Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU a BCS buster...

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/Marshall/200806220318

Pertinet FAU Quote:

Florida Atlantic - Quit laughing. Howard Schnellenberger is still large and very much in charge. It has taken him seven years, but his magic has taken root in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale or wherever they call home.

After the Owls stuck it to Memphis 44-27 in the New Orleans Bowl last December, Schnellenberger reportedly declared, "Advanced training is over … when we go to Texas next season, we're going there to win the game."

I don't expect that to happen, but if it does, brace for an Appalachian State-style earthquake. This is a veteran team with a capable quarterback in Rusty Smith, and it will go on to annoy Michigan State and Minnesota. The Owls will paste Alabama-Birmingham at home.

Also a little bit about UCF on there as well

Many thanks to the NT and MUTS boards for having the article there.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: FAU a BCS buster...

Beat me to it!

Good stuff. I'm getting such mixed reviews of Texas. Some people think they're an overrated team whose young lines and poor pass defense will give FAU plenty of opportunities to score, while others think this game will go the same way the UF or Kentucky game went…
Back to the top

We rolled over in the UF game, pulling our first strings in the second half.

Kentucky and OK state, just lack of experience playing at that level, maybe lack of confidence.

If we can go in there knowing that we can win, this team can do amazing things.  That being said it will take a near perfect game from FAU  to even think about winning with that kind of crowd noise and the caliber of team we are up against.  Losing by no more than a touchdown would be a moral victory.  Winning at all would be a windfall of national press.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

It will be a large task to beat UT, they still possess a lot of talent and depth that we are still trying to reach, which does make a difference in these type of games.

I do think that the offense should do well, the questions will be can this team play 60 minutes.
Back to the top

FAU a BCS buster...

I just want to put a little PERSPECTIVE into this game….

Last time a SunBelt champ went and faced UT in Austin to start the next season:

9-4-04 NORTH TEXAS  LOST 65-0

Please dont hinge your expectations for the season on this game, instead just enjoy watching the team grow and keep begging for that stadium.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

don't forget the scare UCF put into them last year…

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

In Orlando, dont forget that this is NOT a home game…makes a huge difference.  Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

It was already said, but DEPTH is going to be out problem.  I think a big help will be stopping the Longhorn's first drive, and getting us on the board first, with a touchdown.  IF we can do that I think we can contend with Texas for at least the first half, but after that I'm not so sure.  They will be able to sub out players when needed, while we will need every starter playing at 150%.  But who knows, it's still a couple of months away, and the Florida game showed that we can compete, at least our starters anyway.  Don't mean to sound too negative, but I would rather be pleasently surprised. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

walty12 said

smittysahoot said

In Orlando, dont forget that this is NOT a home game…makes a huge difference.  Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

That was also the stadium opener for the Knights, the most electric crowd they will EVER have. They could play that game over again next week and it'd be a different story. The Knights got a lot of bounces that game and they still couldn't capitalize it will take a lot more to beat Texas at home.

Fun Fact: Texas has only lost 6 games in Austin in the last 8 years…less than one a season, it will take a perfect game to be that "one"

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Owls winning, I'll be there in case they do, but they have yet to step up on the road against a team like that.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I just want to put a little PERSPECTIVE into this game….

Last time a SunBelt champ went and faced UT in Austin to start the next season:

9-4-04 NORTH TEXAS  LOST 65-0

Please dont hinge your expectations for the season on this game, instead just enjoy watching the team grow and keep begging for that stadium.

let us not forget that FAU beat UNT that year while we were still 1AA.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: