Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Walters: FAU can't recruit because nobody knows where FAU is

Add topic

http://www.examiner.com/a-1415448~Dickey__Walters_can_fix_USF.html

“We plan to take care of our backyard in recruiting,” he said, “but we won’t be afraid to recruit nationally. When I was coaching at Florida Atlantic, people always asked me where the school was. I don’t have to explain where USF is.”

I propose a new rule: when you quit your job don't mention your former employer – ever.
Back to the top

Re: Walters: FAU can't recruit because nobody knows where FAU is

Lm77 said

http://www.examiner.com/a-1415448~Dickey__Walters_can_fix_USF.html

“We plan to take care of our backyard in recruiting,” he said, “but we won’t be afraid to recruit nationally. When I was coaching at Florida Atlantic, people always asked me where the school was. I don’t have to explain where USF is.”

I propose a new rule: when you quit your job don't mention your former employer – ever.

I don't think this is intended as an insult.  Florida Atlantic could be located anywhere in Florida.  Of course people know where the University of San Francisco is located….it's in the name of the school. 
Back to the top

Lm77 said

Dum-dum-dee-dum

This just in from the News Desk:

In Boca Raton today,the Florida Atlantic University men's basketball program has had 19 seasons - dating back to fall of 1988.

While on the West Coast, The University of San Franciso has had 100, since its basketball inception in fall of 1907.

Not that that has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with it.

Now, let's join Connie Peters, for local community events…….
Back to the top

Not sure he said he couldn't recruit, just that at the national level FAU's name recognition didn't compare to USF.  Doubt that anyone would contest that position.  Clearly 19 seasons can't compare with 101, nor (as yet) does FAU have a history of  legendary players the likes of Russell and gang.

FAU was ranked 12th in the nation for (mid-major) recruiting in RWs last recruiting season at FAU, so clearly he could recruit to FAU–I expect that MJ will break into the top 10 for mid-majors as a recruiter if he pushes his east coast connections.

Let it go…if he doesn't leave we get no Jarvis, so maybe an OwlsNets thank you card is in order :D :D

Back to the top

NewOwlOldBBFan said

Let it go…if he doesn't leave we get no Jarvis, so maybe an OwlsNets thank you card is in order :D :D

I agree! Silver lining to the "cloud"…and BLESSING in disguise :)
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I don't think this is intended as an insult.  Florida Atlantic could be located anywhere in Florida.  Of course people know where the University of San Francisco is located….it's in the name of the school.
Completely agree.
Back to the top

He's a tool.  Plain and simple.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I remember reading on one of Walter's blogs or a newspaper article where he said FAU was an easy sell. His blog is gone so I can't look for it there.  Does this guy ever tell the truth?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Walters: FAU can't recruit because nobody knows where FAU is

Let's see: "Florida … Atlantic?" Hmmm, where could that be?

Good riddance.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I remember reading on one of Walter's blogs or a newspaper article where he said FAU was an easy sell. His blog is gone so I can't look for it there.  Does this guy ever tell the truth?

Seems like he might have told the truth in both cases (1) few know where FAU is located, (2) the Sunshine state sells itself quite well, as I believe FAU does, once it is explained WHERE IT IS in relation to beaches, metro areas, etc…..

Persistent petulance becomes tedious after a while.  The man did good things for FAU for 3 years, now he is gone.  I'm sure we will say the same about Jarvis in about 5 years.

Back to the top
Control functions: