Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

My editorial in the University Press

Add topic

being put on their online blog today… and in print next Thursday…

By: FAUOwl09

Is this a re-run of a bad movie?  Do you feel like this annoying nightmare keeps haunting your sleep, and every time you wake up and think it’s over, it returns the next night?  Well it is now 2008, and Florida Atlantic University is searching for yet another Men’s Basketball coach.  This hiring will be the fourth coach to lead our roundball Owls in the past five years.  At least football has the Ole Coach Schnellenberger, right?  Baseball has had the same coach for 21 years – and plenty of success to go along with it.  Softball has ripped apart the Atlantic Sun and Sun Belt in the past decade under Coach Joyce.  She’s been coaching here before the university even opened, right?  So why hasn’t basketball retained a coach for longer than two years?

Our past two coaches have been “big, national names” who were never truly happy coaching at Florida Atlantic University.  What do I mean by this?  Remember that old mantra that used to go along with our university, “F-A-Who?”  Well our past two basketball coaches, Matt Doherty and Rex Walters, were graduates of the University of North Carolina and University of Kansas, respectively.   Yeah, two of the most successful basketball schools in the history of college basketball.  Matt Doherty coached at his alma mater and was so successful that he won the National Coach of the Year Award in 2001.  Rex Walters is regarded as one of the greatest athletes ever at Kansas.  He played in the 1993 Final Four for the Jayhawks.  Needless to say, Doherty and Walters are accustomed to the “finer things in college basketball.”  Sold-out, glamorous, massive arenas with ESPN crews hovering over their every move; that fits the lifestyle of Doherty and Walters.  Now you tell me: did Doherty or Walters ever seem to be a good fit at Florida Atlantic?  That answer is obvious; so obvious that we learned the hard way when Doherty bolted after ONE year and Walters left after TWO years.

So here we go: back to square one.  Our Athletic Director, Craig Angelos, is looking for yet another basketball coach to lead our Owls.  Thankfully, Angelos does not have to look far at all!  The man to replace Rex Walters has an office right next to Walters’ old one!  The top assistant for the past three years for FAU has been a man by the name of Mike Balado.  This is a man I have worked under for the past two years and he is the man for this job at this time in our university’s history.  Balado is a native South Floridian, born and raised in the beautiful climate of Miami.  How are these for South Florida credentials?  Balado has had ONE job for only TWO years outside of the South Florida area.  Other than 1998-2000 being in Georgia, Balado has dedicated his professional career thus far to the tri-county area of South Florida high school and college basketball.  He has worked at FAU for three years under Doherty and Walters and has been instrumental in recruiting a vast majority of the current athletes on our basketball team.  With a native tongue of Spanish, his Hispanic background gives him the essential cultural leverage to recruit the top athletes in our diverse area.  It is a no-brainer to see why Matt Doherty hired Balado in 2005 to assist him at FAU.  Balado is an unbelievable “South Florida connection.”

However, out of the list you just read, his impeccable morals, his leadership qualities, and his humble personality, the best reason for Balado’s candidacy is something I have not yet touched upon.  As a student at FAU and writing to you, my fellow students, the biggest reason I want Mike Balado coaching my school’s basketball team is his personal connection to FAU.  Mike Balado genuinely cares about Florida Atlantic University.  After sitting with him and talking to him about what the job means to him, I know whole-heartedly that Balado wants THIS job – not just any Division I college basketball job.  He wants to build a winner at our school; he wants to become the coach of Florida Atlantic and enjoy the opportunity to be a part of a growing school and program.  He is not looking for the next step in his career, like his two predecessors.  Doherty and Walters were constantly looking for that next job; Balado wants THIS job.  Is it a coincidence that Mike Balado was the only basketball coach the past three years to show up at FAU football and baseball games?  While Doherty and Walters were looking for their next jobs, Balado was supporting FAU athletics!  With the success of our baseball and softball and football programs here at FAU, this mind-set for a head coach is so critical.  It is no secret that our athletics program is not going to go anywhere without a successful basketball program to complement the other sports.  We need STABILITY and CONTINUITY and COHESIVENESS.  Mike Balado represents everything we need in a head coach of our truly unique university.

I am asking for your help, fellow students.  Please contact me and I can tell you everything Balado needs from you.  The students have began an online petition and your signature would be greatly appreciated.  (Petition We want Mike Balado as Florida Atlantic Head Coach)  Also: E-mail Craig Angelos.  E-mail Frank Brogan.  Speak out at baseball games about Mike Balado.  Show your support for OUR man.  Coach Balado put it best when I asked him about his candidacy for this job: “A hometown team needs a hometown man!”  Mike Balado is OUR man.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Re: My editorial in the University Press

Who is going to read all this? You'd be better off asking them to re-print your banner.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

My editorial in the University Press

that's a pretty ridiculous comment, fledge… i'm kinda surprised, actually

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

You shouldn't be.  I'm sure it means a lot to you to write all that, but if you REALLY want people to hear your message you need something quick.  We don't read anymore… so people are going to take one look at that in the paper, see how long it is and skip it.

Do what you want, just trying to help you out. 

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Who is going to read all this? You'd be better off asking them to re-print your banner.

LOL…I quit reading about halfway through.  But I got the gist of it…fauowls09 wants Balado to get the job.
Back to the top

It is going to depend on who reads it. Chances are if someone went through the trouble of getting the UP, or finding it online, they are going to read some or all of it if they are interested in sports. I read it all, I am not sure yet if I would support this guy, but you made a number of compelling arguments.
Back to the top

Wow normally I would read it all but if you can get the point across in a short paragraph (or an image as said previously) then any more than that is not going to be read.  You lost me after the first paragraph despite that I agree with you.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

You all are a bunch of morons. Excuse, Owl09 for actually caring and wanting what is best for the program.

Owl,

Thats a great article and I can't wait to get my hands on the UP next week and see it in print, I just hope it hits home for Coach Balado.  You seem like you really care about FAU and that is what the school needs! more people like you! I was going to go to spring game this weekend, but I can't… I will be away on business.  :-[

~B U T T E R~
Back to the top

Good article, and i think it will get the point across long winded or not...
Back to the top

Well said Mr 09owl, I think balado would do an excelent job as head coach, he loves FAU, his players and South Florida B-Ball.  He Knows FAU, the players and the fans.  He's the best man for the job! and take that to the big man! (and craig)

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top
Control functions: