Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU turned down UM game for 09?

I saw a post on the FIU (don't ask) board that FAU turned down a game with UM in 09' because the payout was too low.  They referenced the Herald, does anyone have any information on this?  I know we need money but man I would have enjoyed Rusty in his senior year going against UM.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Re: FAU turned down UM game for 09?

FAU turned down UM game for 09?

dusky256fc said

I saw a post on the FIU (don't ask) board that FAU turned down a game with UM in 09' because the payout was too low.  They referenced the Herald, does anyone have any information on this?  I know we need money but man I would have enjoyed Rusty in his senior year going against UM.

Yep… talked about it a little while back. Essentially, they wanted us to play there once in '09 just to plug a hole in their schedule. The payout was low and HS was pretty insulted that after all he did for Miami, they wouldn't even agree to a 2-for-1 with him at Dolphin Stadium.

So we turned it down.
Back to the top

If we are going to play a high caliber team (or name) they need to either pay us alot or offer us 2-1 and pay us less.  Thats the way it is for a low budget program like ours.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

A 2 for 1?  We used to have our home stadium at Pro Player….doesn't that place kind of count as a meet in the middle?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I'm surprised UM didn't budget and agree to this. They would essentially have three home games against us since the games would be at Dolphin Stadium, which is their new home. We would draw better than FIU.

Now if I'm UM…I don't blame them for not taking this. Why risk losing recruits to FAU after the Owls beat UM two of the three times? In addition, FIU doesn't draw well for the UM/FIU brawls…I mean games…so why would FAU draw any better?

I see both sides.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

walty12 said

A 2 for 1?

Yeah…

we win and get paid….2 for 1….

;D
Back to the top

It gets worse guys. Up here in Troy a couple of home wins against Big 12 teams and the home scheduling gets harder.

Go Troy Go
Back to the top

Hemi said

It gets worse guys. Up here in Troy a couple of home wins against Big 12 teams and the home scheduling gets harder.

Eventually they wont pay us the money because we wont be bodybag games anymore. No one wants to have thier "Easy" game actually be a challenge. They want thier easy game to be about money (Which they have) and a Win. No win, No money.

Thats when not being in a BCS confrence stings, because the bodybag revenue drops off.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: