Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Balado won’t be on staff

Add topic

Balado won’t be on staff
By Marcus Nelson | Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 12:49 PM

FAU assistant basketball coach Mike Balado, who was an assistant on the coaching staffs of Matt Doherty and Rex Walters for three seasons, won’t be retained by new coach Mike Jarvis.

Balado was told Tuesday he wouldn’t be on the bench next season after talking with Jarvis about that possibility.

“We had a good conversation, but he decided to bring in people he knows in the business and I respect that,” Balado said. “It’s part of the business and I wish him nothing but the best.”

Jarvis said late last week he hadn’t decided who his assistant coaches would be, but had talked to members of Walters’ staff and had not decided if any would be retained.

A leading possibility for the top assistant is Jarvis’ son, Mike Jarvis II, who is working in the private sector.

Balado, who interviewed for the head coaching job that eventually went to Jarvis, was the top recruiter under Walters and was considered a popular choice to remain with FAU.

“Florida Atlantic is a wonderful place, but I think I’m leaving the program in better shape than when I got here,” Balado said.

Back to the top

Re: Balado won’t be on staff

Bad news. Good luck Coach Balado.
Back to the top

Here's the link, you know, just to make Bytor happy  ;)

Balado won’t be on staff

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

:Grabs Popcorn to watch the Baskeball Forums go up in Flames:

Know nothing about him or the sport in general but judgeing by some peoples reactions there is going to be a lot of frothing at the mouth.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

:Grabs Popcorn to watch the Baskeball Forums go up in Flames:

Know nothing about him or the sport in general but judgeing by some peoples reactions there is going to be a lot of frothing at the mouth.

LOL

You can't fault Jarvis for wanting to go with his own people.  I'm sure Balado will land on his feet. 
Back to the top

I, for one, am very surprised by this…

But, very best wishes Mike!  Thanks for all of your hard work the last three years!  SINCERELY!

Back to the top

Balado won’t be on staff

Understand MJ's wish to bring in his own staff, but Balado deserved better.  I wonder how is will affect Pena (particularly) and the other recruits, since MB was THE MAN. I think also that Riley is off the sheets for next year as MB was the architect of the move to Hargrave, etc..  Continuity of program just took a big hit as far as I can see.

Regrettable.  Wish MJ and MB the best.
Back to the top

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions. Lets give MJ some credit here he's not exactly some no named coach that the recruits are scratching their heads saying "who"? I'm willing to bet every recruit we were interested in, or were/are interested in us knows who he is and what he's all about.

Maybe Riley will see something he likes in Jarvis and will want to sign here. We don't know what's going on behind closed doors, Jarvis may have already had talks with Shine and Pena and convinced them to stay who knows. I think Jarvis' resume speaks for it self as far as getting players into the NBA and getting his colleges into the NCAA tournament.

I know Balado brought a lot to the table recruit wise but only time will tell by who replaces him and who we bring in if it was a good move or not, until then it's all speculation

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions. Lets give MJ some credit here he's not exactly some no named coach that the recruits are scratching their heads saying "who"?

Jab, who are you directing this towards??

There isn't one post on this thread saying that anyone believes MJ is not a capable recruiter ;D

Hey, if MJ wants to bring the next Ron Artest (minus the drama) in to FAU without Balado's services, then so be it  ;)
Back to the top

I have a feeling the Royster won't be coming back now that Balado is gone. From what I've read here it seemed that he was on the fence. There was a facebook group for a petition to keep Coach Balado and Royster was in it and posted saying he wants Balado. If he was already on the fence, this might have been the last straw for him to leave. I hope not though.
Back to the top
Control functions: