Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Innovation Village Suggestions

Add topic

So you guys know that Brogan wants to make Innovation Village a "hub of student life" that will focus on "food, light retail and student services." If you were trying to fill up the spaces to make it a student hub, what would you want in there?
Back to the top

Re: Innovation Village Suggestions

Innovation Village Suggestions

Cheap-Mid range food

Unique FAU food Experience- I would think a sub shop with lots of FAU stuff on the wall would be great. Someplace to pick up a grinder before the game or whenever.  Check out Tijuana Flats, this is a place that got its start up at UCF and blossomoed into a national chain.

Activities for On Campus students- Bowling Alley, Arcade, Internet cafe

BAR- A cool FAU dedicated bar, someplace to hang and watch the out of town games, and visit before home games.

Reails shops- Ok no clue on this, what would a college student need to buy? I like the EB games idea, but what else? Half the time I was at school I was running to the mall, but my school was very small.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Unique FAU food Experience- I would think a sub shop with lots of FAU stuff on the wall would be great. Someplace to pick up a grinder before the game or whenever.  Check out Tijuana Flats, this is a place that got its start up at UCF and blossomoed into a national chain.
Thanks for responding!

I think Tijuana Flats was started at UF. At least that's what I remember the menu saying when I stopped there in Gainesville.

Regarding the bar and arcade… I wonder if FAU could get a Dave 'n' Busters or if that's too crazy. Arcade, sports grill, open late… kill three birds with one stone. Plus it's an awesome place. I bet even if they could convince DnB to do it, Boca would have an issue with the traffic it would generate… aye yie yie
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Someplace to pick up a grinder before the game or whenever.

There used to be a place called "Grinder's" at Dixie & Glades - home of the "i cant stay in business at this location more than two years"  Lol…….
Back to the top

owlcountry said

owlfamily said

Thanks for responding!

I think Tijuana Flats was started at UF. At least that's what I remember the menu saying when I stopped there in Gainesville.

Regarding the bar and arcade… I wonder if FAU could get a Dave 'n' Busters or if that's too crazy. Arcade, sports grill, open late… kill three birds with one stone. Plus it's an awesome place. I bet even if they could convince DnB to do it, Boca would have an issue with the traffic it would generate… aye yie yie

I thought of D&B's but I think it wouldnt really work. The BOomers would pitch a fit. Ive been fantasing alot lately about opening up a sub shop with an FAU theme. Just a lil local place only doing lunch. Timining is probaby not right yet as I dont think there enough on campus to support it yet. Local business MAYBE.

The two signature subs you ask??????

The Howard and The Beverlee

;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

I thought of D&B's but I think it wouldnt really work. The Boomers would pitch a fit.
A proposal had been put forth to the city of Boca Raton in response to their ice rink RFP that included a Dave 'n' Busters. Had that firm not dropped out and that project been approved, there would have been a DnB on Spanish River to compete with Boomers anyway.

owlfamily said

Ive been fantasing alot lately about opening up a sub shop with an FAU theme. Just a lil local place only doing lunch. Timining is probaby not right yet as I dont think there enough on campus to support it yet. Local business MAYBE.

How much would it cost to get something like that off the ground?
Back to the top

how about a hookah joint, fau bar very good idea, sub place that is fresh and delicious v good idea, 24 hr diner, game store w. a bunch of lan computers so kids can go down there and kill each other, bowling alley/pool hall/darts.

All i know is the stadium needs to serve beer.  I looked it up and its only an NCAA suggestion, not a requirement.  I cant go back to not drinking at games, i just cant.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

how about a hookah joint, fau bar very good idea, sub place that is fresh and delicious v good idea, 24 hr diner, game store w. a bunch of lan computers so kids can go down there and kill each other, bowling alley/pool hall/darts.
A hookah joint would be very forward-thinking of FAU.

Not sure if I posted it or not – I know the director of the student union is trying to get a GameStop-type of store in the Student Union where Student Retention is. He's hoping they would sell AND rent games out of the spot. I think it's a VERY good idea and so does he but the lack of funding from the state may be a problem in terms of trying to pay for the architect and construction to renovate the space.

I have pushed a 24-hour LAN center for awhile now; the computer lab in the Student Union is supposed to have a small section that will be dedicated for gamers, although it won't be 24 hours. The problem you run into is keeping the computers up-to-date to run all the latest games, so you're talking expenditures on graphics cards, etc. Certainly doable but it's something they think about it.

Having seen many, many people playing computer games at FAU over the years, I think a dediated space for computer games would be an excellent addition to the campus.

For the Innovation Village, I'd like to see things like
- Starbucks in an Internet cafe-style
- Crisper's (or Salad Creations… something for healthy eating and for vegetarians)
- Old Navy (cheap clothes) or Pac Sun (since everyone is a beach bum)
- Apple Store (everyone has an iPod and a lot of people have Apple computers)
- MetroPCS (most people have this service)
- FAU bar ("Owl's Nest")
- Video store (probably a mom 'n' pop since I doubt Blockbuster would open there)
- an outdoor store of some kind with bikes, skateboards, kayaks, tents and sporting equipment

stuff like that…

SeminOWL2006 said

All i know is the stadium needs to serve beer.  I looked it up and its only an NCAA suggestion, not a requirement.  I cant go back to not drinking at games, i just cant.
Agreed. That would help our stadium stand out a little bit, for better or worse. I don't think FAU would do it in case people bought beer for underage drinkers, they get caught and FAU somehow got implicated in underage drinking. The administration is always concerned about liability, liability, liability.
Back to the top

Just "lease" the land the stadium is on to a non-profit.  Then it is not really an FAU facility.  Then give only 1 beer per bracelet, and have police around the stands to ensure nobody is drinking without a bracelet.

At FSU they know that people are sneaking in ziplocs of hard liquor and putting them in the bike cokes they sell at the stadium, they have cops everywhere.  People pass out drunk from the liquor and heat.  Id rather have people drinking sensible bud light, the school making money, than the alternative of people getting extra drunk before and bringing in hard liquor secretly.  If beer is only sold during the first half, a 21 year old would be able to drink maybe 4, especially if they dont want to get up all the time.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Just "lease" the land the stadium is on to a non-profit.  Then it is not really an FAU facility.  Then give only 1 beer per bracelet, and have police around the stands to ensure nobody is drinking without a bracelet.

At FSU they know that people are sneaking in ziplocs of hard liquor and putting them in the bike cokes they sell at the stadium, they have cops everywhere.  People pass out drunk from the liquor and heat.  Id rather have people drinking sensible bud light, the school making money, than the alternative of people getting extra drunk before and bringing in hard liquor secretly.  If beer is only sold during the first half, a 21 year old would be able to drink maybe 4, especially if they dont want to get up all the time.

It isn't ever going to happen, I agree with the general concept but never gonna happen. 

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: