Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Job hopping article...

Add topic

Intersting that this is a front page yahoo.com article for today given the walters (← will remain permanently lower case) scenario we now face …it does  make some valid points for both sides of the arguement…but in this case, human being are involved - kids plans, and thier life as a college student with a committed role model…that is something the article doesnt address…

Anyway, for what it's worth:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-will_job_hopping_hurt_your_career-339

Back to the top

Re: Job hopping article...

Someone was fired at my work for searching on hotjobs, so I don't dare look. LOL

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

nice article, but a little shallow.  I would think (like college) there are freshman, sophmore, junior and senior positions in the post college career years. It could be considered a natural progression in life.

Also missing is the one-sidedness of the argument about "in the old days" which overlooks the change in company structure (no more mom and pop), merger mania, and the willingness of our new society to deny loyal employees progression by hiring at the intermediate and higher levels of the corporation FROM WITHOUT.

I also find a little tedious the "hopes and dreams" of the players.  If the NCAA or for that matter, the binding institution were as concerned as you would like, a blanket release of all player signed by the departing coach would solve the problem.

Loyalty WAS a two way street, but in this society a more definitive description would be that LOYALTY IS A ONE WAY DEADEND.

I haven't seen a single instance reported where FAU made an effort to hear Walters out on some of the administrative and financial issues accruing to him due to the institution's policies and allocation of resources.  Don't know if it woould have made a difference, but if both hands are dirty, why is only one being pilloried?

Let's put this behind us and hope that all players return and FAU makes some nois this year.

Back to the top

Job hopping article...

I was just having this conversation with my uncle a couple of weeks ago.  He had been working up on Wall street for years, then he was suddenly laid off.  Since then, he has hopped around several jobs, and had numerous periods of unemployment.  He realized that he did not want to be in the cutthroat business world anymore, but has never done anything else, so he wasn't even sure of what type of job to apply for.

I think that jobs are much more specialized now, then they were years ago.  My parents and grandparents got one job, and stuck with it their entire working career, but the job market was much simpler then.  When I graduated FAU in 03, I grabbed a quick job opening with a small company that packaged and shipped live marine animals to shops and museums.  From their I got into aquarium installation and maintanence (Insert Duece Bigelow Joke here ;D).  I did that for about 2-3 yrs before I had enough of south florida and left the area.  While job hunting, a friend of mine told me to send a resume to a company he knew of.  I had no idea what I was even applying for, but sent it anyway.  I ended up at my current job working for an environmental permitting company.  I still consider myself somewhat young at 27 and while I think I will stay in this field, I can't say for certain that I will stay with this company, I would like to, but you can't predict the future.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Living the American Dream ain't easy anymore.  Good luck in the future. I'm very fortunate (or a little naive) since I consider my boss one of my very best friends, and look forward to going to work.  I wish that for you and everyone.
Back to the top

NewOwlOldBBFan said

Living the American Dream ain't easy anymore.  Good luck in the future. I'm very fortunate (or a little naive) since I consider my boss one of my very best friends, and look forward to going to work.  I wish that for you and everyone.

Lucky you.  My boss is my Dad.
Back to the top
Control functions: