Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Search banter...

Add topic

From Ted's Blog today:

"COACH SEARCH

Nothing new to report, other than the decision should come down this week, and earlier than later. Talked to the deciders on Saturday, and they both had rehearsed well. I do know John Calipari called during the baseball game. No, he’s not looking to get out of Memphis, just chatting up one of the finalists."

Wonder who he was endorsing on that call??

An old story, but may offer some relevance:

"Perhaps Jarvis's greatest college moment was in 1996 when George Washington went to the University of Massachusetts and beat John Calipari's team, which was undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the nation. In all, Jarvis beat UMass and Calipari four straight times."

Full Story

Back to the top

Re: Search banter...

Search banter...

Interesting…If i'm not mistaken, I think there was a Memphis assistant who was a candidate, or at least mentioned early on, but I believe that he had already landed a head coaching job elsewhere.

Angelos should have offered Calipari the job.  He could have said, "We can't offer you anywhere near the money you are getting now, or the chance at a NCAA championship, but if you come here, you'll get to see the NO Bowl Trophy on a daily basis…Memphis can't offer you that!"  ;D
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Interesting…If i'm not mistaken, I think there was a Memphis assistant who was a candidate, or at least mentioned early on, but I believe that he had already landed a head coaching job elsewhere.

Angelos should have offered Calipari the job.  He could have said, "We can't offer you anywhere near the money you are getting now, or the chance at a NCAA championship, but if you come here, you'll get to see the NO Bowl Trophy on a daily basis…Memphis can't offer you that!"   ;D

ha ha ha thats a good one!

he probably did! Lol…
Back to the top

All other things aside (and I do hope whoever gets the job, if not Balado, they offer him a position),every coaching candidate has strengths and weaknesses.  From the outside looking in, I would think that Jarvis may have the upper hand on credentials.  We should be on the cusp of becoming a very good ball club.  Jarvis' background (17 yrs at HS, a dozen or so at D1) may uniquely qualify him for the task.  Specifically, I think our (last year) redshirt Freshmen have an opportunity to become monster BB players, but may require a "coach-father figure" in their lives right now.  I don't exempt Royster from consideration in this matter, as well.  These 3 may be the ones to unlock the team's potential for next year and the upcoming next few years of our transition to more than respectability.

This is not a put down of the other candidates, but if Jarvis wants this job and has indicated he can reach back past his "national reputation" to be both the HS fundamentalist and counselor as well as the D-1 successful coach of GW and yes, SJU, let's roll.
Back to the top

NewOwlOldBBFan said

We should be on the cusp of becoming a very good ball club.  Specifically, I think our (last year) redshirt Freshmen have an opportunity to become monster BB players, but may require a "coach-father figure" in their lives right now.  I don't exempt Royster from consideration in this matter, as well.  These 3 may be the ones to unlock the team's potential for next year and the upcoming next few years of our transition to more than respectability.

There is talk of Royster leaving…

Hughley as well…I spoke to him at the Spring Game and he mentioned that he was waiting to see who the new coach was prior to making a decision…told him that was a smart move…he did mention Marquette - although i dont know how "realistic" that is…probably more "Hopeful"…

Nonetheless, he's a great  guy - class act all around…

Perkins needs some time IMO…hes still got the bull in the china shop mentality when he gets the ball at times…
Back to the top

I love the Memphis joke! Awesome!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I love the Memphis joke! Awesome!

Thanks, I'll be here all week…

Back to the top

Florida Owl are you suprised to hear that players might be leaving?
Back to the top

TrueBlue said

Yeah i'll take the credit for your new Forum name "true blue" nice.

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

I said

TrueBlue said

Yeah i'll take the credit for your new Forum name "true blue" nice.

It was short lived.
Back to the top
Control functions: