Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Online petition in support of Mike Balado

Add topic

Re: Online petition in support of Mike Balado

So if Sammy isn't carrying his weight (no pun intended lol) can we vote him off the burrow? haha

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

09, made the point very clear as to why you need to establish yourself on this forum first, people don't care who you are or what you do, what position you hold - irrelevant facts, how you interact with all members is more important.

These board members gave Coach Cooney the third degree when he joined us for some conversation one afternoon.

Back to the top

WE ARE NOW 100-SRONG!!!!!!

100 PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED THE PETITION IN AN UNBELIEVABLY SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME - JUST THREE DAYS

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE SUPPORTING THIS CAUSE

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Jab979 said

So if Sammy isn't carrying his weight (no pun intended lol) can we vote him off the burrow? haha

We sell the rights to Fox, it becomes a reality TV show about College Basketball and in our case how a team of players can run the team themselves…That alone would draw in recruits who want to be seen by a national audience.

The show could even be called "The Burrow"…..

"Last time on The Burrow…."

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

At the risk of putting my head in the lion's mouth, I'm going to ask the question anyway:  What makes everybody so sure that Balado would stick around for the long term if he got the job?  Just because he's a local guy?
Back to the top

big dog;

honestly nothing is solid, esp if balado gets the job and we win the belt or have a good season or two…….the only thing that would possibly keep him here besides his love of south fla would be a huge buy out…..which i think we all think is needed for the next coach regardless of how big of a name the guy is.
Back to the top

Like Nunzio said, there is no guarantee's that he would be a long timer, it's becoming a thing of the past, especially for the smaller programs.  Sad, really.  Put when bigger program wave $$$ it's make it harder to retain coaches.

The question is how big of a exit clause can you build into the contract, sure you can increase it, but by how much without scaring a candidate away from the position you are trying to fill.  You just hope you land someone that is willing to stay for different reasons, then $$$, yet FAU will have to do something to help retain coaches in some form or other.

Back to the top

The said

At the risk of putting my head in the lion's mouth, I'm going to ask the question anyway:  What makes everybody so sure that Balado would stick around for the long term if he got the job?  Just because he's a local guy?

This is my feeling about it. Angelos is a lawyer. He is going to have to use some of those lawyer skills to see if Balado is on the level about staying. He is going to interview him. I mean, those of you that have a few years under your belt, don't you know some people well enough that you know when they are telling the truth or not? Angelos has known Balado for what, 2 1/2 years. I don't know how well but he should be able to figure Balado out.

Angelos knew Doherty and Walters wouldn't be here long. I believe he even admitted it on his blog. He just didn't know how long.  To keep Balado honest, he'll have to have a large buy-out in his contract.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Balado is a Florida guy for life. He had the opportunity to move on last year to a BIGGER program (the role would of been a lot smaller then a 'associate Head Coach, BUT the pay would of been A LOT higher!)

In the end, He knew that FAU and the STATE of florida was his home and he couldn't go!

HE IS HERE TO STAY!  His wife works here, his parents live here…he has built up a GREAT relationship with High School/Community Coaches in the area.

As far as a buyout in concerned Angelos has said that in the next coaches contract, there will be a HUGE buyout. He said, and I quote "In the contract that will be drawn up, if the coach decides to leave after the first year he will have to pay the school 500,000. If he wants to leave the second year, he will have to pay 750,000."

That is some serious money, and he is seriously looking to keep this next coach around for a WHILE….

MAKE IT BALADO!!!

~B U T T E R~
Back to the top

Online petition in support of Mike Balado

We need stability to grow this program, right now we have players that should be prime & ready to becoming solid players, yet with another coaching change how those this hurt player development?

Balado might be the right guy, but I hope that Angelos takes his time & makes sure he does a complete search. before he makes a decision.  I don't want to feel like we just settle for what we already have.  We would be taking a risk with Balado, then again with any new you take some form of chance.  I do think that Angelos need to look to where this program needs to be in 2 & 5 years and which coaching candidate will more then likely get us there.  This is just not an opening for a coach, but a builder, someone that will have the ability to grow this program.  We need to remember all the talk of moving to a bcs conference, this has to be part of the equation.
Back to the top
Control functions: