Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Crime in Boca Raton?

Add topic

How bad is?  I've heard that Boca is pretty safe aside from the tragedy at the mall but i've been reading the Boca Police Blotter and wondering how safe is it to live off of campus?  How common is armed robbery and what type of precautions should i take?
Back to the top

Re: Crime in Boca Raton?

The said

How bad is?  I've heard that Boca is pretty safe aside from the tragedy at the mall but i've been reading the Boca Police Blotter and wondering how safe is it to live off of campus?  How common is armed robbery and what type of precautions should i take?

I've never worried about it ever.
I've walked around on-campus at midnight. Nothing.
My car has never been broken into.
I've left friend's apartments at all hours and never even felt uncomfortable.
None of my friends have ever been robbed, mugged, anything.
Boca is awesome in that respect.

The worst thing that ever happened to any of us is someone trying to scam us out of $5 at the gas station… you know, the whole, "Scuse me sir… our car ran out of gas and we're just trying to get home" trick. That happened twice in three years.

So yeah.

Just take the usual precautions… roll up your windows and lock your doors… you should be fine.
Back to the top

The reality of life in South Florida is that you have to be careful. Crime happens everywhere to everyone. This means all of South Florida. Boca has a better reputation, but as you mentioned there have been incidents. The best you can do is be aware of what is going on around you.
Back to the top

The said

i got jumped at the Shell station across from FAU back in 1993 ( i think it is another brand of gas now) and swatted over the head with a tire iron which required about 14 stiches…some thugs were trying to carjack my roomates car when we left the store…

BUT other than that nothing to report! Lol…….
Back to the top

You may not hear much going on in Boca.  But like Lago said this is south Florida you never know what can happen anytime anywhere.  I approach living down here as basically trust no one and always be aware of who and whats around you. However in Boca you will rarely find places where you feel uncomfortable.  Of course though, im from the south so i carry hardware. 
Back to the top

My friend had her mom's car stolen one day, had a brick thrown through her truck window and her purse taken and then on her birthday of all days, her car was stolen as well.
Back to the top

Leave something in sight like a purse, computer, gps,  ect… and you are asking for someone to break in and steal it.  It only takes about 3 seconds with a spring loaded center punch and very little noise.
Back to the top

I agree with everything said above, Boca is pretty tame, but as always you have to keep your eyes open.  Never had any real problems in boca, a wierd guy ran up to my truck at a red light one night real early (2 AM), and that was pretty much it.  Said he needed a ride to a job site, I said "at 2 AM, no way man" and promptly ran the red light and got the heck out of there.

One thing I do recommend is to watch out for scammers.  No offense to any of you guys down there, but it seems to me that there are a lot of people in S.FL looking to make a quick buck, so if someone comes up to you with a deal too good to be true, it probably is.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I was gang raped…but counseling and a little support from my friends has brought me back to full strength.  But I would rather get raped in Boca than anywhere else.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Crime in Boca Raton?

Cool thanks for the info.  I currently live outside of Baltimore so i can't say i'm not use to crime.  Just last summer my dad's car was stolen right out of our driveway thankfully they caught the people who stole it a few weeks later.  We live in the country too.  So yeah i'll just keep doing what i've done since i moved to Maryland and that is pay attention.
Back to the top
Control functions: