Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ESPN: "Jarvis set to take over at FAU"

Add topic

The article says we should expect an announcement next Friday.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3399610&name=katz_andy&action=login

Barring a contractual impasse, former St. John's coach Mike Jarvis will be the next coach at Florida Atlantic University in Jarvis' new hometown of Boca Raton, Fla.

FAU athletic director Craig Angelos was preparing a contract for Jarvis to review over the weekend. Jarvis needs to run it by his attorney and the two sides need to make sure it is agreeable to both before they can decide to move forward. FAU's plan is to hopefully hold a news conference next Friday after Angelos returns from week-long Sun Belt meetings.

Angelos said he vetted Jarvis extensively. He spoke at length with a number of contacts, including NCAA director of enforcement David Price as well as Jarvis' friend, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. If anyone should have a pulse on anything NCAA among athletic directors it should be Angelos. He worked at the NCAA in rules and regulations for three years and then worked in the Miami compliance office for eight years, moved onto as an assistant athletic director before heading to FAU.

Angelos is ecstatic about the current state of affairs at FAU with $10 million poured into the arena for a new floor, chair-back seating, new locker room and state-of-the-art video board. Angelos said the facility went from a gym to an arena that seats 4,000.
Back to the top

Re: ESPN: "Jarvis set to take over at FAU"

i knew it wouldnt take long for this to leak…im just very surprised that it wasnt one ouf our reporters first…

""I really miss it, I really miss coaching, the teaching the opportunity to use the gift that God has given me, to teach young men," Jarvis said. "

Welcome, Coach Jarvis!
Back to the top

ESPN: "Jarvis set to take over at FAU"

I've been relatively quiet on the board lately, mostly because this new  guy on here is annoying and nobody was talking about anything that of importance.

My dad is a St. Johns Alum and I grew up going to the games. He's a solid coach when he has the kids on the court. Off the court he was a lazy recruiter who didn't want to make relationships with high school coaches. He thought SJU's name would sell itself. As for all the allegations and all the other bull, I don't really care because it goes on in every big program but his kids got caught. SJU isn't Stanford academics, a lot of the kids live at home in bad areas and most of the basketball wouldn't be in college if weren't for their ball skills. I don't think they did anything that bad.

Jarvis should be able to get some of the tier two kids from NYC metro area to come to FAU, guys that would normally go to UMASS, VCU, George Mason. BUT he's going to have work those coaches again. I think its a great opportunity for us. I also don't see him leaving for some stoner has been school out west, the guy is 63, towards the end of his career. A. He's not going to be wanted at most schools because of his age, B. He's not going to want to coach at some hick school in Texas.

Good hire.
Back to the top

Awesome news!  ;D

Countdown to next Friday begins….great another countdown.  :'(
Back to the top

Hick school in Texas?!?!?!

You weren't refering to any of the alumni living in Texas as being hicks, right?  ;)

just kidding.

good hire! Jarvis is going to be great for the program

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

:o

I do like the line, this is the place I want to retire - sure he is talking about Boca in general, it does make it seem like he won't be going anywhere soon. 
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Hick school in Texas?!?!?!

You weren't refering to any of the alumni living in Texas as being hicks, right?  ;)

just kidding.

good hire! Jarvis is going to be great for the program

Smitty have you ever been to Lubbock? 

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

We had a lot of good candidates. Angelos and Brogan picked who they though was the best candidate. It may take him a couple of years to turn things around.

His past is behind him. If he was at fault for any of it, let us hope he learned from it.  Be prepared for a little heckling about a thing or two from Jarvis' past from opponents next season .

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

We do need continuity in this program ASAP. And better facilities, to beat a dead horse.
Back to the top

We're pouring $10M into the gym??
Back to the top
Control functions: