Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search...The Final Day!?

Add topic

Seems as though the longest coaching search in recorded history is finally coming to an end with the last few interviews coming today with Jarvis and Dan Hipsher coming to campus.  Here's a new article from Marcus Nelson of the Palm Beach Post:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/05/09/a2c_colleges_0509.html

FAU to interview men's basketball coaching candidates Jarvis, Hipsher today
By MARCUS NELSON

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, May 09, 2008

BOCA RATON — Interviews today with former St. John's coach Mike Jarvis and South Florida assistant Dan Hipsher may be the last before Florida Atlantic decides to hire a new basketball coach.

FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos said he and President Frank Brogan will make an offer to a candidate possibly by this weekend or the beginning of next week at the latest.

"Time is really not of the essence, so myself and the president will discuss it maybe over the weekend, but certainly we will by the beginning of next week," Angelos said. "After we talk to them all, we'll probably be ready to make one of them an offer instead of bringing anybody in for a second time."

Jarvis, who also coached at Boston University and George Washington, said he is looking forward to his interview.

"We'll see how it goes and however they choose to go about it is fine with me," Jarvis said.

A source close to the search said that Hipsher, a former head coach at Akron, Stetson and Wittenberg, will meet with Angelos and Brogan today. Before coming to South Florida, Hipsher was an assistant to Stan Heath at Arkansas.

The Owls also have interviewed former Wisconsin and Saint Louis coach Brad Soderberg, according to a report on Rivals.com.

Soderberg was 16-10 in one season at Wisconsin and led the Badgers to a NCAA Tournament appearance, when they lost to Georgia State in the first round in 2001.

Soderberg was 80-74 from 2002-07 as the coach of Saint Louis and took the Billikens to two NIT appearances.

Other candidates who have interviewed are UCF assistant Mike Jaskulski, Florida assistant Lewis Preston, who was on campus Wednesday, and FAU assistant coach Mike Balado, who interviewed last week.

"There's really about four or five guys we're struggling with who to extend an offer and we still have two more to talk to," Angelos said.

Back to the top

Re: Coaching Search...The Final Day!?

"Time is really not of the essence…"

i guess all this "talk" about players leaving, etc is squashed with that statement?
Back to the top

I think they have to say that with how long they have taken with this process.  If they said time was an issue it would be comical, since the search has taken so long
Back to the top

You always expect to lose some recruits & some to transfer when a coach leaves.

I think it's more important for them to take their time and hire the right person & IMO, Angelo's doesn't want to make a bad decision on his next hire.

Tough decision to be made.
Back to the top

"i guess all this "talk" about players leaving, etc is squashed with that statement?"

Nope, Florida_Owl! nothing was squashed. Players MIGHT be transfering and recruits are no longer interested in FAU.

**Modified, Please refrain from using members personal names.  Refer to them by their Username.
    Thank You, The Owls Nest Team

~B U T T E R~
Back to the top

Coaching Search...The Final Day!?

Butterfly4 said

"i guess all this "talk" about players leaving, etc is squashed with that statement?"

Nope, Florida_owl! nothing was squashed. Players MIGHT be transfering and recruits are no longer interested in FAU.

If you are that big of a baby "I don;t want to play here anymore they didn't hire Balado" or "I don't want to play for Mike Jarvis" then leave! I have the utmost confidence that Jarvis can recruit his own players and he can recruit well. Same with the recruits you don't want to come here.. SEE YA! I'm not going to cry about it, go be a big baby somewhere else

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Butterfly4 said

Nope, Florida_Owl! nothing was squashed. Players MIGHT be transfering and recruits are no longer interested in FAU.

Recruits come here for different reasons and the Head coach is one of them and would imply that a recruits interest in FAU is also tied with an alliance to a particular coach, so if that coaches leaves, that recruits interest in FAU would also diminish and would utterly still be with that coach, but wouldn't necessarily make him a shoe in for the school that the coach heads to, yet you always see one or two recruits follow, why is that.

Regardless, FAU will be effected by Rex leaving, how much will depend on the next coach.  What you will probably see, is some JC transfer coming in to fill some gaps.

Back to the top

It's time to move on.  We are in the process of looking for a new coach, one that will help FAU reach higher heights.

Let's hope that Angelo's does his home work & hire the right person for the job for this particular junction of this programs development.
Back to the top

Jab,

Do you see anyone crying here? I do not!

Maybe you need to chill out and relax…I'm just stating facts, that is all I am doing, and that is all I have ever done! This team HAD a lot of promise….so much for that.

If C.A. wants to screw up and put the basketball team in the hands of some scum bag, they can be my guest. But its only going to hurt them in the long run. Rex kept the team in line and NEVER had any problems with the NCAA…with Jarvis aboard, I'm sure the NCAA will be watching us with a microscope.

~B U T T E R~
Back to the top

Ha!

ps-Good Work Bytor! (I can not spell your first name). for "modifying my post".  I was just calling out the arrogant ones of the group! Nothing wrong with that…we can not have any fun here?  :(

~B U T T E R~
Back to the top
Control functions: