Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU student representing the United States at the World University Games

Add topic

FAU student representing the United States at the World University Games

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Beach volleyball

U.S. teams won two gold medals, one silver and a bronze Sunday at the Henkel Grand Chelem in Paris, a grand slam event on the Swatch FIVB World Tour. Top-ranked Misty May-Treanor,of Coral Springs, and Kerri Walsh defeated Tyra Turner and Rachel Wacholder 21-13, 21-13 for the gold medal. Nicole Branagh and Elaine Youngs took the bronze. It was only the second time in the 17-year history of the women's international circuit that the U.S. swept the podium. Phil Dalhausser,of Ormond Beach, and Todd Rogers won their first Swatch gold medal this season. May-Treanor and Rogers were named the tournament's Most Valuable Players. … Florida Atlantic's Mark Van Zwieten and partner Joey Dykstra will represent the United States at the World University Games that begin Tuesday in Hamburg, Germany. Van Zwieten, the 2006 South Florida Sun-Sentinel Player of the Year, played for Cardinal Gibbons.

The title of the article mentions the Olympics but this isn't part of the Olympics, right?

And look at this:

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080622/SPORTS/806220391/1010

Record 11 area swimmers qualify for U.S. trials

Swim Florida and Gulf Coast Swim Team athletes spend most of their days in or near a pool. They typically train for five hours a day, six days a week.

They normally swim 7,000 yards in the morning and 8,000 at night. That's the combined length of 150 football fields.

All of that work, done year after year, has led to a history-making 2008. A record 11 Southwest Floridians, including eight from Swim Florida, have qualified to compete at the U.S. Olympic trials from June 29-July 6 in Omaha, Neb.

"It really goes to show you how much talent we have in a small area," said Fort Myers High School and Florida Atlantic University graduate Kyle DeCicco, who will compete in the 100-meter breast stroke at the trials.

"It starts with the workouts. I was the captain of a Division I college (team) and the workouts we do at home are way tougher than college, so it's not by accident we have 11 people going."

Back to the top

Re: FAU student representing the United States at the World University Games

I remember playing against those guys in the sand pits. They were F*ing good. Playing them made me a better player.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Elle Weberg is also going to the Olympic trails for swimming. She has I believe the 7th and 10th best times in the 100 and 200 breaststroke. She might make the team or at least for a relay. And there is a horseback rider who might make the Olympic team who atteneds FAU in the winter (spring semester).

AEA
Back to the top

Well Elle Weberg was the 2nd alternate for tonights 100m breaststroke finale (which means she was 9th) so needless to say she didnt make the Olympic team for that event but she still has the 200m Breast which goes on July 3rd and 4th I believe.

Also I was looking up the equestrian team short list (the 9 possible team members, they shoose 4 to be on the team) and like i said before Charlie Jayne is the youngest on the short list and in his bio on the NBC Olympic site they say this

"Currently, Jayne is pursuing a degree in business management at Florida Atlantic University, and has one semester left."

Hopefully there are other FAU or former FAU athletes but these are just the sports I'm familiar with. I love the Olympics so I excited about possibly cheering for FAU people as well.

Its kinda weird for me as well becuse a girl I swam with my whole life is at the trials competing as a Gator. I'm hoping she make s it so I can say I was faster than an Olympian when we were kids..LOL

AEA
Back to the top

Weberg made it into the finals of the 200m breaststroke that will happen tomorrow night. It will be broadcast on NBC at 8pm. So if your not out for 4th of July tomorrow night you should watch and cheer for FAU.

AEA
Back to the top

dmarkey said

Weberg made it into the finals of the 200m breaststroke that will happen tomorrow night. It will be broadcast on USA at 8pm (they're covering the swimming trials as part of the NBC family). So if your not out for 4th of July tomorrow night you should watch and cheer for FAU.

Awesome!
Back to the top

So when is this happening? Today? Or was it on the fourth?
Back to the top

It was yesterday, she didnt make it on the Olympic team.  She came in 7th (in the whole country) but only the top 2 go to Beijing

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: