Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Compiled List of Coaching Candidates(UPDATED)

Add topic

With the coaching search now in it's 3rd week and hopefully coming to a conclusion soon, I figured it was a good time to put a list together of all known candidates.  I'm not sure how many of these names have interviewed or if they are even on the short list, but they have been mentioned here and/or in news articles as having expressed interest or have interviewed:

Mike Jarvis
Mike Balado - FAU Assistant
Jorge Fernandez - Miami assistant
Dan Hipsher - South Florida assistant coach
Stan Jones - Florida State assistant coach
Gib Arnold - Southern Cal assistant coach
Scott Spinelli - Texas A&M assistant coach
Pat Chambers  - Villanova assistant
Jeff Price - Georgia Southern Head Coach
Tom Schuberth - Texas Pan-American Head Coach
Mike Jaskulski - UCF Associate Head Coach
Brad Soderberg - Former St. Louis Head Coach (see article in latest post)

Please add anyone that I may have missed or any new names that you hear.
Back to the top

Re: Compiled List of Coaching Candidates

A lot of assistants on that list, which I guess makes sense and gives you an idea how a program like FAU is viewed.  Whether we like it or not this is a stepping stone (opportunity) type of program, yet that doesn't mean we can't find a veteran that will stay here for the long haul (a Howard, Joyce, Cooney type of coach), hard to find, but can happen.

Would we be taking more of a chance with one of those (an assistant) or would FAU benefit more from the veterans like a Jarvis, Price or Schuberth?
Back to the top

Bytor said

A lot of assistants on that list, which I guess makes sense and gives you an idea how a program like FAU is viewed.  Whether we like it or not this is a stepping stone (opportunity) type of program, yet that doesn't mean we can't find a veteran that will stay here for the long haul (a Howard, Joyce, Cooney type of coach), hard to find, but can happen.

Would we be taking more of a chance with one of those (an assistant) or would FAU benefit more from the veterans like a Jarvis, Price or Schuberth?

It just depends on the person.  If he gets the job, I don't think Jarvis would be looking to move on.  Given his age(not many "bigger programs" are looking for someone in their 60s to take over their programs) and his desire to win 100 games at a 4th university and get into the record books, I think he'd be around a while.  Price is another guy i'd expect to stick around.  He's been at Georgia Southern 9 years.  I don't know his history, but i'm sure he's had other opportunities available to him over the years and he has stayed there.  You just never know.  I thought Rex would stay to at least a couple of more years.  Plus, i'm sure that we need someone willing to stay for at least 4 or 5 years is being stressed to candidates during the interview process.
Back to the top

I am slowly coming to appreciate Jarvis' worth to FAU as a transition coach.  In addition to all he has to offer (resident, past glories as a coach, age), he might consider Balado as a solid staff additive.  MB is well established as a recruiting authority in Florida, could continue to grow as a coach under MJ, and present a much fuller resume at the next opportunity for a HC job at FAU. M&M melts in your mouth, not in your hand ;D
Back to the top

NewOwlOldBBFan said

I am slowly coming to appreciate Jarvis' worth to FAU as a transition coach.  In addition to all he has to offer (resident, past glories as a coach, age), he might consider Balado as a solid staff additive.  MB is well established as a recruiting authority in Florida, could continue to grow as a coach under MJ, and present a much fuller resume at the next opportunity for a HC job at FAU. M&M melts in your mouth, not in your hand ;D

Funny thing is, that has a good chance of developing.
Back to the top

M&M v. nice

We want the Mikes!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

they could have a mike and mike talk show
Back to the top

Re: Compiled List of Coaching Candidates(UPDATED)

Add former St. Louis coach Brad Soderberg to the list.  Apparently he interviewed Tuesday.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=805570

SODERBERG INTERVIEWS AT FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Former St. Louis coach Brad Soderberg told Rivals.com that he interviewed for the vacant head-coaching position at Florida Atlantic on Tuesday.

"I'm hoping for the best," said Soderberg, who will turn 46 on Saturday. "It sure looks like an easy place to recruit to. It's a beautiful campus."

Soderberg was 80-74 in five seasons with the Billikens. His best season in terms of winning percentage was actually was his last, when SLU went 20-13. He was fired on April 17, 2007, and 10 days later the school announced the hiring of Rick Majerus.

Soderberg had been an assistant or head coach at the collegiate level for 20-plus years before not catching on anywhere last season.

"I spent a lot of time watching my son play and trying to keep track of recruiting around the country in case I got a job somewhere," Soderberg said. "I was actually on Rivals.com a lot. I spent more time on the Internet than I did cumulatively in my career. I also went to a number of games and practices. And mainly I was watching my son finish up his senior year, which was nice to be able to do."

His son, Kramer, is a point guard who played at St. Charles West (Mo.) West High School and averaged 24.4 ppg last season. Brad Soderberg said Kramer has offers from Wisconsin-Green Bay, Miami University and La Salle, but the young man would wait to see if his father lands a job.

"I'm surprised he's not being recruited more heavily," Soderberg said. "I'm sure I'm biased, but I've also been a coach for 23 years and I think he's pretty good."

In addition to FAU, Soderberg said he had interviewed this offseason for the jobs at Toledo, Detroit Mercy and Oregon State.

Another guy with a lot of experience.  My money's still on Jarvis, followed by Jeff Price, but Soderberg is another guy with a solid resume.
Back to the top

What kind of system did he run at St Loius?  Any idea??
Back to the top

Compiled List of Coaching Candidates(UPDATED)

Florida_Owl said

What kind of system did he run at St Loius?  Any idea??

No idea.  Just by searching the Internet, I see that he was a finalist for the Detroit Mercy(Horizon League) job last month, but they hired former Ball State coach Ray McCallum.  There was an article from a Detroit paper saying he was likely to get the job there, so i'm not sure what happened….Perhaps they didn't want someone named Soderberg coaching at a Catholic school?

Other than that, I don't know much about him.  He has had some good years at St. Louis, was a coach for one season at Wisconsin(lost in the 1st round of the NCAAs), but a pretty much average record overall.  He doesn't have any ties to the area that I can see, but he has interviewed for a lot of jobs lately, so he wants back into coaching. 
Back to the top
Control functions: