Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Recruits

Add topic

I must say I am shocked by Walters leaving.  Somehow FAU needs to find someone who will stick around for awhile.  I look forward to hearing about the new coach and watching next season.  The athletic department has been making strong efforts to boost this bball program over the last few years and I expect that to continue.

As for recruits.  It is my understanding that Pena and Shine (and anyone else who may have signed in the interim) cannot get out of their National letter of intent.  As the NCAA states you sign with a University and not with a coach therefore you can't opt out of your LOI if the coach leaves.  Anybody who has not signed is free to do as they wish.

The nucleus will be there.  Let's see who the administration hires and go from there.  Could be a great year next year.

UPDATE: Now that I think back on other cases.  I think usually what happens is the school contacts these kids who have signed and asks them to wait to hear from the new coach.  The new coach gets hired and then the kids make a decision whethter they want to go there, sit out a year, or go to juco for a year.  Sometimes if they put up a big enough fuss to save face the school will release them so I guess that could happen.  I still expect to see these guys next year in an FAU uniform.
Back to the top

Re: Recruits

apetbrown said

I must say I am shocked by Walters leaving.  Somehow FAU needs to find someone who will stick around for awhile.  I look forward to hearing about the new coach and watching next season.  The athletic department has been making strong efforts to boost this bball program over the last few years and I expect that to continue.

As for recruits.  It is my understanding that Pena and Shine (and anyone else who may have signed in the interim) cannot get out of their National letter of intent.  As the NCAA states you sign with a University and not with a coach therefore you can't opt out of your LOI if the coach leaves.  Anybody who has not signed is free to do as they wish.

The nucleus will be there.  Let's see who the administration hires and go from there.  Could be a great year next year.

UPDATE: Now that I think back on other cases.  I think usually what happens is the school contacts these kids who have signed and asks them to wait to hear from the new coach.  The new coach gets hired and then the kids make a decision whethter they want to go there, sit out a year, or go to juco for a year.  Sometimes if they put up a big enough fuss to save face the school will release them so I guess that could happen.  I still expect to see these guys next year in an FAU uniform.

I wouldn't. Normally the school gives the players the option of getting out. I think this is the standard practice and no big fuss is needed. Schools and new coaches know it is better to have players who want to be there instead of players who are forced to be there.
Back to the top

Recruits

I guess that would depend on how highly coveted these guys are by other schools.  At this late stage would they still be welcome at the other schools they may choose.  I hope they'll find FAU remains their best choice.
Back to the top

Ape:

i think they can do whatever they want?

its a safety net for the kids the NCAA put into place…

Back to the top

I think we have a shot at everyone except possibly Nwoji and maybe Brett.  Both of these guys arefrom out of state so it comes down to how they relate with the new coach and staff.

Back to the top
Control functions: