Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bobby Knight...

Add topic

Funny story from the coaching search.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/faublog/entries/2008/04/28/knight_weighs_in_on_fau_search.html

Knight weighs in on FAU search
By Marcus Nelson | Monday, April 28, 2008, 02:31 PM

FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos is trying to conduct the search for the new Owls basketball coach in secret.

Leave it to none other than Bob Knight to force Angelos to have to confirm he has interest from a candidate.

During a speech on Saturday, Knight took a call from someone named “Craig” and the former Indiana coach endorsed - in front of nearly 2,000 people - USF assistant coach Dan Hipsher - a name familiar to readers of the blog as one who showed interest when the job first opened. It looks like he is indeed a serious candidate.

Angelos confirmed he was the “Craig” on the phone and there is a video of the speech - including the Angelos-Knight conversation on the Bloomington paper’s web site, but requires a subscription.

“I was returning to call and he said he was in the middle of a speech,” Angelos said. “I said I’d call back later, but he said he wanted everyone to hear what he was going to say and was putting me on speakerphone.”

Angelos begged me to not title this blog “Angelos contacts Knight about FAU job” so I’ll resist, even though it would be accurate - sort of.

Angelos joked the one regret he had was that he didn’t ask Knight about his interest in the job.

“I hung up and thought that’s exactly what I should have done,” Angelos said.

Remember, Matt Doherty contacted FAU first three years ago to endorse Rex Walters for the job before taking it himself.

Angelos said interviews have begun with some local candidates - likely Mike Jarvis and Mike Balado - and in a few days will have some out-of-town candidates come in for interviews.

Back to the top

Re: Bobby Knight...

Interesting, but i think Bob Knight is all done with coaching.  Even if he wasn't i highly doubt he'd ever consider FAU.
Back to the top

The article isn't really about Knight coming here.  I personally wouldn't want him here anyway.  I think the guy is a jerk..a great basketball mind, but a jerk.

He is a good resource for Angelos though and i'm glad that he is doing his homework on this hire.  The biggest piece of info to take away from this blog is that Dan Hipsher seems like he's a name to keep an eye on.  He's got a really strong resume and Bobby Knight's endorsement.  I don't know the timeline Angelos is working from but hopefully we'll get some answers this week. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

The article isn't really about Knight coming here.  I personally wouldn't want him here anyway.  I think the guy is a jerk..a great basketball mind, but a jerk.

Yeah, he's almost like a more "verbal" form of Rex…he's VERY high on academics…and capable of tantrums at any given moment…

His sytem is suspect given topday's playing style as well…

No one plays extremely fundamental basketball anmymore…it's more fluid and less scripted…

Back to the top

The said

Interesting, but i think Bob Knight is all done with coaching.  Even if he wasn't i highly doubt he'd ever consider FAU.

Seconded, although he is a big name and you have to wonder what that would do for recruiting.
Back to the top

Bobby Knight...

No question that Bob Knight would have huge impact on this basketball program.  He would have a big impact on ANY basketball program.  But did you guys read the article??  Nowhere in it does it say we are interested in him coming here and i'm positive that he has ZERO interest in coming here.

Anyway, i'm just hoping we have a coach named soon. 
Back to the top

The real story here is Dan Hipsher... any opinions on him?
Back to the top

Lm77 said

The real story here is Dan Hipsher… any opinions on him?

Exactly.  That Hipsher was the name that jumped out at me, not Bobby Knight.  I know nothing about him other than what I read about him online.  He has lots of head coaching experience and a lot of experience in D-I basketball.  He's been an assistant in the Big East and SEC.  He has been around the state of Florida a long time.  He's apparently highly thought of by Bob Knight.  From searching the Internet, I found that he was recently a candidate for the head job at Jacksonville State before withdrawing his name.  Here is the article:

http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/2008/as-college-0403-amuskewitz-8d02v5303.htm

USF assistant withdraws from consideration
By Al Muskewitz
Sports Writer
04-03-2008

JACKSONVILLE — Dan Hipsher, the South Florida assistant coach who was said to be a strong candidate for Jacksonville State's vacant men's basketball coach's job, has withdrawn his name from consideration.

Meanwhile, The Star has learned the search committee screening the applicants has cut the field to four finalists and presented their names to university president Bill Meehan. Committee chairman Joe Delap confirmed the list has been narrowed, but declined to identify the finalists.

Hipsher was the first among an expanded list of 11 candidates to have a telephone interview with the search committee. His interview was Tuesday, along with those of Montevallo coach Danny Young, Alabama-Huntsville coach Lennie Acuff and Hoover High School coach Charles Burkett, a former JSU player and assistant coach.

"I went through the phone thing and, really, to drag this out any further with me, after talking with (South Florida head coach) Stan (Heath) and my wife, and just the feel for the situation, I'm probably best to remain right in the situation I'm at and doing what I'm doing,"

Hipsher said. "I've got a great situation here. I'm not comfortable with where that fit is for me there."

The Gamecocks have been searching for a new coach since the school announced that it was not renewing LaPlante's contract.

In confirming Hipsher's withdraw, Delap described the 28-year college-coaching veteran as a "very solid" candidate.

Hipsher has Division I head coaching experience at Stetson and Akron. He also had an impressive stable of references. Among those who called JSU officials on his behalf included Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles, St. Louis University basketball coach Rick Majerus, Ole Miss football coach Houston Nutt and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden. He was said to have Bobby Knight waiting in the wings.

It is expected that on-campus interviews with the four finalists will be scheduled next week. The search committee will be involved in those interviews.

"The committee will be visiting with all the candidates; that's built in (to the process)," Delap said. "We had the original conversation with the applicants and will be called upon to talk to the folks once they come onto campus."

Impressive list of references.  He's a little older than some of the names being mentioned, so you'd think he'd be coming here looking to be around for the long haul.  On paper, he's a strong candidate. 
Back to the top

No:

112-137 at Akron.

29-27 at Stetson.

We need a winner…as a head coach, he hasn't been.

Forget the references…….

Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

No:

112-137 at Akron.

29-27 at Stetson.

We need a winner…as a head coach, he hasn't been.

Forget the references…….

Look closer at his bio.  He turned losing programs around.  That combined with the references makes him a legit candidate, IMO.

Hipsher has shown the ability as a head coach to maintain an already successful program as he did at Wittenberg or rebuild struggling programs as he did at Stetson University and the University of Akron. In four years at NCAA Division III Wittenberg (1989-93), he was 97-18; in two years at Stetson University (1993-95), he was 29-27; and in nine years at the University of Akron (1995-2004), he was 112-137. He earned conference coach of the year honors at each school. He also coached for USA Basketball at Colorado Springs, Colo., in 1997.

At Wittenberg, a program jumpstarted in the 1960’s by SEC coaching legend Ray Mears (Tennessee), Hipsher inherited a program rich in tradition that leads all of NCAA Division III basketball in victories. Hipsher's teams carried on that tradition in his four seasons, winning North Coast Athletic Conference regular season titles each year, the tournament title twice and advancing to the NCAA Tournament three times. Hipsher was named NCAC and Great Lakes Region coach of the year in 1990.

When he moved to Stetson for the 1994 season, the Hatters had suffered three losing seasons in the previous four years. He went 14-15 his first season, but took Stetson to the championship game of the Trans America Athletic Conference Tournament. After a 15-12 mark and TAAC coach of the year honors in 1995, he moved to the University of Akron, which had posted three straight records of 8-18, including a 9-45 record in conference play.

The Zips were a combined 11-41 his first two years, but beginning with the 1998 season won 17 or more games for three straight years and led the MAC in conference victories during that span. The 1998 squad went 17-10 and won the Mid-American Conference's East Division with Hipsher earning MAC coach of the year accolades. He was also named Ohio's college coach of the year by the Columbus Dispatch, edging Cincinnati's Bob Huggins. The Zips were 18-9 in 1999 and finished 17-11 in 2000.

While Hipsher was at Akron, attendance for Zips games doubled at the James A. Rhodes Arena. The Zips led all of NCAA Division I in three-point shooting in 2001 (.433). They led the MAC in overall shooting in 1998 (.472) and 2004 (.466), and in free throw percentage in 2000 (.763).

I'm not saying he's the guy or not.  Like I said, i'm only going by the resume.  But that resume is very solid when you look at it.   
Back to the top
Control functions: