Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rex Walters to USF (no, not that one)

Add topic

the University of San Francisco.

I thought it was unusual that Rex's name would be floated for this job across the country.
Wanted to give you all a heads up but it is hard to think he will be offered or take the job but it is curious his name is in the mix.
It maybe the USF searching committee trying to give the candidate list a "national" feel.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/11/SPI31043CV.DTL
Back to the top

Re: Rex Walters to USF (no, not that one)

O no not again
Back to the top

cant see this move....REX is here, unless the money is just insane.
Back to the top

Get used to it.  Coach has become a commodity for consideration by some pretty good programs out there.  The heat will only increase when FAU stuns the world and goes over 20 wins next year.  I think this is possible for the following reasons:

Others on this blog have asserted that FAU will low ball their schedule this year, playing against tough opponent in the preseason only in games to get the required "guaranteed money " games out of the way.

This will also help the "newcomers" jell quicker since the games may allow for more players to get experience in the  pre-conference schedule.

Our returning cast of players should rank in the top 4 in the SBC, giving us a shot at a 12-6 conference record.  Hell, if we were in the west division we could go 15-3.

All of this will conspire to put him on many lists (on average 50+ coaches are changed each year–this is a low volume year so far).

I agree with the comments that at best Walters' name probably was put on a list based on some perceived formulat of wise coach, experienced assistants, up and comer.

If I was a gamblin man I would say it is Bob Burton if he wants the job.  I've met him and he has a class A basketball mind, has turned the Fullerton program around and was coach at West Valley (within spitting distance of San Francisco).

Back to the top

Rex is now on the head hunters list…he will appear as a "candidate" (as Angelos' name does) just because of that…it doesnt mean the school wants him, or that he expressed interest…

Good comments BBFan!
Back to the top

I just can't see this be the job that Rex leaves the Owls to take.  San Fran is a long ways a way and I recall reading that one of the deciding factors of Rex not taking the Mercer gig was that he has family in the area here.  Plus, all of the other names on USF's list have ties to the West Coast.  It wouldn't make much sense for them to hire someone without much, if any, experience in recruiting in the west.
Back to the top

Rex Walters to USF (no, not that one)

fauowls44 said

I just can't see this be the job that Rex leaves the Owls to take.  San Fran is a long ways a way and I recall reading that one of the deciding factors of Rex not taking the Mercer gig was that he has family in the area here.  Plus, all of the other names on USF's list have ties to the West Coast.  It wouldn't make much sense for them to hire someone without much, if any, experience in recruiting in the west.

The whole thing makes no sense and don't be surprised if Angleos/Walters don't take it too too seriously.
Back to the top

Rex will become a VERY good coach, he has shown the ability to change which is key as he contniues to develop this program and himself as a young coach.  And others will seek him out.

I think it will put some pressure on FAU to continue to develop the facilities & infastructures that is athletics in general.  A coach like Howard, Cooney & Joyce that have been a staple here are no longer the norm in todays sports and we ar very fortunate to have them.  I would love to see Rex have a long tenture here at FAU.

If FAU is serious about moving to a "better" conference then they better make some adjustments a long the way, because staying status quo will not get us there.  Changes are required to continue the growth process, keeping things the same will only result in the same old results.  Hopefully FAU athletics took some notice and do what they must to help FAU attractive enough for Rex want to stay if another offer in the future does come & it will come at one point ( if Mercer wasn't a wake-up call then some folks in athletics need to go).

I know that money does place some restrictions on things, but the more you focus on the "lack" the more of it you will have.
Back to the top

More rumors from USF according to those with some connections from their message board at www.donscentral.com

USF AD wants Carter from Nevada
The official search committee wants Burton
The compromise pick is Walters

I agree that I'd bet on Burton from the Big West Conference.  Things in the West Coast Conference have been very interesting lately for coaches.  Being in a league dominated by Gonzaga has turned the heat on a lot of schools.  We've had about 100% coaching turnover in the past 3 seasons, two coaches were fired or resigned mid-season (USF, Pepperdine).  LMU just fired our coach after 3 seasons and bought former UNLV coach Bayno for over $400,000 a year.  I think the trend now is more more sizzle and that is why Walters might be on the list and an actual possibility.

I still don't think it'll happen and I'm not sure if it would be a good move.  USF has a lot of problems with its administration (they are currently being sued by their former coach, Jessie Evans, who was fired mid-season).  Evans was brought to USF from Louisiana Lafayette.
Back to the top

Obviously, nothing has been said by Rex or anyone from FAU about this rumor yet, but given the flirtation with Mercer, I'm taking this one seriously too.  What has me confused is the quality of the programs that Walters is looking at here.  Mercer would have been a step back.  USF??  That is a lateral move at best.  I don't know much about USF, other than the fact they were a basketball powerhouse a million years ago.  Just from what I can gather from their website, history not withstanding, they don't seem to offer much, other then more money of course.  They play in a gym built in the late 1950's, whose design we stole by the looks of it.  They draw more fans per game then we do, but not by all that much.  I don't get why Rex would want to move his family across the country for that job.  As with Mercer, just seems to me that he's in a much better spot here professionally.  He can have more success here, faster, with this team.  If he does that, you'd think a job that would actually be a step up would be waiting for him.

We'll see what happens.  I just hope this is put to rest quickly, one way or another.  This whole basketball coach in limbo thing is getting real old.  As much as I like Rex, part of me just wants him to get to his next job already.  We all know it is coming eventually.

Not that this would ever happen…or be legal…but coaches should get one free pass with this type of situation per offseason.  If a coach is offered a job, but turns down an offer from another school, he should remain off limits for at least 1 calender year.  ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: