Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Mike Jarvis: Rolling the dice...

Add topic

Mike Jarvis: Rolling the dice...

ok, the guy can coach…no doubt…

he can recruit…no doubt…

he is a proven winner…no doubt…

the problem is his reputation…especially the last year of his coaching career - whcih ended in 2003-2004 5 games into the season…

normally i dont cite wikipedia, but being familiar with the scandals that rocked that season (his last at St Johns) i am comfortable with posting this link…

team control was at a NILL. ZERO. NADDA.

of course a case can be made for even recruiting players that woulkd participate in such behaviors to begin with…but no matter how you slice it or dice it, it was his job to control the entire operation…

Here's the info:

Mike Jarvis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Back to the top

Re: Mike Jarvis: Rolling the dice...

the problem with Jarvis is as soon as a better offer comes along… he's gone. FAU admin wonders why no one shows up to the games well you change coaches every 2-3 years and people stop caring. Fans like stability

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I never followed St. Johns closely during the Jarvis tenure.  But I was a pretty big college basketball fan.  What I do remember about his St. Johns teams were that they seemed to be highly undisciplined.

I didn't attribute it so much to his lack of control, but more to the type of players he recruited.  They reminded me of Stephon Marbury type guys.  Guys from the playgrounds who were amazing individual players but never bought into team concepts so much.  I just felt that these were the attitudes of his teams in general. Perhaps that is why the problems players encountered manifested themsevles off the court.

He wouldn't be my first choice for the coach of FAU.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I could be off base.
Back to the top

LOL if Rex left with a losing record imagine what Jarvis would do if he wins 20 wow!!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

the problem with Jarvis is as soon as a better offer comes along… he's gone. FAU admin wonders why no one shows up to the games well you change coaches every 2-3 years and people stop caring. Fans like stability

it would be the second time FAU would have rescued a former coach from the scrap heap…….

but i dont know if he would move, and ill tell you why:

He lives here, and has for quite some time…he attends Church here…

and he's getting up there…not a spring chicken…

he may be the basketball version of HS as far as career timing - his last stop…

BUT, i still question the control he would impliment…….

Thoughts??
Back to the top

Jab979 said

The recent articles imply that Angelos is looking to promote internally, not only because they're already familiar with the program/area/people but also because they aren't "big names" that will be highly coveted (at least until FAU does what WKU did… which hopefully will be next year)

The thing about Balado, outside of everyone's support for him on this messageboard, is that he reportedly helped to land these recruits that we're worried about losing. He could maintain their confidence.

The thing about Walters is that he set the bar high… he was getting highly-regarded players and they wanted to play for him "because he got into the NBA so he knows what it takes to get there." How Balado will fare in that regard remains to be seen.
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Jab979 said

it would be the second time FAU would have rescued a former coach from the scrap heap…….

Thoughts??

In my mind it would be a pathetic attempt to WOW everyone, honestly.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

I don't know much about Jarvis's coaching style, but based on his experience, i'm sure he's someone that will get a long look.

I don't think he'd be looking at this as a "stepping stone" either.  Like FO said, he has roots here…he's built a house and a company in Boca.  Plus I don't see him as the Doherty type.  Doherty coached at Notre Dame and UNC…two MAJOR programs.  Jarvis never really reached that level.  St. John's is a good program, but not even close to UNC.  I don't know if he's a good fit here or not, but hopefully they explore the option.
Back to the top

I get your points I just think if a similar offer came along from a school in a better conference and the money was a little better he's gone. If he wins 20 games his first season I'd be shocked if he's here for the next season. That's not fair to the players or the fans.

Which is why I think Balado is the right guy. Knows the system, knows the players, knows the recruits, won't require a lot of money like a Mike Jarvis would.

I know his biggest knock is "he has no experience" ya know what neither did Sidney Green and he was our most successful coach and he got us into our 1 and only NCAA Tournament appearance.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Jab979 said

Thoughts??

Lol. If he lives here where else would he go to church?
Back to the top
Control functions: