Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bigtime woes for FIU...

Add topic

This is sad…they are our rival, but i don't wish this on them…it only hurts the Belt at large…and will majorlly hamper thier athletic endevaors…

I just heard this on the radio…

Due to major cuts they face having to do the following:

1.  Eliminate 17 degree programs

2.  Let go 176 staff members

3.  Freeze enrollment for 3 years

Wow!

Im not making this up…if anyone sees print coverage on this, post it here…i just heard it on 89.3 WRMB…

They also mentioned FAU and that the BOT will meet Wednesday to decide how to deal with 30M in cutbacks…
Back to the top

Re: Bigtime woes for FIU...

Florida_Owl said

This is sad…they are our rival, but i don't wish this on them…it only hurts the Belt at large…and will majorlly hamper thier athletic endevaors…

Wow!

Im not making this up…if anyone sees print coverage on this, post it here…i just heard it on 89.3 WRMB…

They also mentioned FAU and that the BOT will meet Wednesday to decide how to deal with 30M in cutbacks…

Whatever happened to Florida being a profitible state? Budget cuts here, there… crazy.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Wow!

I don't think we are going to be very far behind. 

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Here is a list of the degree programs that could be cut.

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Article on the whole situation.

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Florida_Owl said

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a very similar list for FAU… not looking forward to that.
Back to the top

Here is everything about the proposed FAU reduced budget:

http://www.fau.edu/president/budget.php

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Florida_Owl said

Wow!

FIU's cuts are more than double ours…that's the only thing that will help…….

I dont see how they will continue thier stadium endevor past stage one for some time to come if they have to do the above…that is basically crippling cutbacks…

I dont think it will hurt ours whatsoever since we are bonding…fees will NOT play a part whatsoever…
Back to the top

FAU's endowment is double FIU's. Not sure how much that helps.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Whatever happened to Florida being a profitible state? Budget cuts here, there… crazy.

Legislators and governors get more votes if they cut taxes.  College students don't vote as much as old people and homeowners and old people who own homes.  Screw education – my property taxes went down $100, and that's all that matters.

</angry sarcasm>
Back to the top

Bigtime woes for FIU...

Florida_Owl said

dusky256fc said

Florida_Owl said

Wow!

FIU's cuts are more than double ours…that's the only thing that will help…….

I dont see how they will continue thier stadium endevor past stage one for some time to come if they have to do the above…that is basically crippling cutbacks…

I dont think it will hurt ours whatsoever since we are bonding…fees will NOT play a part whatsoever…

This budget cuts will affect every University in our system, don't be misled.  FIU's cut for this coming budget year from state's general revenue fund E&G recurring funds was around $12 million, which is a  more than the cut FAU will have, which I read to be a bit below $10 million. Due to other strategic non-budgeted (and non-state recurring) expenditures and other internally-generated needs, though, FIU's budget gap could be around $30-$35 million, if you add "unfunded operations" ($5.4 million), "Critical Investments"(about $18 million expected to spend on non-budgeted areas), and reduced by the increase in tuition.  2008-09 Operating Gaps on Page 8 of 23

However, put in perspective, that FIU's budget is also a lot bigger than FAU's, thus the cuts could be somewhat more proportional to the overall budget, not just speaking in absolute terms.  FIU's budget for 2006-07 was a bit over $600 million, FIU Budget while FAU's budget expenditure for 2006-07 was about $480 million.  FAU Budget

Let there be no mistake.  Cuts are going to be painful, regardless of where they come from, and they would be so for EVERY State University.  However, from what I hear, these cuts have absolutely no direct repercussions on the stadium, as we are also, as I explained earlier, bonding the majority of the construction, except for the Student Academic Support Center (to be attached to the Stadium's North Facade in Phase II), which will be funded mostly with PECO "Building" funds, which as you may know, are provided by the legislature from a tax on utilities.  These funds have nothing to do with "recurring budget", and can not be used to offset cuts to an university's budget.  These non-recurring funds can only be used, by law, for building construction.  Thus, no direct effect.

Additionally, news are that the entire CITF funds approved for FIU Athletics was granted by the State legislature, and to be used in part at the fieldhouse section of the new stadium, was approved in its entirety, so FIU athletics appears headed to receive those monies integrally, pending a Board of Trustees' OK, on a meeting on June 12, which would be the last "hurdle".  From speaking to some people very closely related to the financing of the stadium, they are a lot more hopeful, almost relieved (although not totally) with what has transpired in the state…in regards to the stadium construction.

The hardest thing, and from what I read it has been the same with FAU in its quest for a stadium, has been in obtaining donations, in selling Club Seats and Suites, and 'naming rights' suitors.  It's an uphill battle in a bad economy, and those monies are needed, at least eventually, to cover the debt repayments. 
Back to the top
Control functions: