Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rod Delmonico interviewing

Add topic

As much as I love Coach Mac, this would be a great pickup for us. However, UCF is also reportedly interested.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/FSU06/80609008

FSU baseball volunteer coach Rod Delmonico confirmed that he will interview for the head coaching job at Florida Atlantic University.

Delmonico, who coached 18 years at Tennessee before being fired after last season, had previously said his return to FSU would be for just one year.

Delmonico was part of there previous College World Series appearances as an assistant coach in the 1980s at FSU.

“We were going to try to do it this (past) week,” Delmonico said.
Back to the top

Re: Rod Delmonico interviewing

If Angelos takes his time with this like he did with Basketball the baseball program could take a big step backwards.  Unlike basketball, the baseball recruits are not already signed with FAU yet and its a damn hard sell to give a recruit.  Yeah come play for us, whos our head coach? oh we'll tell you bout that later.  Just go ahead and sign here.
Back to the top

Interesting "reason" the UT AD fired him…

It amazes me how the "winning disease" affects some folks!  Lol!

Story on firing

This guy looks ULTRA solid:

Link with Bio info
Back to the top

From what i heard from my old man up at UT is that a few of the more influential boosters made a lot of noise about a few disapointing seasons with Delmonico.  They some how got their way(cant really go into details here). Anyways they thought they were getting a quick fix with the new coach (Todd Raleigh from western carolina). Anyways, the majority of the boosters were, and still are not very happy with the decision of firing Delmonico and most wish he was still at UT.  On a side note, when the opening had come up last year Cooney was a favorite amongst a large group of UT boosters.

If we dont end up keeping coach Mack, Delmonico is probably the best guy out their by far.  But it will be pretty hard for us to beat out UCF in hiring him Considering our facilities and salary offers. 
Back to the top

And Cooney is moving to Tenn...

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Rod Delmonico interviewing

What is the chance that if he is hired Coach Lopez will be retained?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

TBRays.blogspot.com
Back to the top

GoRays said

What is the chance that if he is hired Coach Lopez will be retained?

You never know what the new coach will do, I would expect him to bring his own people on staff, now if Mac is hired, that is a different story.
Back to the top

I have found the past few weeks very interesting.  The "National Search" for a new head coach was definitely a surprise for me.  When Coach Cooney resigned, I felt that Mac was the obvious choice.  Personally, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Mac and feel that he deserves the job.  It is not as if the program needs to clean house.  That generally only happens when a head coach is fired.  Mac has been with FAU for a long time and he has helped build the program into what it is today, a nationally respected program that continues to get guys drafted.  With Rod Delmonico, sure, you get a guy who has world series experience..but in the SEC…if you don't go there, something is wrong with your coaching ability.  Frankly, it is interesting to me why he isn't a finalist for the Southern Miss job or the Auburn job for that matter, both SEC schools.  I think bringing in anyone other than Mac would be a mistake for the program and would destroy the atmosphere that surrounds the program.  Mac is not only respected by the players but respected by the community.  He also commands the respect from his players and not only helps them become better players, but better people as well.  Rod Delmonico is a name…but thats it.  FAU needs to give coach mac the opportunity to show that he can be the next head coach of Florida Atlantic…they owe it to him. 
Back to the top

Mac, is surely qualified for the position and should be given an equal chance to interview for the position.

I get the feeling that Angelo's might not want to stay in house, for some reason. JMO.

Like you mentioned Mac has been part of the building process and a HUGE part of where the program is today, and there is no secrets about his recruiting abilities.

Will he get a fair chance?
Back to the top

BaSeBallFanatic said

I have found the past few weeks very interesting.  The "National Search" for a new head coach was definitely a surprise for me.  When Coach Cooney resigned, I felt that Mac was the obvious choice.  Personally, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Mac and feel that he deserves the job.  It is not as if the program needs to clean house.  That generally only happens when a head coach is fired.  Mac has been with FAU for a long time and he has helped build the program into what it is today, a nationally respected program that continues to get guys drafted.  With Rod Delmonico, sure, you get a guy who has world series experience..but in the SEC…if you don't go there, something is wrong with your coaching ability.  Frankly, it is interesting to me why he isn't a finalist for the Southern Miss job or the Auburn job for that matter, both SEC schools.  I think bringing in anyone other than Mac would be a mistake for the program and would destroy the atmosphere that surrounds the program.  Mac is not only respected by the players but respected by the community.  He also commands the respect from his players and not only helps them become better players, but better people as well.  Rod Delmonico is a name…but thats it.  FAU needs to give coach mac the opportunity to show that he can be the next head coach of Florida Atlantic…they owe it to him.

Perfectly stated, let's see if they do the right thing.  I'm not going to hold my breath. >:(

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: