Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

South Beach Campus? FAU History

Add topic

South Beach Campus? FAU History

Did FAU ever have a South Beach campus? According to the article below it appears that there might have been one for a short while.

This surprises me as I think I have read the majority of information on FAU's history and never heard of it. Anyone know of any good books, internet sites, etc. on FAU's history?

http://www.centredaily.com/living/story/627210.html
Back to the top

Re: South Beach Campus? FAU History

I never heard of it and I go back quite a few years. I didn't see a time reference in the article except for the Vietnam war which was over in 1975. I'm guessing it was probably closed around the time FIU opened.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FIU opened in 1972, so for a decade or so, FAU was the only public university in SoFla.  Stands to reason we might have had a branch campus down there for the same reason we opened branches all over Broward.  If you can get your hands on some of the FAU catalogs from the '60s, they might have some info.  The IEA office might be able to confirm it with campus enrollment figures, if they broke it down that far back then.
Back to the top

There was an FAU Dade Center in the late 1960s and earliest of the 1970s. I don't remember much about it, but Armand Grossman or Tom Workman might.
Back to the top
Control functions: