Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CWS: Format

Add topic

Just wanted to see what some of the baseball fans think of the new format the CWS have adopted this year.

Does it help to neutralize the advantage a team gains by staying in the winning bracket and could it actually hurt the winning teams, with longer rest periods?

There is no doubt that it help the teams that find themselves in the losing brackets.

Does it also help neutralize the HOT teams a bit, with the longer series format?

Back to the top

Re: CWS: Format

CWS: Format

It definitely still helps the teams in the winners bracket.  When a team has to win 4 times in 6 days it really hurts their pitching.  Most teams have at most 3 starting pitchers that they can trust in a crucial game.  While teams out of the winners brackets have their pitchers rested and ready to go.  Not to mention the time off for fielders to rest and get over nagging injuries.
Back to the top

I think it hurts teams like Georgia. They have good pitching and are very deep in the bullpen department.  They actually are losing the advantage teams would have in the past by going 2-0 i think.  In the past they would be sitting pretty right now with a deep bullpen and good starters going up against a team like stanford that would be on tooth and nail coming out of the losers bracket.  Its definitely evened things up a good bit.  Now both teams are rested, its almost like they are both getting to start over like its the first game of the series. It could actually hurt UGA more because they havent played in 4-5 days now.
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

I think it hurts teams like Georgia…because they havent played in 4-5 days now.

well, the are up 9-3 right now, so maybe it helped! ;D
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

roscoeowl said

I think it hurts teams like Georgia…because they havent played in 4-5 days now.

well, the are up 9-3 right now, so maybe it helped! ;D

Yeah they pretty much threw my logic out the door huh, as they are drilling Stanford.  :D
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Yeah they pretty much threw my logic out the door huh, as they are drilling Stanford.   :D

Whoah…

Stanford came within two though and rocked GA's highly touted closer for four runs in the bottom of the ninth…

:o :o :o

That guy is considered the best closer in college baseball at pesent from what they were saying…….
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

roscoeowl said

Yeah they pretty much threw my logic out the door huh, as they are drilling Stanford.   :D

Whoah…

Stanford came within two though and rocked GA's highly touted closer for four runs in the bottom of the ninth…

That guy is considered the best closer in college baseball at pesent from what they were saying…….

Yeah what happened tonight agaisnt stanford never happens to josh, hes a hell of a pitcher.
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Florida_Owl said

roscoeowl said

Whoah…

Yeah what happened tonight agaisnt stanford never happens to josh, hes a hell of a pitcher.

That's one thing I love about the CWS, pitchers who have perfect records, incredibly low ERAs, etc…get ripped. It doesn't matter how good they were during the year, you always see the best pitchers get lit up. Anything can happen. I love it.
Back to the top

Good to see Fresno make the finals.

I like the new format, it stops teams in the losing brackets from exhausting their pitching as much and enables them a better chance to advance.  They don't have to worry about playing two games in one day, which was the norm as the teams moved closer to the finals.

These formats still will favor the teams staying in the winning bracket, which it should, I thought it might hinder them with more rest time.  Both Fresno & Georgia proved being in the winning bracket does favor those teams.  I think that the new format makes for a better tournament.

Back to the top
Control functions: