Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Belt and the Draft

Leodis Mckelvin from Troy went 11 to Buffalo.

Thats really high good for the belt.

Anyone else up?

UPDATE: Tyrell Johnson (Sun Belt Defensive Player of Year) Safety from ASU goes to Minnesota at 43.

Mel Kiper called him the best safety in the draft thought he should've gone instead of Kenny Phillips from UM in 1st round.
Back to the top

Re: Belt and the Draft

apetbrown said

Leodis Mckelvin from Troy went 11 to Buffalo.

Thats really high good for the belt.

Anyone else up?

UPDATE: Tyrell Johnson (Sun Belt Defensive Player of Year) Safety from ASU goes to Minnesota at 43.

Mel Kiper called him the best safety in the draft thought he should've gone instead of Kenny Phillips from UM in 1st round.

I just don't get it lol. You got McKelvin and now Johnson both going so far in the draft. Is it me or did Rusty have plenty of success against "the best safety in the draft" and against a guy who went # 11 overall in the draft?

Against AK State: 22/42 268 yards passing, 3 TDs 2 INT
(Johnson 1 INT 37 yards)

Against Troy: 23/34 291 yards passing 2 TDs 0 INT
(McKelvin 0 int's but 4 returns 155 yards)

Against USF: 23/47 259 Yards Passing 3 TDs 1 INT
(Mike Jenkins - 0 INT)

Johnson was the only one who had mild success against Rusty this past season. Not sure what all the hype is about. Did scouts fail to see these games against FAU? lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

At least FAU wasn't in any of these guys' highlight clips during the draft, unlike when Laurence Maroney was drafted and all ESPN showed was him running over Owl defenders.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Belt and the Draft

You should have seen him against Georgia Tech (shut down Calvin Johnson), Georgia, FSU, Oklahoma State, etc. Then, there is his kick return TD prowess.

Back to the top

Aside from his size (weight which is listed as 215), why is Sincere not on any draft watch list for Linebackers?  He has comparable numbers to alot of those that are currently on the list.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Aside from his size (weight which is listed as 215), why is Sincere not on any draft watch list for Linebackers?  He has comparable numbers to alot of those that are currently on the list.

That's pretty light for an NFL linebacker.  Most of the prospects on the ESPN list are in the 230s and 240s, some in the 220s, very very few under that.  Teams will sometimes draft a player that light if they think they can convert him to a safety.
Back to the top

I don't know about this kid's size but I do know that Tennesse Titans took a kid that wasn't even on the NFL's list of players they expected to be drafted. Mel Kiper Jr. had him on his list as the 66th best DE in NCAA. There are D-II players getting drafted and no one from FAU. I know Cerg isn't the biggest buy but if he's at say 210 right now with a little off season conditioning he can be at 230.

Maybe he'll sign as a FA. I expect Frantz Joseph to be drafted next year and if all goes well Rusty the year after

Back to the top

Eric Walden (DE - MTSU) was just drafted by the Cowboys in the 6th round (167 overall)

this is from the Dallas Morning News…

He's a 237-pound defensive end, which means he'll probably project to outside linebacker. And he's not even listed in the Pro Football Weekly draft guide.

Back to the top

I just dont get it.

FAU players just seem to get no attention at all despite our success. I know we didnt have a huge senior class (thank goodnes) but one would think Cerg would be getting a few looks.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I don't get it either but I guess in due time.

Frants is 6'3" 235lbs coming into this season. If he added another 5lbs of muscle or so and stays healthy and has another monster season like we all expect he will I say he definitely gets drafted, he has good size for a LB.

Like someone else pointed out Cerg was kinda small for a LB 6'0" 215 lbs. Frantz has 3" and and about 25 lbs on him.

It all depends on how we play against these OOC teams. They were just talking about the S from Arkansas State (forget his name) and how the level of play in the Sunbelt isn't as good but he really stepped up and performed well against teams like Texas & Tennessee.

If our guys do well against these teams I expect to start seeing some of our players getting drafted over the next few years

Back to the top
Control functions: