Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Are we losing coaches because of Craig Angelos?

Add topic

OK, When we lost Walters' I said, "no big deal". But, Coach Cooney hurts. So I started wondering about cause and effect. Since Angelos is looking to fly the coupe, is he causing all this turmoil? Is there something else going on? I ask this out of frustration, and because I really don't like the man's style (just being honest here). What ya'll think?

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

Re: Are we losing coaches because of Craig Angelos?

Are we losing coaches because of Craig Angelos?

Walters just wasn't happy

Cooney was ready to retire

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

prowler said

OK, When we lost Walters' I said, "no big deal". But, Coach Cooney hurts. So I started wondering about cause and effect. Since Angelos is looking to fly the coupe, is he causing all this turmoil? Is there something else going on? I ask this out of frustration, and because I really don't like the man's style (just being honest here). What ya'll think?

What about his style don't you like? Actually, I'm not even sure what his style is. Honest question.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

prowler said

What about his style don't you like? Actually, I'm not even sure what his style is. Honest question.

Fair question. I think that's just my point, what is his style? Look, like most of us, I attend baseball, basketball and football (season ticket holder). At these events coach Shnellenberger, coach coony and yes, even T-Rex consistently said hello and felt appreciative for supporting the university. Heck, even Brogan makes you feel like a team member (yeah, I know politics). They are all basically ambassadors for FAU. I have ran into Angelos quite a few times at the games, and well, the passion and enthusiasm just doesn't come through. Is he projecting the positive and forward thinking we need/want at FAU? Hey, this is just one person's opinion…and you know what that's worth.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

i think that's an unfair accusation about angelos, prowler

i don't believe that's an AD's role… yes, it would be lovely to have everyone (coaches, players, administrators and even your AD kissing all of us fans' asses).. however, i'd rather have an AD running our athletics department, putting together winning formulas and raising money… when looking back since 2003, clearly out football program has been overwhelmingly successful because of coach, but ALSO in large part because of the growth of the FAU community that angelos has administered

p.s. let's not go giving out Rex Walters ANY hospitality awards… was he "nice" to fans, sure, but was as active as cooney or howard in the FAU community? lmao… not even close

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

prowler said

I have ran into Angelos quite a few times at the games, and well, the passion and enthusiasm just doesn't come through.

In all fairness, he is a Mormon. I wouldn't expect too much passion.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

prowler said

I have ran into Angelos quite a few times at the games, and well, the passion and enthusiasm just doesn't come through.

thats so wrong…and yet i laughed so whatever

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

prowler said

Yes, he's Mormon, not Amish. I don't think LDS members are overly serious. Look at Donnie and Marie and the whole Osmond family. Angelos is a lawyer. That might have more to do with his serious personality. Maybe he was beaten as a child. Who knows.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

fauowl09 said

i think that's an unfair accusation about angelos, prowler

i don't believe that's an AD's role… yes, it would be lovely to have everyone (coaches, players, administrators and even your AD kissing all of us fans' asses).. however, i'd rather have an AD running our athletics department, putting together winning formulas and raising money… when looking back since 2003, clearly out football program has been overwhelmingly successful because of coach, but ALSO in large part because of the growth of the FAU community that angelos has administered

Why is it unfair? It's just an observation. My main point…usually when a new AD comes in, coaching changes are made (see UM). Could the fact that Angelo's is actively looking to go elsewhere, made Walters and Cooney make up there decisions to move on?
You talk of fundraising. Coach Schnelly has been responsible for most of the success in football program. Basketball arena revamp…thank hurricane insurance for that. Baseball, well. Look, Angelo's has done OK at FAU…but he could have done more…we want more.

-Go Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: