Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Possible addition of one more Bowl game in St. Pete

Why can't the Sun Belt get more Bowl tie ins ? Another reason to get out of this conference quick !! Our program will continue to lose $$ if we stay in the SBC. Hopefully our on-campus stadium will get more fans in the seats so inviting us is a no-brainer.

St. Petersburg could get newest bowl game | Tampa Bay Times
Back to the top

Re: Possible addition of one more Bowl game in St. Pete

Sweet, sounds like this is a little closer to reality.  This would be a great thing for St. Pete.  I know that we can't fill the trop for the Rays games, but one thing about CFB fans is that they are passionate and they travel.  It would be insane if it worked out to be a USF UCF game. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Seriously,

How can CUSA get ANOTHER bowl? They have 6 now, this would make 7?

Jeez that confrence is getting to be like the NHL where every team gets in.

WTH is our confrence leadership doing? GET ANOTHER DAMN BOWL. For a team like Troy to sit out last year was a crime. 8-4 and no bowl. While NUMEROUS 6-6 teams went.

Why is the Sunbelt just a red headed stepchild? Does our commsioner even go to meetings and take part in confrence calls?

BS.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

All we can do for now is hope that the sun belt romps up on out of conference teams (yeh right) and steals these sorts of bowls from conferences that dont deserve it.  NO Bowl should be 2nd place Sun Belt, our 1st Place SHOULD be playing an ACC, SEC,  or Big East team.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

owlfamily said

16 of 30 NBA teams make the playoffs too.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Since all the expansion in the late 90s nearly half of the teams in the league do not make the playoffs.
Back to the top

The SunBelt is going nowhere with its current leadership. Last spring at the annual meeting, the conference chief reportedly offered his resignation. He should give a repeat performance this year.
Back to the top

Troy fans discuss the new bowl and SunBelt:
http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10046
Back to the top

Possible addition of one more Bowl game in St. Pete

Hopefully the GMAC Bowl will pick up the SBC soon. There's also a remote possibility that a team with a new stadium (e.g. FAU) will add a bowl. Once USA and WKU are bowl-eligible each team will play 9 conference games (and only 3 OOC games), nearly assuring that multiple teams will be bowl-eligible every season. It's really on us (fans) to show we can travel to bowl games and bring in revenue. Why would the SBC add a bowl just to lose money on it due to low attendance?
Back to the top

FWIW I believe it's because CUSA has the best travelling bases in the East division, all of whom would travel well to St. Pete if UCF doesn't win CUSA.  I do think that if we don't win the conference we're a lock for this bowl game considering St. Pete can be assured of at least one team traveling well.  Memphis, USM, ECU, and Marshall all have very good traveling fan bases and this bowl would be more appealing to them than a western bowl.

I honestly think the Big East is a bigger question mark than CUSA in terms of fan support.  Let's say a UConn, Cincy, Syracuse, or Pitt gets the St. Pete bid?  Neither of those teams travel well for football and it could hurt the bowls' attendance.

Back to the top
Control functions: