Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

PB Post: Guide to finding anonymous rants about FAU online

Add topic

Back to the top

Re: PB Post: Guide to finding anonymous rants about FAU online

::)

Yawn……………
Back to the top

PB Post: Guide to finding anonymous rants about FAU online

Lm77 said

Did you read the article? It's not what some people here are going to say is "another negative article about FAU".

I think it's pretty interesting how universities are starting to feel like they have to become part of social networking sites. It shows universities are starting to take those sites, and the influence they have on prospective students, seriously.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

Lm77 said

Did you read the article? It's not what some people here are going to say is "another negative article about FAU".

I think it's pretty interesting how universities are starting to feel like they have to become part of social networking sites. It shows universities are starting to take those sites, and the influence they have on prospective students, seriously.

Of course I read the article. I was surprised by the extreme obscurity of the FAU-specific examples the author selected. If you manage to find the cited blog sites you'll see that they have almost no traffic. The author was fishing. It would have been nice to have an example of something positive about FAU on a blog to balance the article.

Also, I posted the article because one of the comments there referred people to this site.
Back to the top

hey look! Yet another Kim Miller story that was researched on Facebook. I'm dont know much about journalism but she can't be that reliable when most of her stories lately are researched through a social networking site.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Lm77 said

Of course I read the article. I was surprised by the extreme obscurity of the FAU-specific examples the author selected. If you manage to find the cited blog sites you'll see that they have almost no traffic. The author was fishing. It would have been nice to have an example of something positive about FAU on a blog to balance the article.

Also, I posted the article because one of the comments there referred people to this site.

be careful…

Canadian will invite you over for chili and never stop stirring the pot…

Ha ha ha!
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

be careful…

Ha ha ha!

And what do you call that? I think that's The Pot calling The Kettle BLACK!!

Fire away F_O. I'm sure you have a comeback for that, you ALWAYS do.

But back to the topic at hand… You could call it fishing for a story, but since FAU and UF are aware of this aspect of social networking sites, they obviously are aware that they often are driven by negative comments. That's what the article was about: negative comments. You don't need to balance it with a positive comment, that's not the point of the story. You could argue that she could have included negative comments that were made about UF, since that was the other schooll that said it was monitoring the issue. But would that induce as much of a reaction from the reader as comments made about FAU, the school in our area and not 4 hours away? No way.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

Florida_Owl said

be careful…

Ha ha ha!

And what do you call that? I think that's The Pot calling The Kettle BLACK!!

Fire away F_O. I'm sure you have a comeback for that, you ALWAYS do.

But back to the topic at hand… You could call it fishing for a story, but since FAU and UF are aware of this aspect of social networking sites, they obviously are aware that they often are driven by negative comments. That's what the article was about: negative comments. You don't need to balance it with a positive comment, that's not the point of the story. You could argue that she could have included negative comments that were made about UF, since that was the other schooll that said it was monitoring the issue. But would that induce as much of a reaction from the reader as comments made about FAU, the school in our area and not 4 hours away? No way.

The headline is "FAU, other colleges struggle to control image in cyberspace". That's a loaded premise. My point was that one could easily argue that "cyberspace" has enormously benefited FAU's image, with sites like this one as an example. FAU's student newspaper runs its own blogs about FAU, which were not mentioned in the article. There are many positive things about FAU online.

The idea that FAU has to "control" what other people say about it online is absurd.

The article cites one group (among thousands for all aspects of FAU life). For example, there are groups such as "FAU Class of 2012", where hundreds of incoming students talk about the exciting things to look forward to at FAU.

Finally, RateMyProfessor, also mentioned in the article, is a special case. Personally, I don't like the site, as it gives students a chance to anonymously say things about classes I've taught (including silly things, like marriage proposals), but it affects every school, not only FAU.

I agree with your point that FAU needs to be aware of social networking and support efforts to be more progressive in that area. However, the tone of the article (set from the headline forward) is that FAU has an out of control situation with unbalanced slander from all corners of the Internet, with is truly not the case.

P.S. It's all good discussion – nothing personal. I can't go against a fellow Canadian :P.

Back to the top

Lm77 said

Finally, RateMyProfessor, also mentioned in the article, is a special case. Personally, I don't like the site, as it gives students a chance to anonymously say things about classes I've taught (including silly things, like marriage proposals), but it affects every school, not only FAU.
True although as a student, I dislike the site for other reasons… it doesn't really tell you what you need to know. Students usually want to know certain things about a professor and 'hotness' is never one of those things.

Lm77 said

I agree with your point that FAU needs to be aware of social networking and support efforts to be more progressive in that area.
I support the university treading very carefully here. If FAU bursts onto Facebook with official pages and cracking down on everybody who throws up unofficial groups, it will blow up in FAU's face. Guaranteed. Certain things… like fires, shootings, important things… should be announced on Facebook. The great thing about the FAU CLASS OF 2012 group is that it's current students talking to incoming students… we see how poorly it works out when the institution themselves talks to students (see any and all complaints about orientation, customer service, etc).

Back to the top

FAUtuba said

hey look! Yet another Kim Miller story that was researched on Facebook. I'm dont know much about journalism but she can't be that reliable when most of her stories lately are researched through a social networking site.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. But there isn't exactly a whole lot going on at FAU right now. People are taking classes, a parking lot is being constructed west of GPT, pretty much nobody is up in Student Government, the stadium doesn't have a sponsor, no fights, fires, special guests, etc.

Even Ted is stopping by here to see what we're talking about and weighing in on his blog. Which is great because we love the guy but you see what journalists have to do when they are paid to report and not a lot is going on.
Back to the top
Control functions: