Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Tuition

Add topic

Anybody know if FAU is hiking tuition or got the ability to add a differential like UF, FSU, USF? I know those 3 got a law passed allowing them to add the differential, but I was unaware UCF was in the group. So I was curious if FAU could too.

Orlando Sentinel School Zone blog - OrlandoSentinel.com
Back to the top

Re: Tuition

As far as I know, FAU can not raise tuition on underclassmen. Graduate level and all out of state tuition will be increased.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

As far as I know, FAU can not raise tuition on underclassmen. Graduate level and all out of state tuition will be increased.

I thought all tuition was going up 6%… I could be wrong.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

illinoisowl said

You're right. I stand corrected. I just looked it up. I remember reading that underclassmen tuition couldn't be raised but there was no restriction on graduate and out of state so they took that rout to bring in more funds. I don't know how that changed all of a sudden.

Back to the top

illinoisowl said

owlcountry said

illinoisowl said

You're right. I stand corrected. I just looked it up. I remember reading that underclassmen tuition couldn't be raised but there was no restriction on graduate and out of state so they took that rout to bring in more funds. I don't know how that changed all of a sudden.

It's all about the State Budget Crunch…that's why every State College is allowed to charge that 6% more this year, which will only mitigate a very small portiong of the budget cuts imposed to the universities.  Also, there is a new "differential" tuition that was approved earlier for UF, FSU, and USF, which means they will be charging an extra 9% (for a total of 15%) to entering freshmen and new students starting on Fall 2008…From what I hear and have read, UCF and FIU are on the verge of (if not so already) reaching the threshold for the extra "differential" tuition, with FAU also very close to achieving those requirements (I think is reaching $100 million in Sponsored Research and related costs in one year).  I wouldn't be surprised all these schools would start charging that in a year, or perhaps even starting in Spring 2009.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/story/569961.html
Back to the top

FIUFanatic said

Also, there is a new "differential" tuition that was approved earlier for UF, FSU, and USF, which means they will be charging an extra 9% (for a total of 15%) to entering freshmen and new students starting on Fall 2008…From what I hear and have read, UCF and FIU are on the verge of (if not so already) reaching the threshold for the extra "differential" tuition, with FAU also very close to achieving those requirements (I think is reaching $100 million in Sponsored Research and related costs in one year).  I wouldn't be surprised all these schools would start charging that in a year, or perhaps even starting in Spring 2009.
Yep. An FSU alumnus explained that to me. I didn't know it had to do with research. Everybody pretty much agrees that the low cost of tuition is a great thing for students but detrimental to the education those students are recieving… yet Florida has been slow to adopt changes in order to strengthen all the universities.

As I understand it, that's why UCF and FIU "bloated" their enrollments: larger enrollments equal more money from the state. I'm not sure if that's still the case because I remember Florida complaining that it has three universities (with two more quickly approaching) in the Top Ten of Enrollment but none of them are considered Top Ten in Academics. That's part of the reason why this differential tuition got greenlighted. They're trying to get UF into the #10 spot for Academics in the nation.

When the budget crisis hit, the bloated schools stood to lose the most. FIU gutted a bunch of its programs, UF is laying off a load of people… in this particular instance, maybe FAU being a "small" school helped us out.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Tuition

So we are one of the last schools not charging a tuition differential. FIU, FSU, UCF, UF, and USF have all met the $100 million mark in sponsored research and can increase their tuition. Anybody know what our sponsored research amount is?

http://www.miamiherald.com/295/story/576868.html
Back to the top

Lago said

So we are one of the last schools not charging a tuition differential. FIU, FSU, UCF, UF, and USF have all met the $100 million mark in sponsored research and can increase their tuition. Anybody know what our sponsored research amount is?

http://www.miamiherald.com/295/story/576868.html

Yeah, I heard the figure at the BOT Retreat.. what was it… I think it was very close, like $90 million. We need to hire more faculty to raise the number but that's the one thing we can't do right now.

I hope they apply for the tuition differential once we get it… although honestly, look, if we're going to have six schools charge it, then everybody in Florida should charge $2000-5000 more per year so we can be on par with states that offer excellent undergraduate education.
Back to the top

FIUFanatic said

illinoisowl said

owlcountry said

illinoisowl said

It's all about the State Budget Crunch…that's why every State College is allowed to charge that 6% more this year, which will only mitigate a very small portiong of the budget cuts imposed to the universities.  Also, there is a new "differential" tuition that was approved earlier for UF, FSU, and USF, which means they will be charging an extra 9% (for a total of 15%) to entering freshmen and new students starting on Fall 2008…From what I hear and have read, UCF and FIU are on the verge of (if not so already) reaching the threshold for the extra "differential" tuition, with FAU also very close to achieving those requirements (I think is reaching $100 million in Sponsored Research and related costs in one year).  I wouldn't be surprised all these schools would start charging that in a year, or perhaps even starting in Spring 2009.

This Miami Herald makes it official from what I had read, about the 9% differential in tuition.  Now UCF and FIU can also charge (up to) that to new students, and FAU should reach that mark real soon as well.

http://www.miamiherald.com/519/story/576807.html

Also, there is a story in today's Sun Sentinel about the growth….."bloated" factor used for funding in Florida for the last several years and efforts by the BOG to try and change the system's past funding theories.  Both FAU and FIU had grown over the last decade or so by similar amount, with FIU "settling" for the last 3 years at about 37-38k students per Fall Semester.

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

So Florida's universities got bigger and bigger. In 2006, Florida had three of the top 10 largest universities in the country. The University of South Florida in Tampa and the University of Central Florida in Orlando have more than 45,000 students, while the University of Florida tops 52,000.

"I wouldn't go so far as to say we were increasing enrollment to get more money," said Steve Orlando, a spokesman for UF.

"There's a lot of demand. A lot of people want to go school here, and it's our mission to meet those needs," he said.

After budget cuts this year, UF announced a plan to curb enrollment over the next few years. The university is open to discussing a new way of getting money, Orlando said.

In South Florida, FAU and Florida International University in Miami also have grown by about 1,000 to 1,500 students per year over the last two decades. FAU has about 26,000 students, while FIU has about 37,000.

Back to the top
Control functions: