Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Whatever happened to the On campus Hospital

Add topic

Is this still going to happen or what.  Havent heard anything in a while lately.  Actually last I heard it was running into a few snags.  I just was reading an article in the miami herald from last friday about FIU's medical school and it got we wondering whats going on with FAU's on campus hospital that was making big news a while back.  Anybody know whats going on
Back to the top

Re: Whatever happened to the On campus Hospital

I heard there were some "snags"…cant give particulars though…

But im sure Owlcountry can! :)
Back to the top

I'm told by a friend that works at the hospital that plans are all but dead and they are just going to build onto the existing building.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

If they are making plans to add to the existing building then this issue is probably pretty much dead and wont happen.  Original plans were to build on campus 2011.  If they are making plans to add to existing building then any addition would not be complete until around 2011.  Hmmm,  No wonder we havent heard anything lately. 
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Is this still going to happen or what.  Havent heard anything in a while lately.  Actually last I heard it was running into a few snags.  I just was reading an article in the miami herald from last friday about FIU's medical school and it got we wondering whats going on with FAU's on campus hospital that was making big news a while back.  Anybody know whats going on

BRCH has to right their ship financially before they can commit to a construction date. They're in a muck right now for several reasons and it may take them 5-10 years to get out of it.

Furthermore – as you may have read – they didn't even get the donations from the community in the amount they wanted. It's got to be a hard pitch to people: "Yes, we already HAVE a hospital but we want a NEW ONE." I also know that they got a gift for a robotics surgery center within that new hospital and it would be a shame if that fell through. If it's true that they're going to build onto BRCH instead, I would hope the robotics surgery center gets a home there.

Look, worse comes to worse, BRCH stays where it is and we just rotate medical/nursing students through there. They're already doing it now anyway. FAU's medical program won't falter as a result of not having the new hospital on-campus and it may be a blessing anyway since there isn't a whole lot of undeveloped land left and FAU could use that area for something else (coughHOUSINGcough)

Anyway, I was told that FAU pitched its own medical building to the Florida legislature. I don't know the details of it except to say that it would be significantly smaller than the existing hospital. The upside to this is that we would own it rather than lease out space to another entity.

I don't know if that proposal was approved or not. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.
Back to the top

I wonder what happened to dip sticks. I mean I know it was just dyed sugar with a stick (that didn't taste very good, even though I ate it anyway), but man I really miss it. 
Back to the top

sanibel said

I wonder what happened to dip sticks. I mean I know it was just dyed sugar with a stick (that didn't taste very good, even though I ate it anyway), but man I really miss it.

You sure you don't want some

Back to the top

Whatever happened to the On campus Hospital

owlcountry said

roscoeowl said

BRCH has to right their ship financially before they can commit to a construction date. They're in a muck right now for several reasons and it may take them 5-10 years to get out of it.

Furthermore – as you may have read – they didn't even get the donations from the community in the amount they wanted. It's got to be a hard pitch to people: "Yes, we already HAVE a hospital but we want a NEW ONE." I also know that they got a gift for a robotics surgery center within that new hospital and it would be a shame if that fell through. If it's true that they're going to build onto BRCH instead, I would hope the robotics surgery center gets a home there.

Look, worse comes to worse, BRCH stays where it is and we just rotate medical/nursing students through there. They're already doing it now anyway. FAU's medical program won't falter as a result of not having the new hospital on-campus and it may be a blessing anyway since there isn't a whole lot of undeveloped land left and FAU could use that area for something else (coughHOUSINGcough)

Anyway, I was told that FAU pitched its own medical building to the Florida legislature. I don't know the details of it except to say that it would be significantly smaller than the existing hospital. The upside to this is that we would own it rather than lease out space to another entity.

I don't know if that proposal was approved or not. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Why do you know all this?

Back to the top

Fledgling said

Why do you know all this?

Is there something wrong with me knowing this?
Back to the top

No, but why do you know this?

Back to the top
Control functions: