Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd mentions FAU

… in a mailbag question regarding "BCS" vs "non-BCS"… it's not necessarily the most flattering thing to say about us, but still, he chose to highlight "FAU" as his "non-BCS team" opposed to the "Boise States" and the "Hawaiis"

someone told me Dodd is a FAU grad? is this true?

Four reasons the BCS has to go:

1. The NCAA requires certain things of a school seeking Division I status; A certain level of financial commitment and a minimum level of fan support are just two of them. Most of the schools that meet those requirements gave their all to get there. Having the BCS horde the money and the exposure is already choking off some non-BCS Division I schools.

Response from Dennis Dodd

1. I don't have any problem with the NCAA setting minimum standards for entrance into Division I. Remember, these are MINIMUM standards that are pretty easy to meet for an institution that truly has enough money and fan interest to start a program.

You're talking about the argument used by the Michigans and Texases. Why should they share money equally with, say, a Florida Atlantic? Michigan and Texas sponsor football at the highest level – filling stadiums, getting on TV, reaping in bowl money. FAU considers 7-5 a successful season.

At some point the FAUs must become loss leaders to establish themselves. Look how long it took Miami, Virginia Tech, etc.

Some of these schools are looking for immediate handouts when the tradition of the sport dictates that things change glacially.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Re: CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd mentions FAU

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd mentions FAU

fauowl09 said

… in a mailbag question regarding "BCS" vs "non-BCS"… it's not necessarily the most flattering thing to say about us, but still, he chose to highlight "FAU" as his "non-BCS team" opposed to the "Boise States" and the "Hawaiis"

someone told me Dodd is a FAU grad? is this true?

Four reasons the BCS has to go:

1. The NCAA requires certain things of a school seeking Division I status; A certain level of financial commitment and a minimum level of fan support are just two of them. Most of the schools that meet those requirements gave their all to get there. Having the BCS horde the money and the exposure is already choking off some non-BCS Division I schools.

Response from Dennis Dodd

1. I don't have any problem with the NCAA setting minimum standards for entrance into Division I. Remember, these are MINIMUM standards that are pretty easy to meet for an institution that truly has enough money and fan interest to start a program.

You're talking about the argument used by the Michigans and Texases. Why should they share money equally with, say, a Florida Atlantic? Michigan and Texas sponsor football at the highest level – filling stadiums, getting on TV, reaping in bowl money. FAU considers 7-5 a successful season.

At some point the FAUs must become loss leaders to establish themselves. Look how long it took Miami, Virginia Tech, etc.

Some of these schools are looking for immediate handouts when the tradition of the sport dictates that things change glacially.

Wow.  What 7th year program wouldn't consider a 7-5 season a sucessful one?  This is actually a pretty offensive article…Dennis Dodd is a dbag.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Hey Dodd…BTW, it's:

EIGHT AND 5 ;)
Back to the top

Went to a bowl in our 7th year.  Yeah, we suck.

I also think invoking us as an example of schools "looking for immediate handouts" is just a little unfair.  When did we ever demand home-and-home series with major schools and immediate entry into the Big East?

Long before FAU ever had football, however, I thought that the BCS system, not to mention the bowl alliance and bowl coalition before it, were unfair and clearly skewed against the non-BCS teams.  Worse yet, it was designed that way – special rules for mid-majors to get into the bowls and whatnot.  But that's not to say that I think FAU is entitled.  We have to earn our respect just like everyone else.  But there's something to be said for a level playing field, and that's what we don't have.

If that equals entitlement in Dodd's mind, then… whatever.  But I think 50+ non-BCS schools, some of which have a long football tradition, would feel the same way.
Back to the top

Last season FAU won a bowl game. There's only about 30 other teams that can say the same thing (and no others in Florida). I don't think we need validation from a poorly-informed columnist. We had the best season we could possibly have, and that's all that matters. We were conference co-champions, won the NO Bowl, and had our new stadium approved. We beat Minnesota, Memphis, and nearly all of the SBC.

FAU's commitment to playing college football on the highest level CANNOT be questioned. We are obviously in it to win. As Coach says, if your objective isn't the National Championship, what's the point?

So, let's let Dennis Dodd continue writing his columns, and we'll continue winning conference championships and bowl games :).

P.S. I HATE it when people write things like "the Michigans and Texases". That's horrible English. There is only on Michigan and one Texas… it's not so tough to write "schools like Michigan and Texas" instead.
Back to the top
Control functions: