Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BOT sounds interested in a HOTEL@FAU...

Add topic

From the minutes of a recent BOT meeting:

XI. College of Business – Hospitality Management and Tourism Program Five-year Update

Trustee Blosser asked Dr. Dennis Coates to provide the update on the College of Business Hospitality Management and Tourism Program (HMTP). Dr. Coates stated the program was approved in Spring 2003 and launched in Fall 2004. The program has grown from three students to one hundred and eighty students enrolled. Dr. Coates gave an overview of the status of the program at its five-year mark with regards to enrollment, program highlights, corporate connections, and career placements.

Trustee David Feder asked if it would be a benefit to have the HMTP as a college separate from the College of Business (COB) and whether FAU would consider having a hotel on campus. Dr. Coates responded that FAU decided to develop the program within the COB to give legitimacy to the program due to the high quality of the COB and to sell the idea that the program is a management training and business program. Additionally, it is more efficient because the core business courses are used as an introduction for the students.

Dr. Coates stated the idea of having a hotel on campus has been discussed; it would provide an academic laboratory where students can work. The COB will continue to explore the idea in the future. Trustee Feder stated that having a hotel on campus would be advantageous to the students.

Trustee Blosser asked what the capacity for the program is and whether it is meeting community demand. Dr. Coates responded that the program is not at full capacity and could double to 400 students. Melissa Dallas, faculty advisor for the HMTP program added that students are placed both regionally and internationally. President Brogan commented that this program is growing in an exponential factor with exciting prospects for the future. Trustee Robert Stilley asked if there is a way to reach out to students and people in the industry to sharpen skills, raise money for the program, and build recognition for FAU.

He also asked if a hotel was added that was not owned by FAU is there a way to generate revenue for FAU. Dr. Coates responded that the model that seems to work best for universities is to have the company build the hotel, have management pay FAU a percentage of the gross, and to design the facility to include classroom space and office space for faculty.
Back to the top

Re: BOT sounds interested in a HOTEL@FAU...

Hey they could stick it in the innovation village with all the shops and restaraunts theyre hoping to someday build. Didnt the original plan for the dome stadium include a hotel or something. 
Back to the top

Brilliant!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

sidenote: anyone notice that you can't get to the subdirectories on the fau website anymore?

for example, used to be able to access http://wise.fau.edu/bot/files and poke around, same with the files from the Univ Architect

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

The problem I see with putting a hotel near the Innovation Village is that… it's right in the middle of campus and might be difficult for customers to find who are not familiar with FAU or the Boca area.

Ideally, the best spot for this would be close to Glades or even east of P.F. Changs. That would make a lot of sense because not only is it across the street from FAU, it's right near restaurants and shopping. However, until additional roads (i.e. the I-95 ramp) are built, I don't think Boca will allow anything else constructed on Glades there…
Back to the top

Not enough sustained activity on campus year-round that bring out-of-towners to warrant a hotel. Great idea, but we aren't there yet.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

BOT sounds interested in a HOTEL@FAU...

smittysahoot said

Not enough sustained activity on campus year-round that bring out-of-towners to warrant a hotel.

Respectfully, dunno about that one…

Do they have to be there for an FAU to be a guest? For all intents and purposes, no…

Brand new hotel always draws well…especially in a eutopian setting with its own private police force…

Guests could simply be tourists…

Besides, people are paying high dollar on Federal Highway for old rennovated buildings that offertraffic all night long in thier ear…Lol

I like the idea alot…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

smittysahoot said

Not enough sustained activity on campus year-round that bring out-of-towners to warrant a hotel.

Respectfully, dunno about that one…

Do they have to be there for an FAU to be a guest? For all intents and purposes, no…

Brand new hotel always draws well…especially in a eutopian setting with its own private police force…

Guests could simply be tourists…

Besides, people are paying high dollar on Federal Highway for old rennovated buildings that offertraffic all night long in thier ear…Lol

I like the idea alot…

I agree with Florida_Owl here. I mean, it's one thing if we're talking about the kind of hotel that's on the 4th (?) floor of the Reitz Union at UF. But this would probably be a hotel on Glades that could serve all sorts of general traffic on top of visiting speakers/researchers/dignitaries and sports fans who come into town for home games.

I don't think they'd build a Hilton, obviously (although they could partner with a Hilton…). If it was paid for by state money, I imagine it would be more like a Motel 6 rather than something like the <a href="Starwood Preferred Guest - Hotel Offers and Loyalty Program spg.com ">HOTEL@MIT</a>
Back to the top

I was thinking something more like owlcountry brought up.  Once a new ramp at spanish river ever gets built it would be direct access to innovation village plus it would be the only hotel on the exit.  All the other land is taken up by the new library, the elementary school, the large industrial park which im sure would bring in clientele and the rest of the land is FAU and the airport therefore eliminating any other competition on that exit except for the hotel that is located by the airport in between glades and spanish river which for some reason is always filled.

Just an idea.
Back to the top

This was proposed along with the initial designs for the Dome a few years ago. The hotel would have gone at the extreme southeast corner of campus (along Glades Rd. south of the student apartments). When the mega Innovation Village was rejected the hotel went away.

However, it's tough to see how you can go wrong building a hotel in South Florida…
Back to the top
Control functions: