kyle   26
2.  Fontenot, Dexter   21
3.  Collins, Matt   20
  Siggers, A.J.   20
5.  3 tied at …  14

Hit Leaders

1.  Soignier, Ben   35
2.  Suire, Kyle   32
3.  Siggers, A.J.   29
4.  Collins, Matt   28
5.  Prevost, Jon   26

On Base Percentage Leaders

1.  Soignier, Ben   .505
2.  Suire, Kyle   .477
3.  Fontenot, Dexter   .475
4.  McMillan, Ryan   .422
5.  Prevost, Jon   .417

MY TAKE

Pitch or shutup.  Time for FAU to have some quality starts, great pitching in relief and clutch outs.  Stop the walks!

I like Cooney starting Gipson, although a freshman, he has consistantly thrown strikes.  If FAU starts giving free passes (walks) at the rate they have, Monroe will be the team that finally makes them pay for it.

Will they pitch to McKenna? I hope so.

Will Bubley and Wilson show up? We need them to.

Best bet FAU takes 2 of 3.  I think we stay hot offensively and get just enough pitching from Gipson and Obradovich to beat Monroe.  They've faced some of the lower echelon teams in the belt, so their record doesn't really impress me.  Their hitting does, however.  And for once, FAU may need to rely on their pitching more than their offense.

I'm a little nervous about this series, but have full confidence Cooney has the recipe.

Should be a great series.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Re: Previewing La-Monroe Series

Good game tonight, could have gone either way. Strong winds blowing into Warhawk Field tonight. Looking forward to Sat and Sun.
Back to the top

ermis33 said

Good game tonight, could have gone either way. Strong winds blowing into Warhawk Field tonight. Looking forward to Sat and Sun.

We lost? That's weird.
Back to the top

Tough one. Not too many times you'll see Mickey get lit up like a Christmas tree…

But, it happens.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Tough one. Not too many times you'll see Mickey get lit up like a Christmas tree…

But, it happens.

With these two teams incredible offense's, no pitching it safe! LOL
Back to the top

2 more RBI for McKenna he now has 45. Today's game starts at 5. We have a freshman on the mound in Gibson hope he can keep the walks under control

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Previewing La-Monroe Series

we lost again 3-2  :'(
Back to the top

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Looks to be a nice stadium, I like the brick along the foul lines although I'm sure that won't be to pretty if you crash into it

Back to the top

bad time for our offense to disappear. Looks like OB didn't do to bad but from the box score we had 1 big error. OB allowed 6 runs but only 2 of them were earned and those came on 2 solo shots.

Cooney took OB out after 2 and brought in Pepe who collapsed and allowed 4 ER in 1 1/3 innings.

We are losing 11-3 in the top of the 6th inning but we only have 4 hits so far for the day.

Looks like ULM has our number for now, hopefully if we meet them in the SBC tournament we can get some revenge. I don't know if it's because of the 5 day layoff that killed our momentum or if ULM is just THAT much better then us

Back to the top
Control functions: