Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

No Bowl moves to Sunday, Dec 21st, 2008

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10108

NewOrleansBowl.com - NEW DATE - NEW CHANNEL

After being played on Fridays the past two years, the game is being moved to Sunday, Dec. 21 in 2008 at the request of ESPN, which airs the game. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

"It's going to work out better for us," bowl executive director Billy Ferrante said Wednesday from Hollywood, Fla., where the game received recertification from the NCAA. "This way, fans will be able to come in on Friday and Saturday, enjoy their weekend in New Orleans and still get back home in plenty of time for Christmas."

Ferrante acknowledged that the Sunday date conflicts with the NFL, but pointed out that the Saints are at Detroit that day, a game that is considered unlikely to be switched to NBC's prime-time TV slot that night.

Ferrante said he also is working to renew the title sponsorship contact with R&L Carriers, which expires after this season, along with ties to the Sun Belt Conference and Conference USA, which provide the participating teams. The deal with the Sun Belt, which helped found the bowl in 2001, expires after this year's game, and the Conference USA arrangement runs through 2009.

"We'd like to get our title sponsor locked in first," Ferrante said. "But we're certainly (eager) to get into talks with our conference partners."

The New Orleans Bowl was one of 34 receiving certification Wednesday, including two news ones, the Congressional Bowl in Washington, D.C., and the St. Petersburg, Fla., Bowl. Another bowl game scheduled to be played in Salt Lake City was not certified.

Still, that means 68 teams will be playing in bowls this year. Last year, 71 teams were bowl eligible, and the average for the past five years has been 69.

Ferrante said he isn't worried about the Sun Belt, whose champion plays in the game, and C-USA being able to meet their obligations.

"The ones that might have problems have the eighth or ninth teams out of some conferences in their games," he said. "We don't have that situation."

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: No Bowl moves to Sunday, Dec 21st, 2008

I kind of liked being the only game on TV for a Friday night, but moving it to Sunday does make some sense as far as making it easier to fans to travel & enjoy NO, especially for teams that don't travel well.  At least it makes it more attractive & fits more into a weekend type of activity.

Back to the top

34 bowls.  Where will it end?
Back to the top

wont make a difference for a lot of people since it is still very close to christmas, they should put it on that saturday......make a short weekend out of the trip and still have time to spend xmas with the family
Back to the top

All bowl games come at a bad time with the holidays and all. I suppose it is good it's on a weekend at least. Hannukah starts on the 22nd this year I believe. It sucks because the trips aren't cheap and everyone is broke from buying presents and crap. I guess we will wait and see. I hope we make it there. A killer watch party is always a great alternative too! And even if you spend a ton of money on food and alcohol I can almost guarantee it will be cheaper than flying and paying for accomodations.
Back to the top

No Bowl moves to Sunday, Dec 21st, 2008

I will only be about 5 hours away from New Orleans so I anticipate making the trip again if the Owl's make it.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

If we make it, I'll be there.  New tradition…when FAU makes a bowl, I go.  So far, 1 for 1.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: